Author Topic: Join Michigan Open Carry in Lansing for a Picnic  (Read 27946 times)

Offline METL

Re: Join Michigan Open Carry in Lansing for a Picnic
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 08:16:44 PM »
Can we take it to PM if we want to argue?  The request for LGOC could have been through PM too...   this place is pretty slow post wise lately, and it seems like most of them are negative/argumentative...   I think it makes things come off in a bad light...

I'm sure you'll understand.

Thanks.

My initial inquiry was posted here in order that others could see the response and decide for themselves accordingly.

In regards to your post, why didn't you take your own advice?

A classic case of "Take my advice. I'm not using it."

I'm not arguing.  I'm asking that you don't.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »
Sorry folks, if i misunderstood what i thought i heard. Venator was there as it was spoken.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »
To be clear here's my position on LGOC it is legal. Do I understand why MOC is asking its members not to do it at this time? Yes. Right now we need to get the public on board with pistol open carry first.

Sadly that's just how this has played out. If something is legal then what's the problem? Well using my analogy from above, while it is legal to use a 48" chain saw to trim rose bushes is it the best choice? Probably not.

There are some cases where an individual may find themselves only able to LGOC [18 year of age to 20 years of age] that cannot buy a pistol from a store or for that matter pistol ammo under MI law. Those who are less fortunate and may not be able to afford a pistol. Yes some folks cannot spend $500 to $700 for a quality pistol, for them a marlin 60 / 795 [22lr] or similar "affordable" long gun may be their only viable choice for self defense.  This is what I'm saying here that's all. I will not engage with Pat on the forums anymore, I know better now, I will however support his right to self defense. My hope is that if he does decide to show up at a picnic or other event he honor the organizers wishes be it no MI pistols etc.. ;)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »

My hope is that if he does decide to show up at a picnic or other event he honor the organizers wishes be it no MI pistols etc.. ;)

Since you are the only person promulgating this information, and no one else herein, be it organizer or officer, has commented otherwise, it is a safe assumption that you are speaking in an official capacity? And as such can you elaborate upon the manner, place and time with which you were delegated this authority?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »
Thank goodness on the "quote" being from the plaintiff's attorney. Criminy, I thought I was going to have to go to the ER!

...There are some cases where an individual may find themselves only able to LGOC [18 year of age to 20 years of age] that cannot buy a pistol from a store or for that matter pistol ammo under MI law...

Granted, LGOC is a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation as far as respecting members and respecting (not the best word in this instance, but...) the public. But the point you made above is a very good and strong one. It would be nice if in the situation when this very thing is happening if we could get the media to point out to the public that due to the state's ridiculous restrictions this individual has no other option for efficient self-defense. Point out that while we would trust this individual to wear our nation's uniform and trod foreign soil with weaponry far exceeding what the peon public is allowed to have all while carrying the burden of the protection of our very freedom; "You're just not old enough to carry a pistol responsibly". Is this not the ultimate in disrespect?

Not the golden solution; just a way to make lemonade.
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 01:11:39 PM »
The Q and I have talked and we decided on July 24th, a Sunday.

Where: Lansing City Market (The nearby park) See map at this thread  http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137878
When: Sunday July 24th
Time: Noon-?

We will supply hot dogs, buns and condiments. Charcoal, etc.

You need to bring tableware, drinks, chairs, and a dish to pass.

Dishes can be cold salads (potato, macaroni, jellos, on and on), desserts, snacks, etc.

This park is pretty easy to get to from most expressways. It's access is off of Cedar (One Way-south in this area), Cedar splits off to Larch (Northbound). You can go up to Shiawassee and come back south on Cedar.

This area has lots to do with restaurants, the Michigan History Museum, Surveyors Museum, OLDs Museum, Impression-5 kids science Museum and the Lug-nuts ball-field.

You can fish the river from the sidewalk.

The Lansing Lug-nuts play at 2:05 PM against the Beloit Snappers (Minnesota Twins) Tickets are $8-$20 with a good seat is $10.

Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2011, 02:45:58 PM »
That great. A pol gets posted on various sites. And when the results are overwhelming for the 30th, you decide on the 24th. Why even bother to ask?

So is this something that the 2 of you just dreamed up? Or is there actually some official MOC endorsement of this "event"?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 03:38:13 PM »
Are you EVER happy Pat?    :o

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 09:42:36 PM »
...the results are overwhelming for the 30th...

I know not of this other site you mention, but do hopeth that the participation was far greater than that which is shown here. I heard one of the votes here for the 24th actually had a hanging byte too...  :D
United we STAND!

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2011, 10:18:18 PM »
...the results are overwhelming for the 30th...

I know not of this other site you mention, but do hopeth that the participation was far greater than that which is shown here. I heard one of the votes here for the 24th actually had a hanging byte too...  :D

MGO & OCDO

Offline venator

• MOC Member
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2011, 09:57:08 AM »
That great. A pol gets posted on various sites. And when the results are overwhelming for the 30th, you decide on the 24th. Why even bother to ask?

So is this something that the 2 of you just dreamed up? Or is there actually some official MOC endorsement of this "event"?

It is a MOC event, hence the long gun discussion.  MOC, Inc. emphasizes the OC of handguns.

If it was me then Long guns would be welcome and Pat would be welcomed to carry his little rifle.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »
Pat would be welcomed to carry his little rifle.

Awww thanks for the kind thoughts.

So from what you've said, I take it that just anyone can put together an event. And then just calling it an MOC event makes it one? Of course with the caveat that only handguns are allowed.

How is a handgun defined? Barrel length? Grip? Caliber?

Offline venator

• MOC Member
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »
Pat would be welcomed to carry his little rifle.

Awww thanks for the kind thoughts.

So from what you've said, I take it that just anyone can put together an event. And then just calling it an MOC event makes it one? Of course with the caveat that only handguns are allowed.

How is a handgun defined? Barrel length? Grip? Caliber?

An official MOC event is one that has been approved by the MOC board.  I have organized MOC and non-MOC picnics.  Not a difficult concept.

As for what is a handgun you can refer to the state law and or ask the MOC officers what would qualify for their events.  I can't speak for them in that regard.

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »
Well, all the *loving* banter aside, I would enjoy making it out there but I often find difficulties escaping family duties. Personally I don't care if its handguns, long guns, no guns; it is just cool enough to be able to talk with other folks that can see the world for what it really is.

"Well sir, I really can't help it if my firearm offends you. But idiots offend me and you don't see me asking you to put a shirt over your head do you?"
United we STAND!

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2011, 08:58:02 PM »
I do believe I can make this event! I requested the day off today. I'm quite excited about it actually! It will be good to meet ya'll!

Daniel
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »
Howdy all... Was looking for directions to the park and can't seem to find them... can someone post them here?

Thanx

Daniel
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »
Is anyone from Roseville heading over and want half their gas paid for.   ;D

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2011, 02:20:21 PM »

Hey Fozzy,

I can pick you up if you want? We'd head out around 10:30 am.
I'll send you a pm with my contact info.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »

Hey Fozzy,

I can pick you up if you want? We'd head out around 10:30 am.
I'll send you a pm with my contact info.

thx, but I can not go now.  I have too many other things I have to take care of during that time tomorrow.