Author Topic: "Tax"  (Read 6090 times)

Offline radron2359

"Tax"
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:55:26 AM »
Under michigan law, no city, township etc. may "tax" or prohibit gun ownership, registration etc. if it goes against Michigan law. Why am I paying for a purchase permit when it was free only 2 months ago? Is this a violation of MCL ACT 319. 0f 1990? If it is, i will sue the city of Sault Ste. Marie for my $10.00 because it would be unconstitutional. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Further examination of the law under MCL 319 Sec. 123.1103 does not give any exemption for this tax under the laws "permissible prohibitions or regulations" section of MCL 319 Sec. 123.1103. Thanks

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
Re: "Tax"
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:37:30 AM »
Is that a fee for the PP or for having it notorized? Usually it is the later. You can tell them you don't want it notorized and have it done at a place of your choosing. It's only free at your bank in most cases. $10 is a normal price for that service.

Offline radron2359

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »
It is notorized. But of course they will not tell you that you can notorized somewhere else. The question remains...is it illegal for them to charge you for the permit, not the notorization? Slippery conivers!

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:51:45 PM »
I think you need to determine what they are charging for prior to getting mad. You mentioned it was notarized so that may be the reason for the charge. If you go to get another permit and tell them you will get it notarized yourself and they still charge, then you have an issue to fight.

To the best of my knowledge they can not charge for the permit itself (only the notarization), I am not a lawyer though.

BTW: If you get a CPL you will no longer be bothered with purchase permits.

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
In my opinion it is still a tax because you have to pay it to exercise a right. It is so un constitutional.  So is the CPL!
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 02:29:55 AM »
you have to pay it to exercise a right.

No you don't.  You have the option of having it notarized elsewhere so you can get it done for free.  Many depts. don't charge anything.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »
If we are splitting hairs it's actually "Free", and not "For Free"  Free is a non sum or zero  so you get it free... any hoo the fact that you have to get a purchase permit at all is a violation of the 2nd.    Have a good day!  :)
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline Bronson

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »
any hoo the fact that you have to get a purchase permit at all is a violation of the 2nd.    Have a good day!  :)

You won't get an argument from me on that point.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline radron2359

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »
To hell with em, I found out the sheriffs dept. gives them for free.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »
To hell with em, I found out the sheriffs dept. gives them for free.

The problem is if you live within the jurisdiction of the city police dept. you have to get the PP from them.  You can only get it from the county sherrif if you live outside of your city, township, village, etc. police dept's jurisdiction.

Bronson

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 10:19:56 PM »
I live within city limits but we go to the sherrifs office for our pp's...
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline Bronson

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 12:38:43 AM »
Does your city have an organized police dept. or do they use the County Sherrif for police services?  If you have a city PD and live within their jurisdiction you are supposed to go to them for your License to Purchase/Posses.

(3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department, in discharging the duty to issue licenses shall with due speed and diligence issue licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols to qualified applicants residing within the city, village, township, or county, as applicable unless he or she has probable cause to believe that the applicant would be a threat to himself or herself or to other individuals, or would commit an offense with the pistol that would violate a law of this or another state or of the United States.

Bronson

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »
Yes We have a functional, operational, independent city police department. Everyone I know (including myself and my wife) have registered our handguns at the county sherifs office which is in the city next to us (Corunna). We have never been notified of anything different. I will look into it though.
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline smellslikemichigan

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 09:14:57 PM »
here's how i handled that problem in my town:
http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php?topic=655.0
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan