Author Topic: Detained by Corruna PD in Shiawassee County  (Read 21971 times)

Offline JoeCar

Re: Detained by Corruna PD in Shiawassee County
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 09:49:12 AM »
I didn't know that Corunna has an ordinance against drawing attention. Can you clarify how the Sheriff dept. could of helped you in this shake down? Corunna p.d. are violating your 14th Amendment rights (fed civil rights statutes). Using "color of law" as their premise, these Leo's unlawfully deprived one of his civil rights through the exercising of official powers outside the bounds of lawful authority. (Timson v. Weiner, D.C.Ohio, F.Supp. 1344, 1347).  A recorder would of been real handy to make some money off of these fools.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Like Jeff, I have researched this topic.  I have found no ordinances for Corruna that deal with the posession of firearms that would apply to your situation, unless the "park" you were in was the cemetery.  Even so, the ordinances dealing with the cemetery is preempted.

Corruna does have a valid and enforceable ordinance against the discharge of a firearm, again, as Jeff has stated.

The only thing there is to change is the City Council level is the cemetery nonsense.

I'd suggest the OP do the following:

1) File in Internal Affairs complaint against the officer who detained you and told you there is a city ordinance against what you were doing, as it was obviously a lie.
2) If the IA complaint isn't resolved to your satisfaction take it to the County Prosecutor's office.
3) If the County Prosecutor's office fails to address it to your satisfaction, contact the Michigan AG's office and explain to them the steps you have taken thus far and what the results were.

You MUST follow these steps in order.  If you skip steps, the latter steps will simply ignore you.

Alternately, you could just forget the whole affair.  The decision, of course, is yours.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Warchild

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
Me being the pacifist that I am and more into the "informing" than "confronting" nature of these things; I would let it go for now. On the other hand, if it happens again...then pursue action. To include the notification to their officers that they must answer and voice a valid reason why you are being detained. Not just ignore your question. 
I can't say that chief williams may/not have recognized the name (CP is my nephew); but I think after the aggravating time he had with me at home depot, he may have learned his lesson and decided not to prolong the detainment any further. I see he still voiced his "opinion" on he knows "why" we carry.

JMO

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 12:48:19 PM »
Well Jerry, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Williams has now twice willfully made trouble for law abiding citizens. And since the city ordinance was (presumably)  changed prior to this event, he is also neglecting his duties by not keeping his officers current.

I would say this definitely warrants a trip to a city council meeting to make sure that the people signing Williams' paycheck are aware of his troubles. Can we confirm Corruna as being a member of MCOLES, specifically as related to insurance?

If this is indeed the case, I would suggest attending the next council meeting with the following outline:

• Corruna is insured by MCOLES for liabilities arising out of the actions of its PD.
  • MCOLES has issued multiple documents detailing lawful firearm possession.
  • Actions by the Corruna PD that violate a citizens right to lawfuly possess a firearm will not be covered by the insurance.
  • On two occassions within as many years(?), 1 of which is documented, the Chief of Police has violated a citizens rights as related to firearm possession.
  • This council itself ammended municipal ordinance (verify) to comply with state law, yet the Chief did not ensure his officers were aware of this.
  • Your Chief of Police has put this city's taxpayers at a great financial risk.
  • As a taxpayer, I request that the Chief of Police be reprimanded accordingly.
  • Further, city ordinance XYZ1.2.3.4.5 regarding firearm possession in the cemetary is invalid.
  • I am further requesting that this ordinance be revised before a citizens rights are violated in this respect.
Of course, CP could also seek documentation of this incident from the Pd via FOIA and perhaps be able toannounce to council that BOTH incidents are documented.

Given that the local papers took the real estate and time to print CP's letter, I am sure they would be happy to send a reporter to the meeting to make sure everyone knows this was presented to council and to be made aware of their responses.

This is not revenge, it is simply a good taxpayer looking out for the welfare of his beloved city.
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Warchild

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 01:38:16 PM »
Disagreement is always a good basis for discussion, no offense ever taken by your point of view.
As stated, this is what "I" would do given the circumstances. It's been 3yrs since my little run in with williams ( at home depot, no incidents since then) and this time he did end the detainment within minutes of his arriving on the scene and make his view known of course. Now had he continued with the detainment for no good reason, then yes; I would be the first one to file a complaint given his background and views on OC.

Best wishes to you and yours Jeff, have a great weekend.

JB

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »
Oh, my memory is a bit fuzzy now. I had thought he was there the majority of the time!
United we STAND!

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »
Got a response to my letter in the Argus Press yesterday. A plus!

My wife and I were at a garage sale today and the lady who owned the place seen my sidearm and asked if I was the one who wrote that article in the paper. I told her that I was. She didn't have a lot to say but was suprised to hear that the police lied to me...lol! ok ???

Police Chief steps over the line
Corunna Police Chief Williams, it appears you are still inclined to harass innocent and law-abiding citizens
when they don't fit into your personal interpretation of right and wrong behavior. Who do you think you are, the
devil's advocate? Daniel Brewer's "In Your Opinion" letter of July 12 prompts me to write in support of him. Chief Williams,
you work for we citizens, chiefly the innocent and law-abiding, and enforcement of laws is the reason for your
uniform. Your uniform allows you to enforce laws that have been legislated. Personal judg-ment comes into play some-times
necessarily basically to protect the innocent and law-abiding, not to harass them. Transgression is not part of
your job. I'm familiar with your in-your-face inclination as I have personally experienced it in your office.
My philosophy was formed and tempered by values of the past. It causes me to expect a degree of humility and
respect on the part of a police officer and, conversely, also on the part of the averagb citizen. It would be nice if the attendant
city police officers and county sheriff's deputies at the transgression against Mr. Brewer were present more for
witnessing than for harassment.
Donald M. Bearup
Corunna
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »
A beautiful piece. Hopefully the members of city council read this!
United we STAND!

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »
...... Daniel Brewer's "In Your Opinion" letter of July 12 prompts me to write in support of him.......

I think I may have known you in a former life.   :o

Shoot me a PM and I can give you some personal details to see if you are the person I am thinking of.

Looks like I cant send PM's (prolly cuz my membership expired) so not sure if I can receive them either.

• Daniel
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011, 10:27:20 PM »
The other local paper (The Independent) printed my letter today! That is a lot of eyes people! What is even better is there was another letter along side of mine...

Page 12  The Sunday Independent. Sunday, July l7,2011
Letters'to the Editor
Editor, The Independent:
    In the wake of the Thursday, July 7, murder rampage in the city of Grand Rapids, as US Taxpayers Party of
Michigan Chairman Bill Mohr said he is calling on the Mayor and Commissioners to encourage residents to law-fully
arm themselves for their own defense and the defense of others.
    Article I, Sec. 6 of the Michigan Constitution reads, "Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the
defense of himself and the state." Mohr says. "If any one of Rodrick Dantzler's victims was knowledgeable and
sufficiently armed, the victim count would have stopped there. Maybe the lives of two children and several adults
could have been saved."
    The text of Mohr's July 10 letter to Mayor Heartwell and the city Commissioners follows.
    "Dear Mayor Heartwell and Grand Rapids City Commissioners,
     'As Chairman of the US Taxpayers Party of Michigan, I want to applaud the Grand Rapids Police Department,
Kent County Police, all other contributing police departments. fire units, rescue and all other emergency units that
participated in the exhaustive incident involving Rodrick Shonte Dantzler on Thursday. They individually and collectively
did an exemplary job of tracking this man and handling the dangerous situation involving the hostages
late that evening.
    "Unfortunately, every society has a number of unstable and uncivilized people that resort to such ludicrous means
to resolve their frustrations.
    "It is the position of the US Taxpayers Party of Michigan and the position of the people of the State of Michigan as
written in the Michigan Constitution that the people be armed in order to defend themselves from such a violent
attack as Mr. Dantzler's.
    "We don't know exactly how the shootings progressed in each household, but had one or both of the adult victims
of the first household been adequately and properly armed, it is likely that he (Dantzler) would not have made
it to the second household for his second round of victims, and maybe would not have been able to kill the children
in the first house. Had he succeeded in the first house, it is unlikely that the three would have been killed in the
second house had they been armed as well.
    "Therefore, in the interest of the safety of the people of the city of Grand Rapids, I would like to ask you to
encourage the residents to apply for and obtain their Concealed Pistol Licenses and thereby utilize the means provided
by the lawmakers of the State of Michigan to sufficiently arm themselves for their own protection and the protection of others.
"With Kind Regards,
"William Mohr"

US Taxpayers Party
of Michigan
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 10:32:08 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder if the GR council will comment...
----------------------------------------
-Greyh

• Daniel
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »
Got a knock on the door tonight. A man read my letter in the paper, looked me up and stopped by for a chat about the whole encounter. He does not have a CPL but has been thinking about oc. I also invited him along to the MOC picnic on Sunday... Very interesting.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 12:35:52 AM »
You're becoming a celebrity.

Offline Markalon

• 2AFirearmsDealer.com
  • First Name (Displayed): Mark
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 12:07:35 PM »
Truly inspirational.
Mark - 2A Firearms, Livonia, MI - I carry a gun because cops are too damn heavy.

2afirearmsdealer.com - Discount Firearms, Ammunition

Offline Michhunter

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 09:59:05 AM »
TELL THEM TO JUST GET RID OF THE CC LAW AND MAKE IT EASIER TO OP CARRY EVERY WHERE!!!!!!!!!! The only reason I am not carrying every were I go is because I need to unarm to get in my vehicle. Because I do not have a CPL. and I do not have the money right now to get one any time soon. :(

• Daniel
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05:49 AM »
I understand. They don't exactly make getting a CPL affordable for everyone, nor do they make transport easy and that is crap! All the more reason for everyone to plan ahead to attend the "Constitutional Carry Rally" at the state capitol this next May 19th! It can only serve to empower law abiding Michiganders!

Offline Michhunter

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
I am planning on being there I thought that was the 12th of may though? or did they change it? :o

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 09:06:58 PM »
I am planning on being there I thought that was the 12th of may though? or did they change it? :o

This says the 19th - http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126858

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »
The way I see it, the Sheriff boys where guilty of violating Article 6 of the U.S. Constitution, not to mention the State Constitution. There duly sworn to up hold the Constitution (The Supreme Law of the Land).
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

• Daniel
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 12:13:23 PM »
Well, well, well!!! Guess what I got in the mail yesterday...??? A letter from the Mayor of Owosso (the city I live in)! On a city letterhead none the less! I wish that I could attach pdf's here but I'll rewrite it for your viewing pleasure.

Daniel-
          As a fellow gun owner, I found your story appalling. Thank you for being willing to share it. Our freedoms are only secure for as long as we stand up against overreach on the part of the courts, govt and police ---- (unknown word).

You have my best wishes,

Benjamin Frederick

Some cool crap boys and girls.