Author Topic: Michigan State Police encounter  (Read 5929 times)

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
Michigan State Police encounter
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »
just had to share. was on my way to to brighton area to pick up my nephew on saturday morning to take him to the selfridge air show. my jeep wrangler has a recurring problem with a front end shake when i hit bumps a certin way (getting fixed this week) and on my way down 96 kent lake rd exit it started again and due to traffic behind me i needed to come to complete stop to make it cease. i bailed off on the side of the freeway and hit a dip in the ground pretty hard. blew my front right tire off of the rim. DAMN!!
encountered problems trying to get my jack out of it's cradle and was using my winch to assist the change which wore my battery down. was just ready to call a tow truck when i walked to the back of the jeep to see a MSP motor carrier officer parked sideways behind me. i was OC of course. he asked what the problem was. gave him brief update. he said he would jump the battery for me. after doing that he got my jack out, helped me do the lugnuts, switched tires, and just about everything else. i asked if he had a problem with the OC. he said "no. not at all." didn't even ID me until the end because he needed to write down contact info to account for his time.
we had a brief conversation about OC and he was for it, understood all the reasons i gave and that was it. his hands were as dirty as mine when we shook hands and he left.
for all the negative scrutiny we put on LEOs i think it's only right we should acknowledge positive actions also. complaints and threats of civil and criminal violations may be an effective method to get LEO to accept us and leave us alone but i also think that positive reinforcement would be a better tactic.
i plan on writing the MSP with a thank you/ good job letter. already called to get who i should write and get officers name right. just not sure how i should word anything about OC in it. i'll think of something. let me know any input. thanks.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline JoeCar

Re: Michigan State Police encounter
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:15:22 AM »
It's good to read that instead of the MSP acting like Lords over us that they are being servants for us. I like Constitutional behavior, very much!

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:34:49 AM »
We had a problem in the apartment complex where I live and two city police and one State Trooper came. The city cops said nothing about the fact that I was OCing but the State boy asked if I had a CPL or if I was just OCing... He also was very polite... I have never had a problem with one of Michigan's State Troopers!

Glad your experience was a positive one. Its nice to know that there are still a few out there willing to offer their time and help, not stressing getting their hands dirty to help a fellow human and American!
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline METL

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »
I have never dealt with state boys in regards to OC... but I will certainly say that ANY, and I mean ANY interaction I have EVER had with the MSP has been NOTHING but professional, polite, and positive.  Even in getting a citation.  Nothing but good things for me to say about the State boys....     *knock on wood

Thanks for sharing the good story.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »
Good on him! We need more like him out there. Hats off to MSP for yet another demonstration of professionalism.  :)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »
 :)Yes great story. I love our MSP guys. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:51:03 PM »
Write the kudos without the firearm reference. It isn't germane to the encounter. He'll get it and remember you (and your gun). It will mean more to him that way for future encounters and discussions he will have with fellow troopers about you writing it.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »
Write the kudos without the firearm reference. It isn't germane to the encounter. He'll get it and remember you (and your gun). It will mean more to him that way for future encounters and discussions he will have with fellow troopers about you writing it.

+1, spot on
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:52:39 PM »
In fact, not even mentioning the OC goes further to point out you are just a regular guy. Let him be the one to tell his boss/coworkers that you were the guy he help with the busted up jeep who happened to be OCing.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 12:19:08 AM »
good advice guys. rereading it now and editing.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog