Author Topic: Almost Kicked out of Meijers for open carrying  (Read 16674 times)

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
Re: Almost Kicked out of Meijers for open carrying
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »
Appreciate that and very curious as to the facts. I was asked not to OC at the 23 mile and Gratiot store. They have lost a lot of business from me over the past year because of it. Still, sometimes they are just so darned convenient... (location)

I OC regularly at the one on 26 and I94.  Only one person has ever even noticed (and said something), and it was a gentleman and his wife who pulled up to me in the parking lot and said "At last someone has the balls to do that!"

Ends up he and his wife both have CPLs and I chatted with them for a while while loading up our groceries.  Overall a great experience!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 08:32:54 PM »
I wonder what have happened if you would have told them that fat ladies wearing spandex scare the hell out of you and would have them tell the ladies they must change cloths to make your shopping session more comfortable.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
 8)? :D Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline jonnyvee

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
What is wrong with carrying concealed in a establishment that sells alcohol? from what I read it is fine unless it is there main source of income from serving it? I can't find anything about a retail store, just bar, and I do not believe it would apply to a place like Applebee's unless you where to belly up to the bar.

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.
Sec. 5o.

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business. The Michigan liquor control commission shall develop and make available to holders of licenses under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, an appropriate sign stating that "This establishment prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons". The owner or operator of an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, may, but is not required to, post the sign developed under this subdivision. A record made available by an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, necessary to enforce this subdivision is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »
It's fine with a CPL, but if you don't have a CPL you can not even posses a firearm in the parking lot of the premises let alone inside.  With a CPL you can conceal or carry openly in these places.

Check out 750.234d.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 02:34:19 AM »
What is wrong with carrying concealed in a establishment that sells alcohol? . . . 28.425o

That's fine for licensed concealed carriers but for people that open carry without a CPL there's another whole set of laws they need to be concerned with.  Venator pointed out one of them and that one clearly states that without a CPL or permission from the owner you can not possess a firearm on the property of any place licensed to sell alcohol in any capacity.

The most difficult thing for most of us when we start learning about open carry is to differentiate between the laws that deal with general firearms possession (open carry) and concealed carry specific laws.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Bronson

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 02:36:04 AM »
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kalamazoo_and_battle_creek/Man-tries-to-rob-Meijer,-caught-in-pond

This morning the Meijer I normally shop at had some excitement.  No, I was not there...like there's any chance I'd be up 7:00 a.m.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »
Thats nothing my Meijer has a guy (has recently stopped) thats stealing whole cart fulls of booze they said they think he has upwards of $10,000 stolen in booze.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Almost Kicked out of Meijers for open carrying
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kalamazoo_and_battle_creek/Man-tries-to-rob-Meijer,-caught-in-pond

This morning the Meijer I normally shop at had some excitement.  No, I was not there...like there's any chance I'd be up 7:00 a.m.

Bronson

Party is at his house...
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Glock19

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 09:52:05 PM »
I have OC at the miejers in mundy before aalot, I've never encountered a problem.. i get some stares but nobody says anything negative about it. i been asked by other customers if its legal or not, and lol if i'm a cop....