Author Topic: Open carry experience on public state game/hunting land in Lake Orion  (Read 5371 times)

Offline daveslim182

I was hunting with my pistol on public state game/hunting land in Lake Orion (northern oakland county) and was approached by an oakland county police officer.  He had no problem that I was openly carrying a pistol, but he had no idea that it was legal to hunt with a pistol in the shotgun zone.  I was with 3 other hunters and we had killed a deer so he called DNR and they came out and made sure we were doing everything legally.  DNR confirmed that it is indeed legal to hunt with a pistol, but the DNR officer tried telling me that my 9mm was too small to hunt with.  I knew he was incorrect because I looked up the minimum caliber required to hunt with and it is .350.  A 9mm luger cartridge is .356 in diameter.  No tickets were given and it was dark so they let us leave.  Next time I go out hunting, I will have some kind of reference on me that states that a 9mm cartridge converts to .356 inch/caliber. 

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Open carry experience on public state game/hunting land in Lake Orion
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
I have been handgun hunting in Zone 3 for 25 years. I am still amazed at the number of people that think it is unlawful.

It was through this method of hunting that  I learned that open carry was lawful.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 04:13:13 PM »
Great info guys... Thanx!
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 04:58:06 PM »
I have been handgun hunting in Zone 3 for 25 years. I am still amazed at the number of people that think it is unlawful.

It was through this method of hunting that  I learned that open carry was lawful.
Well at that time OC would have been controlled by local ordinances.  But since 1990 preemption has been in place.  And until a couple of years ago you could only transport a handgun for a few enumerated reasons.  So while legal it was very difficult to just OC in all the place we can now and we can now transport a handgun for all lawful reasons.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 05:02:31 PM »
While that is true, all of the areas that I did it in had no local ordinances. It was also a local LEO that taught me about OC back then. And about discharging firearms lawfully near residences and Sunday hunting on private property. Some LEOs are actually very informed about firearm laws. Especially if it is an area of their interest.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Vlad

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »
In the regs, it says it must be .35 caliber or larger and must be a straight walled case.  I do not know if the  9mm is considered Straight walled or not.  Also a handgun may not hold more than 9 rounds in both magazine and chamber (8+1).  2011 Michigan Hunting and Trapping Digest page 28, 2nd column 4th paragraph 3rd bullet point.

Vlad
TANSTAAFL!

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »
Yes 9mm is straight walled and is .356 to. 358 so is OK to hunt with.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."