Author Topic: The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Michhunter

I got this e-mailed to me yesterday and though I would share it with all of you.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.

Patrick Henry

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified!  Why?  Simple!  The people  demanded it.  That was in 1971...before computers, before e-mail, before cell phones, etc.   

Of  the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7)  took 1 year or less to become the law of the land...all because of public pressure.   

I'm asking my friends to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people, and in turn ask each of them to do likewise.   

In three days, most people in The United States of America should have the message.  This is one idea that really should be passed around.   

Congressional Reform Act of  2011   

1.   No Tenure / No  Pension.   
   A  Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.   

2.   Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.   
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately.  All  future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.   It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.   

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.  Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.   

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.   

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.   

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12.   
   The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen.  Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.   Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career.  The  Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.   

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the  U.S. ) to receive the message.  Maybe it’s time.   

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!!

Offline JoeCar

This sounds like a plan. I'm tired of our career elected servants faring better than the people that put them into office.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
I know there is good intent behind this but pushing something like this will only hurt what I think you are going for.

1. Congress already only collects a salary while in office. Remember "in office" is from the day they are sworn in till the day they "leave office" which is usually when the next person is sworn in. Also, part of congress's job is to come back home to hear what we have to say.

2. SS funds were not supposed to be used for any other purpose. This will change nothing.

3. I'm not sure how you purchase a retirement plan. Our representatives are free to invest their own money as they see fit just as the rest of us are.

4. I would never support this. Why would you want to guarantee a pay raise every year for them.

5. Congress already participates in the same system as most of America. Employer supplied healthcare. Perhaps we should suggest they pay for a portion of it like the rest of us.

6. Already law. Having a duplicate law on the books that no one pays attention to will do nothing.

7. Not legal nor constitutional.

Sorry to be such a downer, but sometimes it's better to look the cold hard truth in the face.

Offline xarmy9

• MOC Member
This shouldn't be sought as a reform act, or law. It should be sought after as a constitutional amendment.

1. Congress has a pension plan that is absolutely ridiculous. After serving ONE term, they collect a pension. That has to go.

2. With a constitutional amendment, it would be much more difficult for them to "borrow" money from SS. And yes, if the general public is forced to participate in SS, so should congress.

3. Right now, they don't invest in a retirement plan, see #1

4. I agree it shouldn't be a guaranteed pay raise. Much like many states do it, a congressional pay raise should be a ballot measure during general elections. The public should approve or deny a pay raise for their representative.

5. The point of this was that congress exempted themselves from the Obamacare thing. What they're saying in the original post is that they shouldn't be able to do that. And yes they should contribute to their health insurance just like everyone else.

6. If sought as a constitutional amendment then it could work. They can circumvent laws pretty easily, however if there is an amendment, they won't be able to snake out of it as easily. Congress regularly exempts its members from many of the laws they pass, which is ridiculous.

7. I agree that this one is probably unconstitutional. Going after past contracts wouldn't work. But stopping future specific contracts would be possible.