Author Topic: Question on laws pertaining to under 21  (Read 14889 times)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Question on laws pertaining to under 21
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 01:17:47 PM »
Hey guys, I've got a question I was hoping someone might be able to help with.

I've done some research on Michigan's gun laws, and as I understand it, an 18 yr. old can legally own a handgun if the gun is transferred to the individual by another individual, such as a family member, rather than being bought from a dealer.

As most of the research I've done suggests the above is true, my question is, would an 18 yr. old who legally owns a handgun only be allowed to transport the gun to and from a shooting range?

When I was looking at Michigan's laws, it almost looked like the only time such a person would be allowed transport the weapon would be if they were going directly to or from a shooting range.

Wondering if this is true, or if I was reading the law incorrectly?

Thanks everyone.

The op's question has been answered.  If you wish to begin a seperate conversation on another related topic, feel free.  I think we are at the thread hijack stage of the game and should stop to alleviate any confusions the origonal thread starter had.

Which post answered his transportation question with any definitive specificity?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Question on laws pertaining to under 21
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 02:30:18 PM »
Just don't say anything about the gun in your trunk. Don't leave anything visible in the passenger compartment that would give rise to RAS, and if asked to consent to a search, refuse and "wash, rinse, repeat".
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
You are right Pat, in an effort to clarify the guys question and answer, keep discussing.  My mistake.  Op, if you are still unsure, feel free to PM me, I am unsubscribing from this myself.

-north
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 05:29:08 PM »
According to the definitions I found it seems like if you have the ability to take control of it, and you know and can have the intention of taking control of it, then you are in "contructive possession" of it.  It seems like its possession of something, without physical possession of something, like having it in your pocket. 

So from my understanding Bronson your follow up post would be a correct example of constructive possession.

This turned into a pretty informative thread.

Explain why, as you understand it, the legislature chose to use the terms "possess" and "transport" and "carry" separately, specifically, and not interchangeably in enacting the Michigan firearm statutes.

However I'm sure as an intelligent man you understand how the legal system can turn it around from "he was just transporting his gun as provided in *this section*" to make it "well your honor by having it in his car, the car in which he was in possession and control of, the defendant was in indirect possession of the firearm, as explained by constructive possession.  The defendant knowingly had the firearm in his vehicle while he was on the premises of such and such and having done so violated *this section* because the vehicle the firearm was in was in his possession and the defedant was aware of the firearm"

But like bronson said, dont say anything about it, dont have anything in your passenger compartment that would hint you have a firearm and if they ask to search say no. 

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »
I guess in an attempt to provide a clear answer to the OP, yes, under 750.231a you can transport a firearm by having it enclosed in a case designed for tranportation and in your trunk, unloaded.  However just be sure to stay off of the locations provided in 750.234d.  There is also a list of places in MI that are licensed under the MI liquor contral act, Im not at home so I dont have my links so maybe another member would be able to provide you with the link.

Just stay smart and you should be fine.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Question on laws pertaining to under 21
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
You people better stop agreeing with Pat, his head swells! ;)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 06:21:26 PM »
This is getting carried away.

This thread is done.

I'm through trolling it.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 06:24:58 PM »
Actually I do want to say just one more thing regarding this...

Federal law allows for the transportation of firearms across state lines. To paraphrase, they have to be unloaded, encased, and in the trunk. If this were to be construed as "possession" in any form (constructive or otherwise), all of us would be running the risk of arrest.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2011, 11:51:40 PM »
I guess its how you look at it.  just driving through, transportation, doing something illegal like buying drugs youll be in possession.  The courts make it suit their needs.