Author Topic: Pistol inspection  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Rider524

Pistol inspection
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:24:01 AM »
I have been reading about Michigan right to carry and if you'll notice the law states "Any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who owns a SAFETY INSPECTED  handgun may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law with or without a CPL.  Private property rules over-ride state law in regards to firearm possession.

Since there aren't inpections anymore, how does this affect right to carry and can police and the court use this to prosecute someone for open carry? Or can I have my pistol inspected somewhere that the law would consider viable?

Offline Bronson

Re: Pistol inspection
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:16:05 AM »
...the law states "Any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who owns a SAFETY INSPECTED  handgun may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law with or without a CPL.  Private property rules over-ride state law in regards to firearm possession.

Could you please post cites to the specific law(s) where that is stated?

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Rider524

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:10:24 AM »
I live in Redford Twp. They do not safety inspect any firearms. The process is to bring your registration in and they file it with the state.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:13:38 PM »
 ;) Same for Detroit, I just received a 38 S&W From my sister we both have CPL's Just down loaded a permit on line signed and took to my Police Station.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:56:33 PM »
"SAFETY INSPECTION" is just an end run around gun registration this way the Obamah's of the country know whom has what when they finally decide to whipe their 6'es with the 2nd ammendment; this will make it easier for them to find and seize your guns.

Just my 2 cents worth and you can keep the change!
The Patroit Act; Turning citizens into suspects since 2001!
-------------------------------------------------
I may not like what you have to say; but, I will defend to the death your right to say it!  Voltaier

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 08:38:58 AM »
As far as I know the safety inspection has been done away with. I will try to look up the specific MCL.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:50:48 AM »
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

4.  I lost my Michigan pistol registration (Safety Inspection Certificate). How do I go about getting another one?

The Safety Inspection requirement in the law, previously MCL 28.429  has been repealed.  As long as the gun was previously registered in your name and is on file with the Michigan State Police, you are not required to complete any additional paperwork.  It is not a requirement that you carry your Safety Inspection Certificate or License to Purchase on you when carrying, using or transporting the gun, once 30 days from the date of purchase has expired.  There are no Safety Inspection Certificate forms available to issue you a new one.  You may contact your local law enforcement agency and request a copy of the information entered in the pistol entry database relative to your registration/license.  They may charge up to $1.00.  Or, you may make a request through the Michigan State Police, Freedom of Information Unit, P.O. Box 30634, Lansing, Michigan 48909-0634, for a copy of your registration.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »
Sorry, I should have read the OP.

The gun was safety inspected before it left the factory.  ;D

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »
...the law states "Any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who owns a SAFETY INSPECTED  handgun may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law with or without a CPL.  Private property rules over-ride state law in regards to firearm possession.

Could you please post cites to the specific law(s) where that is stated?

Bronson

That is what I wrote 4 years ago for the MOC OC brochure.  So it's dated.  Be aware of dates on information you are reading and or citing.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.