Author Topic: Wine and Harvest Festival in Paw Paw  (Read 3573 times)

Offline jamesjharris01

Wine and Harvest Festival in Paw Paw
« on: September 08, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »
My fiance and I are new to open carry and were wondering if anyone could think of any reasons we would not be able to open carry at the Wine and Harvest Festival in Paw Paw this weekend.  The festival is spread out  in the streets down town. My main worry is that some of the activities take place at the courthouse parking lot and I was not sure if that would be an issue.

Also if anyone is planning on going and would like to meet up that would be cool too.

P.S. neither one of us has a CPL yet...

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
Re: Wine and Harvest Festival in Paw Paw
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:48:01 PM »
You would be good to go as long as the streets are not closed off and alcohol is sold and/or consumed in the festival area. Memorize the following law, it will be your OC bible if you do not have a CPL. Remember, each place listed below includes the parking lots.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

Offline jamesjharris01

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:58:16 PM »
Some of the streets are closed off for the parade and the carnival rides, does this pose a problem or is the issue just if they serve alcohol? I will scout out for alcohol before attempting to carry.

Offline jamesjharris01

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:00:59 PM »
My fiance just informed me that they do have "beer tents" are we ok if we do not go in those areas or does that prohibit carrying for us? Thank you for any help.

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »
With the alcohol limited to beer tents, you'll only have to avoid those. Plus any property listed in the above law. Let us know how it goes.

Offline jamesjharris01

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 01:15:10 AM »
Both of us carried today. Some looks but no problems. We will be going back tomorrow. I will write in the experiences section after the festival is over. Carry on.