Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 6009 times)

Offline glock19od

Hi there
« on: July 29, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »
new to all of this.. i live in saginaw, and had a few questions. i have been well educated by what open carry is and what its all about but unsure on a few. no cpl to carry open?? ive heard so many different things.. and if stopped by police should i have any concerns?

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »
You are correct. You need no CPL to carry a sidearm in a holster openly. There are however restrictions as to where you can go without a CPL. You need a CPL to cover it up. I am sure one of the information Guru's on here will enlighten you with all the applicable ins and outs!

Daniel
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline METL

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 07:52:19 PM »
Welcome...       glad you're interested in OC.

First off you need to really do a lot of research.

You may or may not have trouble with police depending on their disposition and how their department has been trained on dealing with OC...

I would recommend you get a digital recorder for ANYTIME you oc... especially since you don't have a CPL.  You can't carry anywhere that has a liquor license... including the parking lot.  So meijer...  the gas station that sells beer, etc... are off limits and that includes storage in your car.  You can't legally lock your gun in your trunk in meijer parking lot without a CPL.  Don't get tripped up by a place that has a license but doesn't sell beer....  SpeedWay for example has a corporate/blanket liquor license....    You cannot carry or possess a firearm on the premises of any speedway without a CPL.

Bronson will be by soon to provide all the citations for anything I have said...      ;D    :o

It is a daunting task to OC without a CPL.  I do it as much as I can, but it's challenging and can be dangerous for your freedom if you don't know what you're doing

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 10:44:47 PM »
Welcome Stay alert Carry Safe, Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:51:03 PM »
Welcome: Glad to see folks from your area here.

Sometimes this site can be a little tricky to navigate [so much info in one place ;)]
Try OCDO no membership required.

Try these links (by fellow OCers. many are members here also).

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?81204-Open-Carry-Guide-Project
A good guide,

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?82421-The-4-MSP-Legal-updates-that-explain-the-legality-of-Open-Carry-in-MI
Legal updates from the State Police [look at #86 in particular / the last link at the bottom of that page].

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?67581-Michigan-open-carry-reference-chart/page4
see downloadable chart located at post #94

Carry on and try to catch a OC picnic if you can this summer. They are a safe place to start your OC adventures at
 {less stress, with many fellow OCers close by}. There's one at metro beach on Aug28 that should be fun :)
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?93312-Michigan-Open-Carry-Picnic-August-28-2011
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:11:37 AM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline glock19od

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »
thanks for all the help

Warchild

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
Don't get tripped up by a place that has a license but doesn't sell beer....  SpeedWay for example has a corporate/blanket liquor license.... 

Good advice but I need to correct and clarify:

Yes some corporations do have "blanket" applications for a liquor license, but; there are only so many licenses issued per county, per capita. So, not all "speedway" or other franchises may/not have a license.
You need to check the county you have a question on and see what businesses have a current license "issued" to them.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 03:30:25 AM »
You need to check the county you have a question on and see what businesses have a current license "issued" to them.

Here's the link that'll let you do that http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/llist/

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Warchild

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 05:23:14 AM »
Thanks Bronson, I couldn't find the link to give him.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »
Thanks Bronson, I couldn't find the link to give him.

Got your back  ;D

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine