Author Topic: Alamo Township Park  (Read 6363 times)

Offline Lonewolf0714

Alamo Township Park
« on: July 30, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »
I just went to Alamo Township park and noticed a sign with a township ordinance at the entrance that said "no weapons allowed"5 with a picture of a knife and gun. Under the picture it said it was under township ordinance M-55. I thought I could open carry inside these parks? Can anyone give good advice on this issue?

Offline Greyh Seer

Re: Alamo Township Park
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 05:38:03 PM »
Here is the ordinance:

http://www.alamotownship.org/storage/ordinances/PARK%20ORDINANCE%2055-M.pdf

ARTICLE III
TOWNSHIP PARK REGULATIONS
The following actions in a park shall be deemed violations of this Ordinance:
(A) No person shall possess or use any firearms, bows, bb guns, pellet guns, air rifles, cross bows or other items used primarily for hunting or target practice, except as may be authorized by the Park Board for the control of nuisance animals.

This ordinance is illegal and unenforceable due to Michigan's Preemption law:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(vqsrqt45uhi3n1551sns403v))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-123-1102

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.
----------------------------------------
-Greyh

Offline Lonewolf0714

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »
You are awesome man. I am going to go to the next townhall meeting so I can bring this to there attention.

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »
You are awesome man. I am going to go to the next townhall meeting so I can bring this to there attention.

I would contact someone in MOC leadership for some pointers on how to handle the meeting.  (Select contacts on the MOC homepage)

Either way, good luck and let us know how it goes!
----------------------------------------
-Greyh

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Alamo Township Park
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:11:04 PM »
You can try to quietly approach them via email/phone first. This is our usual first step.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Lonewolf0714

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I will first communicate with them via U.S. mail. We need a formal notification letter as a sticky. Thanks again for the help.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Alamo Township Park
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
You may or may not get a warm response to your email/mail. Let us know how it goes. If they ignore you, write again in two weeks. Be sure to include the Mayor and City Attorney in your email as well as the head of the council. If you hear nothing 2 weeks after that, drop in on a meeting and speak your mind in public comment. Take copies of your previous attempts to communicate along.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Lonewolf0714

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 12:23:20 PM »
I was just contacted by Alamo Township regarding the illegal posting outside the Alamo Township Park. They told me that they have have changed the sign and it is now correct. I guess it wasn't  that long to wàit for a correction.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 07:30:42 PM »
Oh my, fast reply, good response, I am impressed with their decision and speed with which it was taken care of.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher