Author Topic: SEEKING IDEAS FOR FUNDRAISERS - MOC LEGAL FUND (CADL v. MOC)  (Read 12131 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
SEEKING IDEAS FOR FUNDRAISERS - MOC LEGAL FUND (CADL v. MOC)
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:55:21 PM »
Michigan Open Carry, Inc. is seeking ideas for fund raisers.  Some criteria to consider when submitting your ideas:

• How your idea could be implemented.
  • How capital intensive is your idea (how much money will it cost up front).
  • How much participation it will draw
  • Profit margins per item.

Projects that are more less capital intensive with a higher chance of participation and a higher per unit profit margin will be favored over those which are very capital intensive and/or have a low participation and lower per unit profit.

These ideas will go to benefit the Michigan Open Carry, Inc. legal fund (CADL v. MOC) to help pay our very generous legal council.

Please submit your ideas in this thread or to board@miopencarry.org.

It'd be extremely helpful if you had some ideas on how to implement your idea as well.  For example: if you suggest a CPL class, suggest a facility that would be willing to host us for no/little cost.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
Re: SEEKING IDEAS FOR FUNDRAISERS - MOC LEGAL FUND (CADL v. MOC)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 06:49:11 AM »
Well this is obviously not "my" idea, but might be a good one with some advertizing... Should be inexpensive enough to make it profitable for the cause. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/27/arizona-gun-club-invites-families-to-pose-with-santa-and-machine-gun/?test=latestnews
Daniel
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 03:34:15 PM »
I know a guy with a .50 cal mounted gun and a "maw duece."  He might be able to help us out...I can contact him if thats the route you want to take.

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:46:39 PM »
Hmmmm, where can we get a santa type guy with a big build and a sunny disposition?  Someone good around kids.  I'll ask around.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 12:29:18 PM »
Ya know... My wife initially thought this was a dumb idea but has warmed up to it quite well. I told my 15 and 12 year old daughters about this and asked if they would have a picture taken with Santa while holding a gun and Santa holding an assult rifle and they both immediately said yes! I think this could work for ya'll!

Daniel
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:51:02 PM »
If it could be advertised enough to get a decent group to come out I'm sure it could raise a lot of money, as well as awareness.  Maybe even set up a table with information for people to sign up to be MOC members, have a keychain or t shirt to give to them for signing up.  I wouldnt have a problem manning a table to help out.

Offline PaulC

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »
what about renting a range and having a "Charity Shoot" or something like that... 
"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »
could have another chili cook off...make tickets, $5 bucks per ticket to attend

Offline Woody

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
How about raffling off a nice firearm?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:03:32 PM »
How about raffling off a nice firearm?

That idea has come up and we'll be evaluating it ;)

...esp since a member has offered to possibly donate one...

Offline RenegadeMarine

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 02:56:06 AM »
I mentioned this to board members in the past, but was told that it is too difficult to get people to donate the items. But, lets try it again. My fiance is the manager of a very nice banquet hall in Clinton Twp, and she said that she would give us a pretty good deal on a fundraiser dinner. We could sell tickest to this event, and raffle and/or auction off items, plus 50/50 raffle(s) etc. We could try to find someone to donate(or for a small fee) some sort of entertainment, such as a band or DJ or whatever else we could find that might draw a crowd. I understand that it would take some work to get the items donated, but I think this could be an opportunity to make a decent amount of money. Even if we just did a dinner and 50/50 raffles, it would not require any items to be donated, and really wouldn't take much effort to put together. Let me know what you guys think.

Brian

Offline Woody

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 06:57:22 AM »
I was involved in a club before and we used to put on a pig roast and or a turkey fry every year.That seemed to make us money  every year. We also had t-shirts/stickers/hats that we sold on the site. just my 02.

Offline Woody

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »
I was involved in a club before and we used to put on a pig roast and or a turkey fry every year.That seemed to make us money  every year. We also had t-shirts/stickers/hats that we sold on the site. just my 02.
  BTW how many "paying members" are there. What are the club rules about non paying memebers going to events if any?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 07:51:22 AM »
Events -- dinners, etc -- are generally open to the public.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:09 AM »
I'm shooting from the hip here so bear with me because I wasn't directly invovled so I don't have all the info.  Another non-profit org I'm involved with wanted to have a raffle fund raiser but there was some issue in them having to get a license from the state lottery/gaming commission (or some such office).  I seem to remember that the raffle was considered a game of chance or something like that and without the license it would have endangered the non-profit status.  I don't think the issue was in being able to get the license but in getting the license in time for the event they had planned.

Might be something to look into if the raffle is a contender.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
I heard the same thing, for a raffle...at least in MI...you have to have a license from the lottery/gaming commission.  Might be worth it if there are plans for several raffles in the future, especially if it raises a significant amount of money.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 02:54:40 PM »
The board is aware of the license requirements are already investigating options. This will probably be an agenda item at the next board meeting. Those dying to know the details may wish to consider attending.

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »
Keep in mind MOC, Inc has to be a Michigan non-profit for five years before we can get a gaming license to hold raffles and 50/50s.

Or if we decide to also get a federal non-profit status (includes lots of paperwork and $100s in fees) along with our Michigan status we could get a gaming license when all the paperwork is accepted and approved by the feds.

Once we do qualify for a gaming license we still have to get approval from the local municipality of the official mailing address of MOC.  So loots of hoops to get the necessary license to get a raffle license.

We could and have operated under the license of another organization though and that remains a possibility.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:29:17 PM by venator »
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 07:58:13 AM »
Questions about the status of the case have been moved.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:04:13 AM by TheQ »

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 11:50:23 PM »
The CPL class was mentioned a while back for fundraising. Is it still being contemplated? I have 3 possible attendees in the Wyandott area.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update