Author Topic: Anyone else attend SC4 in Port Huron?  (Read 3888 times)

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
Anyone else attend SC4 in Port Huron?
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »
So in researching a different issue, I came across a small blurb in the student handbook that states the campus weapons free policy.  As a public college, shouldn't preemption apply?

Anyone else want to join in a letter writing campaign to correct this?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bronson

Re: Anyone else attend SC4 in Port Huron?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »
No.

123.1101 Definitions.

Sec. 1.

As used in this act:

(a) “Local unit of government” means a city, village, township, or county.

(b) “Pistol” means that term as defined in section 222 of the Michigan penal code, Act No. 328 of the Public Acts of 1931, being section 750.222 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

Not to mention the Community College Act of 1966 gives them some pretty broad powers in regards to running their campus.

I attended SC4 back in the early 90's.  I had some great teachers there.

Bronson
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:27:23 PM by Bronson »
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:16:36 PM »
The college is run by the county - it was established by the Port Huron School District, and was turned over to the county.  Since it is run/overseen by a local unit of government, how do they have the powers to regulate further?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
Ok, so I sent a letter to the college President after learning a little more about how the college operates (and about the community college law).  He responded in just a few days, and not only thanked me for bringing it to his attention, he had the 'no weapons' signs at the campus bookstore removed.  He said he was not aware prior to my letter, and thanked me for bringing it to his attention!

I can't tell you all how shocked I am at how easy this was - I was expecting at least a few letters back and forth explaining reasoning.

Offline rvd4now

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »
Ok, so I sent a letter to the college President after learning a little more about how the college operates (and about the community college law).  He responded in just a few days, and not only thanked me for bringing it to his attention, he had the 'no weapons' signs at the campus bookstore removed.  He said he was not aware prior to my letter, and thanked me for bringing it to his attention!

I can't tell you all how shocked I am at how easy this was - I was expecting at least a few letters back and forth explaining reasoning.

so u open carry on campus..

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
I have both OC and CC on campus (just not CC in a dormitory or classroom), and I've never had a problem before.  I noticed the 'no weapons' sign at the bookstore, and then looked into it.

I do only take my classes online at this point.  The only things I may go to campus for are proctored testing, bookstore visits, and for any paperwork required.  I'm generally only up there in person about 6-8 times each semester.