Author Topic: kayaking and oc?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline red88gt

kayaking and oc?
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:48:25 AM »
Me, my brother, and our friend will be kayaking into some very remote areas of he keewanaw peninsula for the next two weeks, can I open carry in my kayak or should I keep my gun in my bag? I have no col yet. What about in a row boat? What about a row boat with a low hp motor? We will be doing a lot of fishing so I am interested. 

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
Re: Re: kayaking and oc?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:16:34 PM »
Me, my brother, and our friend will be kayaking into some very remote areas of he keewanaw peninsula for the next two weeks, can I open carry in my kayak or should I keep my gun in my bag? I have no col yet. What about in a row boat? What about a row boat with a low hp motor? We will be doing a lot of fishing so I am interested.

This is a very good question... and much like the issue of OCing on a bicycle, you will probably have people say it's illegal and some saying it is legal. Since MCL 750.227(2) makes carrying a pistol in a "vehicle" illegal unless you have a cpl or are exempt, and a kayak gets you from point A to point B, I wouldn't risk it... unless, of course you want to be a test case. Although I personally believe the law applies to motorized vehicles and not one under human power, I wouldn't risk it.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).