Author Topic: Question about transporting a pistol in a vehicle  (Read 4565 times)

Offline daveslim182

Question about transporting a pistol in a vehicle
« on: October 10, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »
When I transport my unloaded pistol in the trunk of my vehicle, can the ammunition (a loaded magazine) be in the same case as the unloaded pistol?  Thanks

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
Re: Question about transporting a pistol in a vehicle
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
No Sir one in trunk and thee other in glovebox. More on it after Lions game. Carry On. Tigers Ohhh.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Question about transporting a pistol in a vehicle
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
No Sir one in trunk and thee [sic] other in glovebox. More on it after Lions game. Carry On. Tigers Ohhh.

Citation needed -- after the Lions game, of course.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 03:39:53 AM »
No Sir one in trunk and thee other in glovebox. More on it after Lions game. Carry On. Tigers Ohhh.

Sorry, this is just wrong.

Here's the law that tells us what we can't do:

[excerpt]

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

And here's the law that lists the exceptions to the above law:

750.231a

[excerpt]

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

. . .

(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

It must simply be unloaded, closed in a case designed to store a pistol, and in the trunk or if your car doesn't have a trunk it must not be readily accessible.  You are not normally required to lock the pistol case or keep the ammo separate.  The only time those actions are required is when a CPL holder needs to transport their pistol because they've been drinking alcohol.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 07:14:50 AM »
Thanx Bronson! That is how I thought is was but had not thought about it in a while. Glad your up to task!
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!