Author Topic: No OC or CC @ Costco  (Read 14803 times)

Offline DanC

No OC or CC @ Costco
« on: November 02, 2011, 04:17:15 PM »
I was in the Shelby Twp. Costco yesterday and stopped by the manager. He told me I can't carry in the store, and gave me a copy of the store policy. I would like to post it but I don't have a scanner. I can give it to someone that can.

Offline smellslikemichigan

• MOC Member
Re: No OC or CC @ Costco
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »
old news. costco is well known for being vehemently anti.
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan

Offline ascalia

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »
STRANGE, I must have an under-educated Costco manager in Bloomfield Twp. I was not questioned there.  Neither at Sam's Club either.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »
 :) Good shshsh 8) carry on.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 07:59:42 AM »
STRANGE, I must have an under-educated Costco manager in Bloomfield Twp. I was not questioned there.  Neither at Sam's Club either.

Sam's (and WalMart) follow state law.  Costco prefers to create a CEZ.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 11:44:24 PM »
I believe if you ask they will refund your membership fee.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline mustangcobratim

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:21:33 AM »
I always carry at the shelby twp. store. i c.c but i don't try to conceal that well. guess i am just lucky? i do however look for the posting at the door ways of all the stores i go into.

tim
Tim
free to o.c. in Macomb Twp

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 11:06:13 PM »
You do know not to conceal carry if the store sells liquor? Right?

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 11:54:36 PM »

Why?

Offline Bronson

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 03:05:01 AM »

Assuming mustangcobratim has a CPL it is legal for him to CC in a place that sells pre-packaged alcohol.  It would be illegal for him to CC in a place that makes their primary income from the sale of alcohol to be consumed on premises.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline mustangcobratim

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »
Which i do have a cpl license in this state. so i can open carry in costco? i just can't cc ? is that what we are saying?

here's another question. can i legally oc in kroger if i am going to go up to the bank that is inside of kroger to conduct business at the bank. please keep in mind i am licensed to cc in this state. thanks.

tim
Tim

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
Which i do have a cpl license in this state. so i can open carry in costco? i just can't cc ? is that what we are saying?

here's another question. can i legally oc in kroger if i am going to go up to the bank that is inside of kroger to conduct business at the bank. please keep in mind i am licensed to cc in this state. thanks.

tim

If you have a CPL you can OC or CC in either place you mentioned.

I was asking JoeCar what is comment was about didn't mean to start any confusion.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »
I was of the belief that you had to open carry w/cpl when you entered any establishment that sold alcohol. With a cpl you can conceal carry or open carry in a grocery store that sells alcohol (your situation). In a bar, you must open carry w/cpl, as their alcohol sales are more than 50% of their business. Plus if they don't object, you're good to go.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
I was of the belief that you had to open carry w/cpl when you entered any establishment that sold alcohol. With a cpl you can conceal carry or open carry in a grocery store that sells alcohol (your situation). In a bar, you must open carry w/cpl, as their alcohol sales are more than 50% of their business. Plus if they don't object, you're good to go.

So if I go into a bar and they make 40% of their income from Alcohol consumed on the premisis, 35% from Food and 25% from shirt sales I can CC?

Can you point us to the law that says if they make over 50% you can not CC?

Sorry but myths that get repeated over and over are fun to play with.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 05:25:48 PM by Super Trucker »

Offline mustangcobratim

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 09:17:46 PM »
thanks for all the reply's. since i am fairly new to all this i just want to get" all my ducks in a row" for the time that the leo situation arises.

btw me and my family went out to dinner tonite at a local bar/resturant in sterling heights. i oc'ed. no one said a word to me. just a few looks.

tim
Tim

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 06:56:58 AM »

So if I go into a bar and they make 40% of their income from Alcohol consumed on the premisis, 35% from Food and 25% from shirt sales I can CC?

Can you point us to the law that says if they make over 50% you can not CC?

Sorry but myths that get repeated over and over are fun to play with.

The actual wording is "primary source of income", not 50%, but most folks take that to mean greater then 50%.

Cite: FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
Act 372 of 1927
Section 28.425o

(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business. The Michigan liquor control commission shall develop and make available to holders of licenses under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, an appropriate sign stating that "This establishment prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons". The owner or operator of an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, may, but is not required to, post the sign developed under this subdivision. A record made available by an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, necessary to enforce this subdivision is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 07:08:03 AM »
Thanks for fine tuning my attempt to be helpful. +1

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »
Thanks for fine tuning my attempt to be helpful. +1

JoeCar, just busting your balls.

Thanks to northofnowhere for showing the exact wording, I didn't have time to look it up.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 01:55:44 PM »
Untruths repeated become truths. This is how we got to OC not being acceptable. We must also be accurate in the dissemination of information regarding statutes and practices.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 11:21:20 AM »
     Pat has it right on the money.  Personally I typically say 50% as well, but to put it in perspective, it is "Primary Source."  If you make 40% of income from poured drinks, 30% from cheese sticks, and 30% from varous other goodies, in my opinion the poured drinks is still the primary source of income.  I love cheese sticks more then the next guy, but they are clearly not the primary source of income, nor is poured drinks 51% of the income.  I would still presume in a common sense format that a "Bar" or "Tavern" would clearly make most income from poured drinks, although perhaps that isn't true and some day we will need to find out.  Perhaps the majority of most bars make their primary income from beer, honestly I don't spend enough time in bars and have always just assumed what we all mostly have assumed regarding the poured drinks being the primary source of income at all bars.

Perhaps in reality, we can conceal in every bar except the ones who don't serve beer, although I doubt that is the case, nor the intent of the law in question.

-jason r.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher