Author Topic: Join Michigan Open Carry in Lansing for a Picnic  (Read 27560 times)

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
Re: Join Michigan Open Carry in Lansing for a Picnic
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 06:09:15 PM »
This will be a MOC event and as Q stated they focus on handgun OC.  However it is a public place and the public is welcome to use the park in any lawful way they want. 

So Pat can carry any lawful firearm he wants.  But he will not be attending this event so the question is moot.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 10:50:44 PM »
Can I bring my A-Team Mini-14?

Only if I can bring my A-Team Mini-30 with the 45rd banana mags ;) I always loved that show, with it's "magical" poorly concealed ramps that launched jeeps into the air. I think they expended MILLIONS of rounds without ever actually hitting the bad guys! But in the end they got the job done & I guess that's what really counts ::)

Enjoy link to show intro (80's TV at it's best)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o-YCy7xCAc&feature=player_embedded#at=48

THE ABOVE was an attempt at humor. No Michigan pistols / short rifles / shotguns etc...PLEASE. Sorry Q for helping Pat hijack & wreck yet another good  thread >:(

This one goes out to Pat:

I don't see where asking a legitimate question is trolling, stirring $#|t, or hijacking the thread.

Instead of just showing up with it, I asked in advance. In the past members have been welcomed with AK47s sporting collapsible stocks. I just thought it would be interesting to bring a nostalgic  firearm that I had fashioned in detail after the show.

Furthermore, I also posted, prior to any legitimate, answer that I was no longer contemplating bringing that one, as I had just acquired a .30cal M1 pistol to bring instead. It is not a rifle nor a Michigan pistol, but an actual pistol.

Any if you answer was an attempt at levity Glocker, why the tirade in response to the registration inquiry?

Just whom is it that is being disingenuous here?

And while Venator is correct that I (we) can bring any lawful firearm (even our toy guns like some kids have), I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to bring something that would be distracting without seeking prior approval.

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Join Michigan Open Carry in Lansing for a Picnic
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 11:26:12 PM »
And while Venator is correct that I (we) can bring any lawful firearm (even our toy guns like some kids have), I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to bring something that would be distracting without seeking prior approval.

I have an airsoft in may basement, Pat. Care to borrow it?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 11:44:52 PM »

I have an airsoft in may basement, Pat. Care to borrow it?

Is that on the approved list? It's not a handgun.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »
GENTLEMAN: remember what Rodney King suggests?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 12:22:03 PM »

Just one more for the road?

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
Apologies in advance, but the temptation is just too great! This is meant for laughs, if it doesn't make you laugh please ignore it. It is not meant to be read into, there is nothing behind it. (Wow, what a group we pistol-heads are that one would have to write up such a disclaimer!)

A government that does not trust it's law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust. -- James Madison

Fast forward to 2011:

A firearm rights organization that does not trust it's members to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 04:58:07 PM »
"Rights" on Jeff.

I'm becoming more inclined to borrow someone's LAWS.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Join Michigan Open Carry in Lansing for a Picnic
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »
Don't trust LAPD guys with big sticks?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
United we stand...except when we lose the mantle of power?

Funny how those who are seen very little (if ever) are the ones who insist on more controversy?

Holstered Pistols 1st, & the long guns/MI pistols/short rifles will be accepted practice in the future, one can only hope. Not right, but that is where we are at in Michigan. When is the last time you (Jeff or Pat) have ever OC'd a MI pistol or long gun in public that was not a OC picnic etc..? It's legal right? So why don't you do it? Simple: it's not accepted by the police/public right? This is why MOC is discouraging this practice at this time, as I understand it.

I believe all law abiding citizens should be free to protect themselves with the best tool they can afford, be it a Marlin 60 (22lr) or a Wilson Combat 45. Just my 2 cents. ::)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 02:09:48 AM »
I have always been ot the position that the picnics and rallies are precisely the place to begin to expose the MI pistols. It has been done before, long before your presence, and it is still what I believe to be the best venue to do it.

Insofar as whether Jeff Sayers or I OC one of these outside of this venue is irrelevant and not germane to this discussion.
Furthermore your insipid remark that those seen very little insist on more controversy is actually inconsistent with the fact that the ones seen most have caused the most problems for the organization.

You like to thump your chest, but people like Jeff who was dragged from his own porch and did something about it don't need to be a braggard about their accomplishments.

Some people were taken down at gunpoint on the strip in Las Vegas, only to come back with a vengeance to the determent of the LV Metro. You will not read of their stories because of their humble character. Yet you can go to OCDO and see pictures from December of 2008 of people OCing precisely where the incidents occurred.

So you see, you have no idea what those whom are seen little can and do accomplish.

Like the signature of one of our members reads... He doesn't fear the barking dog. It's the silent one he fears.

Keep thumping your chest. We all hear you loud and clear.

I boast of nothing. For I have done nothing.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 03:59:26 AM »
I ask anyone who can think to do so. Pat gets his jollies by trying to get folks on the forums worked up. I do my best to support Open Carry in ways that reflect in the best light for all of us. I'm not sure if 50 or more people walking around with AK's / Shotguns / & other "assault" types of weapons is really a good image to put on display for the general public currently, do you?

If I was at the park with my family & was unaware of MOC, or for that matter any grassroots pro 2A groups, I may think a militant group was assembling in the park and be afraid to be in their area. To put it another way just because I have a chain saw with a four foot bar on it, doesn't mean it's a great idea to trim the rose bushes that are in the front yard next to the street with it....right? ::)

It's all about choosing the right tool for the job. When we are trying to foster trust & welcome people to join us at picnics & other events. We want to appear friendly if possible correct? I'm not saying one cannot appear friendly with a AR-15 slung on their back, but they may have to work much harder to convince the public in the park etc.. that they are there for the right reasons and not to intimidate or harm others in any way.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:03:21 AM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 06:19:05 AM »
As Venator pointed out in a 2nd Amendment Shootout program on Flint Talk Radio, the lawyer for MOC said that someone that open carries employs purposely the "intent to intimidate". This concept was accepted by the judge as to why one open carries. That being said, the level of intimidation goes way up (unfortunately) when one carries a Bushmaster .223, or Remington 30:06 etc. into a Kroger or Arts, Beat, and Eats festival. It's convenient for long gun carriers to attach themselves to an open carry pistol event. I guess an event on private property is how you separate the hardware.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »
I ask anyone who can think to do so. Pat gets his jollies by trying to get folks on the forums worked up. I do my best to support Open Carry in ways that reflect in the best light for all of us. I'm not sure if 50 or more people walking around with AK's / Shotguns / & other "assault" types of weapons is really a good image to put on display for the general public currently, do you?

If I was at the park with my family & was unaware of MOC, or for that matter any grassroots pro 2A groups, I may think a militant group was assembling in the park and be afraid to be in their area. To put it another way just because I have a chain saw with a four foot bar on it, doesn't mean it's a great idea to trim the rose bushes that are in the front yard next to the street with it....right? ::)

It's all about choosing the right tool for the job. When we are trying to foster trust & welcome people to join us at picnics & other events. We want to appear friendly if possible correct? I'm not saying one cannot appear friendly with a AR-15 slung on their back, but they may have to work much harder to convince the public in the park etc.. that they are there for the right reasons and not to intimidate or harm others in any way.

You are a hypocrite!!! Plain and simple. You like to talk out of both sides of your mouth. You have voluminous posts, here, on MGO, and at OCDO, supporting the right to strut into the CADL with a shotgun while looking for Dr Seuss books. Yet you want to chastise me for INQUIRING??? Just who is the one trolling??? Just who is the one stirring the pot???

You are being argumentative here solely for the sake of being so. If necessary I could quote at least 17 posts of yours on the various forums, as of my last count quick count, supporting LCOC.

My position has only changed once and that was after Ponderosa. You however are a chameleon.

Offline METL

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »
Can we take it to PM if we want to argue?  The request for LGOC could have been through PM too...   this place is pretty slow post wise lately, and it seems like most of them are negative/argumentative...   I think it makes things come off in a bad light...

I'm sure you'll understand.

Thanks.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 02:41:02 PM »
Can we take it to PM if we want to argue?  The request for LGOC could have been through PM too...   this place is pretty slow post wise lately, and it seems like most of them are negative/argumentative...   I think it makes things come off in a bad light...

I'm sure you'll understand.

Thanks.

My initial inquiry was posted here in order that others could see the response and decide for themselves accordingly.

In regards to your post, why didn't you take your own advice?

A classic case of "Take my advice. I'm not using it."

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »
Glock... I'm sorry if my humor offended you. Again, please disregard it if offends you. I tried to make that clear...

Anyway, my real reason for chiming in today...

...the lawyer for MOC said that someone that open carries employs purposely the "intent to intimidate"...

I hope you typed this wrong. Are you telling me that our own lawyer said that open carrying is an act of purposeful intimidation? Is a poisonous snake purposely intimidating its predators by displaying its bright colors? No, it is a gosh darned warning. "LEAVE ME ALONE OR I WILL HURT YOU!" How can this be interpreted as purposeful intimidation? When the state puts up a sign that says "Warning, bridge may be icy" is that meant to intimidate people driving across it? No, it is nothing more than a warning.

Hell, if anything open carrying is a damn public service by giving such a warning and keeping the thugs with no medical insurance from being put in a hospital at the taxpayers expense. We should be getting freaking medals, not made out to look like a bunch of "intimidating" thugs!

Someone has got to be freakin kidding me here right? Please say this is a joke meant to raise my blood pressure and make sure I am still alive. PLEASE!

Edit: Reported myself to moderator, this should probably be a seperate thread. Sorry everyone!
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 05:09:01 PM »
I read that line as well and presumed that JoeCar meant the CADL lawyer and misspoke.  Honestly, I really, really, and again really hope that is who said it.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline venator

• MOC Member
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 07:43:48 PM »

Just one more for the road?
That was funny.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline venator

• MOC Member
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »
I read that line as well and presumed that JoeCar meant the CADL lawyer and misspoke.  Honestly, I really, really, and again really hope that is who said it.

I hope so too.  The CADL attorney was arguing that and the judge kinda agreed that OC was intimidating and may be brandishing.  OUR attorney stated that in order to be brandishing you have to have INTENT to intimidate and that the mere OC was not brandishing because there is no intent.  The judge kinda got that and agreed that you have to do more than just OC to brandish.

The transcripts will be out soon and then we will be able to read what was actually said and not rely on memory.