Author Topic: Almost Kicked out of Meijers for open carrying  (Read 17220 times)

Offline shawn3408

Almost Kicked out of Meijers for open carrying
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »
Meijer employee's approached me and said that i had all the guest frighten by open carrying, employee of Meijer asked me to cover the firearm while shopping, I informed him that I would be braking state laws if I did that, then he stated if he gets anymore complaints I would have to go and put my gun in the car. 
MR.sHaWnDeAlWiThIt

Offline Greyh Seer

Re: Almost Kicked out of Meijers for open carrying
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:01:10 PM »
I thought Mejier had a "follow state law" policy?

----------------------------------------
-Greyh

Offline METL

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:03:06 PM »
Uhhh... what state law would you be breaking?   In order to carry in meijer, a place that has a liquor license, you must have a CPL.  Since you were carrying there, and have your CPL, what state law would you be breaking by concealing?   You DO have your CPL, right?

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:20:37 PM »
That's my point.  I'm trying to say that it is likely this employee has a policy that tells him he should leave the OP alone...
-Greyh

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:25:03 PM »
That's my point.  I'm trying to say that it is likely this employee has a policy that tells him he should leave the OP alone...

That still doesn't address the question of which law the OP thought he'd be breaking by concealing at the request of the employee. It sounds like the OP doesnt have a CPL which means he was already breaking a law by carrying there in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:26:50 PM by scot623 »

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 02:31:40 PM »

That still doesn't address the question of which law the OP thought he'd be breaking by concealing at the request of the employee. It sounds like the OP doesnt have a CPL which means he was already breaking a law by carrying there in the first place.

Oh, I somehow missed that when reading.  You are, of course, correct. 
-Greyh

Offline smallthunder

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 02:40:43 PM »
I OC all the time in the Ann Arbor Mejier, and everywhere else.  Which Mejier was it?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Almost Kicked out of Meijers for open carrying
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »
This is why we advise people to read, understand, and ask questions about the law before they OC -- ESPECIALLY w/o a CPL.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »
No problem in the Owosso/Corunna Meijer!
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »
No problem in the Owosso/Corunna Meijer!

just because they dont sell liquor, doesnt mean they dont have license.

Offline METL

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »
I just talked to a woman that said she was almost kicked out of the S. Lansing meijer by one of the greeters..  she  pressed the issue, and I guess a manager or something let her in. 

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 09:39:03 AM »
Meijer team members are not to do or say anything besides the usual greeting but are to report it to a manager which deals with the situation in light of this I will be asking my manager this evening what meijer policy actually is.

Offline Michhunter

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 11:11:06 AM »
This is why we advise people to read, understand, and ask questions about the law before they OC -- ESPECIALLY w/o a CPL.

You know this a good point but I stopped asking questions and trying to get into OC when a HOT HEAD on this site made it a point to make me feel like an ASS. I feel that if HOT HEADS that think they need to downsize or criticize people for trying to make sure that they dont do something wrong when OCing without a CPL they should just keep their mouths SHUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »
I'm confused... ???
-Greyh

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 09:31:27 AM »
Manager was near useless his response was basically CC aloud OC not aloud unless your a cop I have a couple days off going to get the Corporate legal number and give them a call.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »
I went to Meijer's today (oc'ing) in Fenton. I had to replace my neighbor's sprinkler head that I ran over with the lawn mower. The plumbing associate (female) had to help me decide which replacement head to buy from the damaged pieces that I brought in. No reaction from the help, just a few stares from the customers. Like they've never seen a rosco on a hip before...geezs!

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »
I meant Home Depot, in Fenton, not Meijers. I must be getting senile!!

Offline Bronson

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 01:24:55 AM »
Manager was near useless his response was basically CC aloud OC not aloud unless your a cop I have a couple days off going to get the Corporate legal number and give them a call.

It'll most likely end being like Walmart's "official" policy, which is to follow state law but to give final authority to the manager on duty on a case-by-case basis.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
Re: Re: Almost Kicked out of Meijers for open carrying
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 06:14:53 PM »

It'll most likely end being like Walmart's "official" policy, which is to follow state law but to give final authority to the manager on duty on a case-by-case basis.

Bronson

This is what I have found to he the case almost anywhere that says they follow state law. If a customer, or maybe even an employee expresses that they're bothered/afraid/uncomfortable, etc., the store manager has the ability to request that you cover it up, or leave, or never bring it back, etc; this is what I have experienced at my local Walmart.
Even though many of us have carried openly in a Meijer, Walmart, or other chain stores, this does not mean that in every situation that they will allow everyone else to carry too. As a property owner, these stores can decide who can carry while in their stores and who can't.
Also, in reference to the comment up above that some of us seem to get a little worked up when we talk about non-cpl holders OCing in stores with liquor licenses... better that we get worked up than the local pd deciding to charge you with violating MI gun law.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 02:20:47 PM »

Appreciate that and very curious as to the facts. I was asked not to OC at the 23 mile and Gratiot store. They have lost a lot of business from me over the past year because of it. Still, sometimes they are just so darned convenient... (location)
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.