Author Topic: Medical Marijuana users are no longer allowed to own guns  (Read 7013 times)

Offline daveslim182

Medical Marijuana users are no longer allowed to own guns
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »
Thoughts???  Definitely seems like this is unconstitutional

Offline northofnowhere

Re: Medical Marijuana users are no longer allowed to own guns
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »
Link to relevant news article: http://www.freep.com/article/20111001/NEWS06/110010470

Personally, I also believe guns and marijuana don't mix, nor do drinking and guns.  I drink occasionally, I own firearms, but I don't do the two at the same time.  I would think that medical maijuana users are diligent and intelligent enough to understand that as well, so leave them alone please.  This is a standard government activity.  Fight to keep something illegal, or to make it illegal.  If the government fails, then they make it as difficult and expensive as they possibly can for the people to do.  Ridiculous.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »
 8) +1 Carry On. Sounds like common sense. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »
This has really always been the case. The only real difference is, now they are saying so. Michigan can say marijuana is leagal all they want, but the fact is the Federal Gov says it is a controlled substance and we all know that state law can not overide Fed law, just like a city ordinance can not overide state law. If you are in posession of a Federally controlled substance and have firearms as well... You could now have controlled substance AND federal firearms charges brought against you. Your butt could be mudd!! This is just my opinion from my understanding of what I have read. And I do agree with northofnowhere, not drugs nor alcohol have any place with guns.
Daniel
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Medical Marijuana users are no longer allowed to own guns
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 02:58:38 PM »
The supremacy clause (Article II, Clause 2) only applies to laws "which shall be made in pursuance [of the US Constitution]". Since there is no power in the Constitution for the US Government to regulate "substances" (nor guns for that matter -- infact it is expressly forbidden to regulate guns), the law is therefore does not fall under the Supremacy Clause.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:02:22 PM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline steve jaye

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:59:24 PM »
What about the 10th amendment?

Medical marijuana laws

As of November 2010, 15 states (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington) and the District of Columbia have passed legislation which permit the use of medical marijuana.[15] California Proposition 19 would have gone one step further, and legalized marijuana use by persons over age 21 for any purpose whatsoever;[16] however, the state constitutional amendment did not pass.
The Obama administration announced in October 2009 that it advised federal prosecutors not to target medicinal marijuana users, or their suppliers, in states that have passed such laws.[17][18]
Despite this campaign promise, the DEA has continued to raid medical facilities in several states,[19][20][21] and the DOJ has gone so far as to prevent such cases from being well publicized.[22]

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 08:53:17 PM »
All gun laws are unconstitutional!  But as usual this law will be fought on an angle other  than the 2nd so it will end up being settled with another permit to carry while selling or something stupid like the CPL.  JMHO. :)
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »
The supremacy clause (Article II, Clause 2) only applies to laws "which shall be made in pursuance [of the US Constitution]". Since there is no power in the Constitution for the US Government to regulate "substances" (nor guns for that matter -- infact it is expressly forbidden to regulate guns), the law is therefore does not fall under the Supremacy Clause.
But do those guys who throw you in jail know that?Thats my sticking point!
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »
What about the 10th amendment?

Medical marijuana laws

As of November 2010, 15 states (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington) and the District of Columbia have passed legislation which permit the use of medical marijuana.[15] California Proposition 19 would have gone one step further, and legalized marijuana use by persons over age 21 for any purpose whatsoever;[16] however, the state constitutional amendment did not pass.
The Obama administration announced in October 2009 that it advised federal prosecutors not to target medicinal marijuana users, or their suppliers, in states that have passed such laws.[17][18]
Despite this campaign promise, the DEA has continued to raid medical facilities in several states,[19][20][21] and the DOJ has gone so far as to prevent such cases from being well publicized.[22]
Do not forget that the arrest of med pot users with guns in their homes is also part of Obamass "under the radar" method of gun control!
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!