Author Topic: OC in South Lyon  (Read 4155 times)

Offline MoToX20

OC in South Lyon
« on: June 23, 2011, 08:00:58 PM »
Been OC'ing for a couple years, got my CPL after getting out of the Army. Was in Larry's Foodland and got into a conversation with a cashier about the gun laws when he saw me OC'ing. Kinda went something like:

Him: Hey, you a cop?
Me: No, just OC'ing.
Him: You know you need a license to carry one of those things...
Me: Not to open carry
Him: OH YES YOU DO!(This was in a very serious and authoritative tone)
Me: No...you don't. Michigan doesn't require you to have a CPL or any type of license to open carry but I do have a CPL. (I bolded this part for a reason, I'll explain in the next paragraph.)
I went on to explain the basics of MI law relating to guns and directed him to a few sites.

So it's a bout a week later and I'm up there around midnight grabbing some stuff for the morning, same guy is there and he's outside smoking with a couple others. My gun was concealed at this point, was wearing a fairly big hoody cause it was winter and I walked by him with my holster opposite him so I'm pretty sure he didn't even know for sure if I had my gun on me. Anyways after about 5 minutes I go to check out and one of his buddies is ringing me up, low and behold there's a problem with the cash register, move to the next one and the same thing... It was pretty obvious what he was doing, he wasn't a very good actor. I noticed him keeping an eye outside and about 10 seconds after he got the register to work the cops came in. I knew immediately what was going on and they asked me for ID and I politely offered up my CPL with it, mainly because I knew they were called to the store and not just being jerks. We went outside and after they looked over my stuff I asked them if someone had called them and they told me it was the same guy that I had the above conversation with, hence the bold text about me telling him I had a CPL. They were very cool about everything and I was telling them about the convo I had with the guy in the store and when I did the "OH YES YOU DO!" impression they both starting laughing pretty hard and said that was a pretty good imitation of him. Apparently they get too many calls from him about things that just waste their time.

Gotta love the setup these two guys thought they were pulling, they were probably figuring I'd be hauled away in hand cuffs. They didn't look thrilled when I left, but at the very least I hope they learned something about the gun laws. The thing that really gets me is that at that point I had been going up there every other day or so for about a year, the store is about 50 yards from my walk out basement so it's a really quick walk. This guy knew me and could have talked to me about it or spent 5 minutes looking up the laws at home after our convo instead of just waiting for me to show up and trying to have me arrested.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
Re: OC in South Lyon
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:07:28 PM »
where in so. lyon?? i'm not far from there if you need some additional "customers" OC in there.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline METL

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 08:34:48 PM »
What a douche bag.  Did you make sure to smile and wave as you left?   I'm pretty sure I would have had a hard time not saying something like "awwww.. too bad you couldn't get me arrested fgt"..... 

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:10:21 PM »
Funny, shame for them though to lose a customer. Shame you "have" to find a new store too!
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline MoToX20

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 02:08:31 PM »
It was at the Larry's Foodland at the corner of 10 Mile and Pontiac Trail.

I definitely gave him a little wave a smirk on my way out. Unfortunately I do still have to go up there occasionally, I try not to go at night when he's working. I've been going up there for so long and I like everyone else that works there and it's literally a 20 second walk out my back door and I just can't bring myself to waste gas to go anywhere else, besides I'm moving in a couple months so it won't matter.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:36:06 AM »
By you still going there, NOTHING was gained by anybody. You agree that their silly behavior is acceptable and they continue to collect your cash.

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »
By you still going there, NOTHING was gained by anybody. You agree that their silly behavior is acceptable and they continue to collect your cash.

One could also make the argument that by not going back he was allowing the misguided employee to have a victory - in that the employee got what he wanted (getting rid of the man with the gun).

I think the best possible outcome would be that this employee's manager is spoken to and the employee is disciplined for harassing customers...
----------------------------------------
-Greyh

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:14:49 PM »
Because one employee is personally against oc, does not mean that we abandon our goal in educating our fellow citizens on their Constitutional rights. We are informed enough to understand that we have a right to our life, and thus we have the right to defend it.