Author Topic: apartment complex open carry  (Read 8227 times)

Offline alokrip

• First Name (Displayed): Brian
apartment complex open carry
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »
I was reported Monday by another resident who saw me open carrying while taking trash out (which i have been doing several times a week for a couple months now). Since the complex is considered private property, does the property manager have the right to tell me I cannot open carry strictly because another resident complained? Someone told me they didn't think that they could stop me from open carrying.

Offline northofnowhere

Re: apartment complex open carry
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
The apartment complex is private property I presume, and not a government agency (such as a HUD Housign Commission of sorts).  Assuming it is a privately owned complex, yes, the owner can dictate how you carry or if you carry on the grounds.  If it is a violation of your lease, which it could be, or be made to be, then you could face eviction as well.  That is my usderstanding of the law.  In Michigan, private property laws trump firearm laws.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline alokrip

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:54:04 PM »
Nothing in the lease about it, had the manager, who happens to be my wife as well, review the lease...nothing there. The other kicker is I actually never had to sign a lease since she works for the place, so their lease doesn't effect me. I do plan on not carrying anymore strictly for the less amount of stress on her, but was curious of what side the law would be on.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »
     That would be my choice as well, if you are happy there, and the spouse works there, it is probably not the battle to take on.  No worries, one day hopefully it will be so normal to see in Michigan that you won't need to worry about complaints like that.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline alokrip

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 06:04:15 PM »
We will be moving soon since she will be going into nursing school in January.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:52:14 PM »
Alokrip since you and the lady have talked about it already, why not both of you have a talk with management? Maybe you will pick up another Open Carry friendly person. Just my 2-since. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline alokrip

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:02:46 AM »
Update:

Currently waiting to hear back on emails contacting owners of the management company that own several properties on the west side of the state as well as a couple properties in Arizona. I know the owners are hunters so they can't be anti-guns, hopefully they will allow open carry on their properties. I will update again when I hear back with a full list of properties if they say yes.

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 03:49:40 PM »
I know the owners are hunters so they can't be anti-guns,

You have much to learn. Some hunters despise those who carry a pistol for self defense. In fact, I consider them a worse then those who are anti all guns.

Offline alokrip

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »
I know the owners are hunters so they can't be anti-guns,

You have much to learn. Some hunters despise those who carry a pistol for self defense. In fact, I consider them a worse then those who are anti all guns.

Thanks for bursting my bubble! I was starting to have high hopes.

Offline kc8swy

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 11:47:25 PM »
Agree, not all hunters care about self-defense.  My GF's parents don't want me carrying OC or CC on their property (therefore I don't go there anymore).  They are big hunters, both bow and gun.  However they have no problem with me carrying around their daughter and grandson(13).  Go figure.  Not all hunters have their CPL's either.

Offline alokrip

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:56:02 AM »
In my mind a hunter, regardless of their opinion on carrying for self-defense, would still respect the right to carry for those who choose to. Never heard back from anyone in upper management of the issue.

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »
From a long line of Hunters on both my side of the family and my wifes, being a hunter does not make one pro gun or even pro gun RIGHTS

my brother who is extremely into guns, mainly shotguns, rolls his eyes when I open carry and has on several occasions tried to stop me!

Most of the family on both side have no idea of the laws that surround guns.  They think the laws are mainly for pistols
 as I try to explain things to them its like talking to a brick wall!

I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 08:24:53 PM »
being a hunter does not make one pro gun or even pro gun RIGHTS