Author Topic: I need help  (Read 9916 times)

Offline Michhunter

I need help
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »
 OK guys so I have been looking into OC for a while now and need to find a way to get my fiancé to see the light of carry no matter what way CC or OC. I do not have a CPL so no matter what I need to OC but I dont want to fight with her all the time and she dont understand. What can I can do to get her to see? Is there anything?   ???

Warchild

Re: I need help
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:10 AM »
Well a pair of blinders and a credit card should work....just kidding.

Try to calmly explain it to her and answer her objections as best you can. Also bring her to a picnic or seminar to see other people doing the same thing without issue.

Good luck.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
I need help
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:44:53 PM »
I got my fiancée her own gun. That quashed objections to OC/CC -- real quick like ;)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:03:01 PM »
That's what you get for letting her believe you care what she thinks  ;D

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
I need help
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 02:35:37 PM »
That's what you get for letting her believe you care what she thinks  ;D

Bronson

What he said, except I'm more serious about it ;)

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:50:24 PM »
What he said, except I'm more serious about it ;)

Never let them know you care if they leave.  Once they know you care, they've won, and will use your concern to control you.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline FatMan

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »
Been single long ?  I like the idea of presenting a logical and cogent argument explaining taking personal responsibility for your own and her safety. Of course logical women are a rarity but if he can convert hers shes worth her weight in platinum.
Why do you carry that handgun every place you go? Cause it's lighter than my shotgun.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:55:18 PM »
Michhunter,

Is she against guns in general or just against carry? Have you gotten her to shoot? How long have you been working with her on this issue?

Without knowing the answers to the previous questions, the one general tip I would give you is to give it time. My fiancee went from being against guns (somewhat, not strongly) to asking me to shoot my .45 1911 on her first time out. It has taken a lot of time to chip away at the old stuff and build up the new and there is still a lot of work to go. She is open to the idea of carry but doesn't think she is ready for it.

I would also tell you not to push too hard. I have a CPL and I have told my fiancee that I would like her to get one, but I have acknowledged that requires her to be comfortable with it. Carrying is not for everyone and I don't want to undo all of my hard work.

Real world stories, stats and, most of all, trigger time.

Offline Michhunter

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »
She is not afraid of gun nor is she against them she just don't see the point of carrying.......... I guess not sure what it is about oc that sje dont like maybe she thinks it will bright unneeded attention. :-\

Offline Michhunter

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:11:42 PM »
She is not afraid of gun nor is she against them she just don't see the point of carrying.......... I guess not sure what it is about oc that sje dont like maybe she thinks it will bright unneeded attention. :-\
  I think she thinks OC will bring un-needed attention is what that should read

Offline Bronson

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »
Been single long ? 

Nine years in a committed relationship.  Just because you're in a relationship doesn't mean you have to roll over and give up everything you want.

Just OC and don't ask her, that's what I did and she's never said anything because she knows it wouldn't have made a difference. 

Of course I'm sure it helps that we picked each other because we share similar ideas for most of the important issues, i.e., I would never be in a relationship with an anti-gun person.

Bronson
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:53:04 PM by Bronson »

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 07:27:11 PM »
Ya know... My wife was definately against it before I started... I started off by wearing it around the house for a couple of weeks. Then, I started wearing it out to the mailbox and some simple crap like that... When she got use to seeing me with it on around the house I started to venture out a bit... Got to break her in easy friend ;) All those statistics are good, but unreal to her. Try to find situations that pertain to her or someone she or her friends know... It'll work out man!
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
I need help
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
Been single long ? 

In a happy relationship for 3 years. We're getting married in 2 weeks. About all I'll say on a public forum is: my fiancée doesn't run my household.

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »
oh... yah... I forgot to mention that my Wife and I have been together for 22 yrs. and married for 18 yrs. And she is still HoT! ;D
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 08:16:34 AM »
The only thing I have left to add is, just as carrying is a personal decision, method of carry is also a personal decision. Take what you can get as some carry is better than no carry.

Also, there are a lot of reasons to get a CPL other than being able to CC. Maybe start there.

Offline Michhunter

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 09:41:30 AM »
Well thank you all for the tips and the help. Sounds like I will just have to slowly work at it and maybe she will  OC as well over time.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »
Well, I found my wife was a little reluctant when I started carrying a sidearm. I explained about safety, reduced police forces, police have no obligation to protect you only "enforce laws" etc... She didn't buy it. Only, and only, after we attended some OC events/picnics did she see that there are others that do it daily and don't end up in jail. She now is on board with OC and has taken a CPL course!  :D I will work on her OCing but ...ever try to find a gun belt/holster that doesn't make a gal's hips look bigger and goes with almost any outfit :o Lol... Keep chipping away eventually she'll crack. Yes and like the Q I bought her a pistol (one she liked, don't try to reason it out, just get them what they like - be it a pink 22 or a desert eagle in 50cal. I was lucky mine went with a Walther P99AS [new bond gun in 9mm]. Not the most economical choice, but a happy woman is priceless, where an unhappy woman is USELESS  ;)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 08:02:55 AM »
my wife is extremely anti gun and still is, but once I put my foot down and told her I was going to carry for OUR protection, and DID,  without bring it up in her face ever time, she finally has backed down the nag level a bit

last week I misplaced my holster for my 40 cal and she actually spend 30 minutes helping me look for it!

while she is still not keen on the idea of me toting around a gun everywhere I go, she HAS gotten used to the idea.

after a year I still handle her with a bit of kit gloves as I do my thing, the other day she just found out I carry two with me most times.  So as of right now the nag level is 10 and slowly descending!!!!

i did not bring it up to here in any fashion, i finally decided to put on my backup while she was standing in front of me, instead of in my room, she immediately went in to nag mode, i just looked at her and kept on placing my gun in my waistband.

after a year she kinda views me wearing my 40 I OC as normal now and sees my back up as over kill.  soon, this lever of nag will descend back to an exceptable level again

she understands when we go out, if i can, I will carry, even if i CC instead of OC.

when there is a video of victim posted on our forums, like the guy in Dayton OH at the gas station or the guy knocking out windows of a unsuspecting motorist, I show here and just say, this is why i carry, and leave it at that.  When there is an article or a newscast like the barber shop when a customer shot a bad guy who tried to rob the shop at gun point, i play the video when she is with me and just say, this is why i carry my gun

eventually she will understand you are not playing tough guy and are out only to protect yourself and your family.

I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline xarmy9

• MOC Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 05:12:48 AM »
When I started dating my wife, she was finishing her Junior year of college. I was active duty Army. She was a very liberal, but we didn't talk about politics much, because we were busy doing other stuff.... Anyways, as things got serious and I realized how liberal she really was, I decided that had to change. She has come around quite nicely in the last 4 years, and this November will be our 3 year anniversary. She was never anti-gun thank god, but before we got married, I told her that there were two things that I would never give up, not for her or anyone. One was my guns, the other was my motorcycle. She's never challenged me on either. In fact, I bought her a gun as well (and as another poster said, don't pick for them, let them pick for themselves no matter what it is they want, that way they can't blame you if they later don't like it), and she just finished a motorcycle safety class. She has no problem with me concealing my gun, but she does have an anxiety disorder, and gets very anxious about me open carrying. It's not that she has any real issue with it. So I'll do my best to slowly ease her into it.

My point is, take your time, and talk to her. I'd recommend you get your CPL. Work on deprogramming her from all the anti-gun propaganda if that's what the problem is. Eventually though if she feels strongly enough, you may have to make a choice. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it is a possibility. Remember that every person, and every relationship is different. Just because some guys have the tough guy I don't care if you leave thing doesn't mean it will work for every guy, or every girl. There's nothing wrong with either approach to a relationship, as long as both people are happy. I have no problem with my wife "wearing the pants" most of the time. In fact I get my way more often that way than if I try to force my will on her. But that's our relationship and our style, it won't work for everyone.

Anyways, good luck, I hope you can work it out with her.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 02:27:41 AM »
Just because some guys have the tough guy I don't care if you leave thing doesn't mean it will work for every guy, or every girl.

I'm not a tough guy I just don't have the desire or energy to try to change someone into being what I want them to be.  I'd rather find someone that shares my viewpoints on the big things like kids, religion, politics, guns, etc and that has come to those views independantly.

Bronson