Author Topic: good starter 1911?  (Read 19156 times)

Offline rabbivj

good starter 1911?
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:13:55 AM »
I posted this over on MGO but i know some ppl here dont go to MGO on principle...anyway, im looking @ purchasing a good starter 1911.  Im looking @ spending 600-900...looking @ the Kimber Custom II, Ultra Carry, Taurus PT1911 or Springfield Mil-Spec...if im that Desperate i might go RIA...what syay yall?
"Ex quocumque facere poteris te sauciabit, nihilo comprehenso."

-NRA,GSSF,GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
-Glock Certified Armorer
-NRA Certified Instructor
-NRA Certified RSO

stainless1911

Re: good starter 1911?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »
If I had the money, I would buy the Kimber custom eclipse II right now.

Offline EM87

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »
I've heard American Classic is a great brand for the price.
"You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87 (from opencarry.org)

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 05:02:24 PM »
I've heard American Classic is a great brand for the price.

And he heard that from me.  I have a full size American Classic and an officers (compact) Citadel.  They are both made in the Philippines with the American Classic being made by Metro Arms and the Citadel being made by Armscor.  Armscor also makes all the Rock Island Armory 1911s, the Citadel is the same gun just with a different name on the side.

They are both fine starter 1911s but IMO the American Classic is the better of the two.  The fit and finish is tighter and the bluing is great.  The stock grips are a bit janky but grips are the first thing most 1911 owners change  ;D  Mine has been completely flawless with whatever ammo I've run through it.  They have a lifetime warranty for the original owner and one of the main warranty centers, Colorado Gun Works has a really good reputation (as do the Armscor warranty smiths in Pahrump NV).

Hit up the different 1911 forums and look at all the good reviews for this "value" pistol.  The word is getting out and they are sometimes difficult to find because the factory can't keep up with demand.  I am currently waiting for the new commander sized to hit the shelves but I expect to have to look for a while since the pre-orders are stacking up.

Bronson
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:49:17 AM by Bronson »
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline nooner426

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:06:40 PM »
I just posted a response to someone on mgo.
Springfield is very nice, as is Colt and S&W...stay away from Kimber... they got too large and the quality and service have suffered greatly.
If you go springer, find one that has a serial # starting with NM..they are assembled in USA.. the M# is not.
Sig has a very nice 1911 with NO mim (metal injection molding) parts which fail more often (kimber is full of these)
and a good price.
I purchased a Springfield TRP Loaded, the loaded is an option package, and it is by far my favorite shooter.

Offline Beerme

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:00:52 AM »
Springfield
Do not consider taurus
ever

stainless1911

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 01:17:59 AM »
Agreed.
SA means Simply Awesome

Offline Bronson

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 02:59:22 AM »
I just ran another 50 flawless rounds through each of my cheap, Filippino, 1911s.  One is a full size and one is a compact.  My girlfriend and I shot two handed, one handed strong side, and one handed weak side with zero problems.  We were also shooting el cheapo WWB ammo.  For the best value it's hard to beat the 1911s offered by Metro Arms or Armscor.

A friend also recently picked up an Armscor made Rock Island Armory compact 1911.  He wanted a Sprinfield loaded but couldn't find a stainless one.  He was skeptical about the Philippine made guns but after shooting mine he took the plunge.  He has been running it through some serious endurance tests and he is thoroughly impressed.  It is just as accurate as his Springer full sized and the slide to frame fit is tighter and the overall fit & finish is at least as good if not better.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline ISMOID

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:18:46 PM »
Do not consider taurus ever
Taurus PT1911 is my daily carry. I have several thousand rounds through it.
Do you now or have you previously owned one?

Offline Beerme

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 09:36:36 AM »
I have owned two taurus' and from my experiences with them I refuse to own or opperate anything that company manufactures

Offline ISMOID

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »
were they PT1911?

Offline Beerme

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 09:42:14 AM »
the two I have owned were taurus revolvers
I have looked at quite a few of the pt1911s when shopping for them(before i got the revolvers)
they all were loosely fitted, trigger was sloppy, thumb safety was loose on each one I looked at, Even their "special model" (stainless with fake gold accents)
The two revolvers I had both had the same problem of the cylinder retaining screw shooting itself loose and the cylinder falling off the revolver frame, which I found out was a VERY COMMON problem with taurus revolvers.
based on how common that happened to people and that it happened to BOTH of my revolvers, and on the horrible quality I saw in the 1911 I refuse to own or shoot anything taurus makes.

Offline ISMOID

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
I have looked at quite a few of the pt1911s
Maybe I read it wrong but the OP wanted to know about 1911s not revolvers. Maybe you should save your comments until someone wants to know about a Taurus revolver.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »
Nail polish will correct the loose screw problem.

Also I have shot a friends PT1911 that has over 10,000 rounds through it and the only thing that has had to be replaced are the springs.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Beerme

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »
Maybe I read it wrong but the OP wanted to know about 1911s not revolvers. Maybe you should save your comments until someone wants to know about a Taurus revolver.

If youre done flexing your E Badass muscle's now and read what I said about Taurus revolvers instead of ignoring what you dont want to see you will see where I mention 1911s :D
I stated a comment about TAURUS in general, not just their 1911s all of their cheaply made cheaply priced handguns.
When they produce something with actual quality and originality instead of a knockoff of another design(judge, 24/7 series, their PT92) then they will earn a little bit of respect back.
As for yourself keep your pompus arrogant attitude off your keyboard.
You asked
I answered

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »

If youre done flexing your E Badass muscle's now and read what I said about Taurus revolvers instead of ignoring what you dont want to see you will see where I mention 1911s :D
I stated a comment about TAURUS in general, not just their 1911s all of their cheaply made cheaply priced handguns.
When they produce something with actual quality and originality instead of a knockoff of another design(judge, 24/7 series, their PT92) then they will earn a little bit of respect back.
As for yourself keep your pompus arrogant attitude off your keyboard.
You asked
I answered

This is getting very close to an inappropriate post folks take note as we are.

As far as Taurus you are entitled to your opinion but to base a blanket slam on a product off of 2 guns out of millions produced...well that is fairly weak IMOP.

However you are entitled to your opinion and you made it known. There is no need to keep beating the same dead horse. Those that are swayed by your opinion will be due to your first post and those that are not likely will not be no matter how much you post on the topic.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Beerme

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 10:45:35 PM »
he came at me with a snootie attitude and I responded
The person who asked me a question modified my post in his quote and chose to ignore part of my answer.
And a blanket slam, when I call taurus and they inform me that their revolvers have a reputation of shooting the cylinder loose then I have every right to consider their quality control garbage.
When I research that problem online and find tons of threads dedicated to it, it is not just a problem to two guns.
It is a problem with the company.
I spent money on them and I learned my lesson
You get what you pay for

Offline ISMOID

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 08:30:32 AM »
Snootie? No.
Sarcastic? Yes.
Your reply was nothing but a blanket slam against a fine company. I was just pointing out the fact that you have zero knowledge of Taurus PT1911s which is what the OP was asking. I have seen, but not owned, many Kimbers, SA, and other 1911s that have issues, should I assume those companys make crap? Maybe the owner has made some mods to the gun that aren't working out.
Bottom line is you took a cheap shot and I called you on it.

Offline Beerme

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 10:48:32 AM »
you chose to ignore what I put about pt1911s
my experiences with handling them
and that led to my refusal to shoot them
and the owner made mods to the guns?
The owner of what?
they were sitting in a glass display case brand new.
and look up taurus complaint forums you'll see why I do not like them, if you don't like my views on cheap guns then you're gonna have to deal with it.
I warned the OP on what to not get when he asked for a good starter

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »
OK gentleman either let it go or this one is done.

Beerme you have made your point you don't like Taurus. Some of the rest of us do so we will have to agree to disagree.