Author Topic: festival in Westland  (Read 8211 times)

Offline FatMan

festival in Westland
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:19:26 PM »
Was threatened with arrest by undercover westland police officer because I was open carrying. The officer was polite and proffesinal he stated it was the chief opinion that wade shows had leased the property and it was now private property and they had the right to have me leavefor open carrying. He stated that he would arrest me if I didn't leave.  I asked him to clarify that the open carry of my weapon was the sole reason for mgmt wanting me to leave. I asked him if covering my weapon would resolve their issue he said yes then asked if I had a cpl. I showed it to him and he left.
Why do you carry that handgun every place you go? Cause it's lighter than my shotgun.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: festival in Westland
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »
We know this is wrong... were you running a recorder and or do you have the officers name and badge number?

Also in who's opinion? the Chief of police?

Personally I think he was just throwing his weight around.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:37:34 PM by autosurgeon »
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline FatMan

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 11:32:08 PM »
Issue resolved. spoke with the Chief of Police. What happened should never have happened in my opinion. I concealed and let my kid have fun for about an hour and a half. I then conferred with Rob Harris I went looking for the officer in charge of the event. I eventually got the Chief of Police for the City.   
Why do you carry that handgun every place you go? Cause it's lighter than my shotgun.

Offline DetroitBiker

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 01:20:50 AM »
What did the Chief say?   

Offline FatMan

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 01:57:20 AM »
He agreed that the event was on public property and that open carry was allowed. He said that he has spoken to his officers.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 02:46:11 AM »
He agreed that the event was on public property and that open carry was allowed. He said that he has spoken to his officers.

Great!  To celebrate here's   ;D

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline FatMan

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 07:35:35 AM »
Yeah issue resolved but not entirely. The more I think about it the more pissed off I am. You know what I am the son of a state of Louisianna medal of honor recipent. My father was shot 3 times in one incident with a .45 while he was a Jefferson Parrish Deputy. So try and tell me I'm not pro law enforcement its a free country waste your breath if you want to. But the bully till some one backs down technique which is what the officer did is bs. Tho its no excuse I'm sure he was probably following specific orders on how to "deal" with oc. He stated atleast 3 times who's opinion (the chief of police) it was, how the private property fairy had waved her wand and turned city owned land into private property .

You know what the constitution for the state of Michigan has provisions for revision if law enforcement is so against oc then get to work and change it. But these scare tactics are crap and need to stop I'm  not some droopy pants teenage skate boarder who's going to take off cause "man the cops are here" I'm a 40+ year old CPL holder(since 2001), 13 year resident of this city. I don't appreciate being disrespected like I was. I plan to speak to the Chief again, the Mayor and the city council.

Let's see if I can effect a little CHANGE! We can HOPE     

Offline METL

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 08:53:31 AM »
+1 carry on!

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 10:06:45 AM »
Hmmm.

Interesting.

I'm planning on attending this event, though I was not planning on OCing (wife and friends from out of town will be with us and the wife is still working on getting used to carring a gun concealed before she wants to let me OC).

It really is too bad, because I'm trying to work on letting my wife get used to the idea of me OCing, and I don't want to have confrontations with the police until she is more used to the idea.

I figured that since this fair was on public ground I would have no issues.  I'm glad you posted this and I hope this gets resolved.   

Anyways, it looks like I will be CCing for this one as I certainly don't want to push the OC issue with my wife and then run into a LEO issue on the first trial run for her.

anyways, /rant off

Thank you for OCing and working to get this fixed!

----------------------------------------
-Greyh

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 01:31:25 PM »
I recommend that you wear a nice thin t-shirt over your rosco. That way no one will notice the obvious bulge. That's my thinking!

Offline DetroitBiker

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »
I go every year on the fireworks night,my wifes Aunt lives a couple of streets down
so we always have the family get together that day. I usually walk around
the carnival grounds for an hour or two before we go back to the house to watch the fireworks.
I will be Open carrying for sure monday night.   8)

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »
Issue resolved. spoke with the Chief of Police. What happened should never have happened in my opinion. I concealed and let my kid have fun for about an hour and a half. I then conferred with Rob Harris I went looking for the officer in charge of the event. I eventually got the Chief of Police for the City.

I'm glad you called the MOC "Hotline". It was my pleasure to offer you some advise and I'm glad it was resolved on scene(to a degree). If I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter, feel free to contact me again.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »
This is odd, very odd being that their chief sent out a full page memo in April of 2010 explaining that OC was legal. Approx. 25-30 of us attended a picnic that same month right next door to the PD and all was well, proving that their PD at that date understood legal OC.

Was this a new officer? If not, we may want to find out if something has changed.

Let us make sure that Westland does not back-slide on this issue. ???

'edited for clarity' :-[

Hey Fatman -> if you want to set up a picnic at the park just a stones throw from the PD let me know. I'd be happy to help out, as I'm sure many others here would too.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:22:21 PM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline FatMan

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 02:14:28 AM »
I haven't made good on my promise yet to follow thru on this with the Chief, Mayor and or City Council but I will. The officer wasn't real new he has come to the park when I was there with my son before. Unfortunately for 90 minutes or so I complied with their BS (because having a cognitively impaired police officer arrest his daddy is still a fresh memory for my son)

I plan on being the bane of their existence in a polite, legal way I'm now Facebook friends with the city of Westland and will be at every event I can make it to open carrying everywhere its legal to.

I go with my son to that park just about weekly some times 2-3 times a week. Lets do a picnic, heck lets do 2 a month all summer long. I'm not rich but I can afford 3 dozen hot dogs, pot of baked beans and some lemonade twice a month.(thanks City of SouthGate's Insurance Company that fat check helps  :D) I think we should have more events more often official or not. Summer time people are busy I like the idea of shotgun effect have more events spread out and people can drop in when they can make it. 

So Thursday 7/7/11 6-9pm Tattan Park Westland.MI cook out/open carry picnic will post in event area also

Hey Glock9mmOldstyle: lets talk pm me

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 06:56:08 AM by FatboyCykes »

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 11:51:44 PM »
I haven't made good on my promise yet to follow thru on this with the Chief, Mayor and or City Council but I will. The officer wasn't real new he has come to the park when I was there with my son before. Unfortunately for 90 minutes or so I complied with their BS (because having a cognitively impaired police officer arrest his daddy is still a fresh memory for my son)

I plan on being the bane of their existence in a polite, legal way I'm now Facebook friends with the city of Westland and will be at every event I can make it to open carrying everywhere its legal to.

I go with my son to that park just about weekly some times 2-3 times a week. Lets do a picnic, heck lets do 2 a month all summer long. I'm not rich but I can afford 3 dozen hot dogs, pot of baked beans and some lemonade twice a month.(thanks City of SouthGate's Insurance Company that fat check helps  :D) I think we should have more events more often official or not. Summer time people are busy I like the idea of shotgun effect have more events spread out and people can drop in when they can make it. 

So Thursday 7/7/11 6-9pm Tattan Park Westland.MI cook out/open carry picnic will post in event area also

Hey Glock9mmOldstyle: lets talk pm me

I'll do my best to make it & bring others along for the food & friendship ;)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 08:41:41 AM »
Before i make the drive from Fenton, is the Tatton Park cookout still on tonight? I'd like confirmation before 5pm. Will it be easy to find your location in the park? The park address is 36651 Ford Rd. Westland, across from the Texas Roadhouse restaurant.

Offline FatMan

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »
Yes yes and yes. Sorry I've had a busy week its probably not going to be a big turn out but,yes. I will be there .

Offline FatMan

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
I'll be at the pavilion in the north east corner of the park near the play-scape. Any questions cal 734-752-1390