Author Topic: WANTED: Volunteers to be a part of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. Leadership  (Read 28544 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
We have several positions open within the leadership team.  I'll describe each below.  In order to fill one of these positions you must be a dues paying member of Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

Event Coordinator
We have openings in several geographical areas that I would like to see filled by energetic members willing to organize an event between once a month and once a quarter in each area.  You would work with the regional coordinator in your region (NW, SW, NE, SE, UP).
Areas available are:
  • Greater Grand Rapids (Potentially includes Holland and Muskegon)
  • Tri-Cities (Bay City, Saginaw, Midland (+Flint))
  • Flint
  • Metro-Detroit
  • Mt. Pleasant
  • Jackson
  • Traverse City
  • Port Huron

Communications Director
Should have excellent written and verbal communication skills.  Able to advocate for Open Carry in print, behind a radio microphone, and in front of a TV camera.  Works with the Board of Directors on press releases as needed.

Please feel free to post questions in this thread.  Interested members should contact board@miopencarry.org

I'll Update this thread as positions are filled or become available.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 11:18:03 PM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: WANTED: Volunteers to be a part of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. Leadership
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:28:29 AM »
May I suggest you and the board consider the following?

The SE MI. area is where the bulk of the population lives, it only makes sense to focus there and use the experience gained there to enrich our activities in the other areas.

We should establish a Family friendly media events coordinator(s) for every area [OC/CC & PFZ carry will never be fully excepted by the general public until they see families carrying legally holstered pistols]. As with many things in life it is easy to pick at a group of guys as thugs with "tough guy syndrome" It is a little harder to fault a group of women, men and children all gathered together  to enjoy a lunch or dinner, a fund raiser for JDF, Cancer research, St. Jude's, children hospital, a game of softball, apple seed shoot, bowling etc... I hope you & others can see the wisdom in this?

Establish a Detroit specific event coordinator with several deputy's to assist.

Establish a Downriver specific event coordinator with a deputy(s) to assist.

These area's are in my honest opinion completely under served by us (and others) at this time. With good planning and follow through, these areas could yield many new members. The areas mentioned here are experiencing rapid rises in crime in conjunction with slashed emergency services (police/fire etc...) Many people that live there are becoming more concerned for their safety. In my area [Downriver] the majority of people have always been pro 2A to the best of my knowledge, and are painfully aware of the limitations of their police.   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:39:27 AM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:58:44 AM »
May I suggest you and the board consider the following?

The SE MI. area is where the bulk of the population lives, it only makes sense to focus there and use the experience gained there to enrich our activities in the other areas.

I'm always open to hearing suggestions. ;)

I agree there is much to be had in the Metro-Detroit area, but I refuse to neglect the rest of the State.  We've been having much activity in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area, in large credit to a new, energized volunteer event coordinator who is focused on those cities. I will happily take an energized volunteer wherever I can find one, in or out of metro-D.

We should establish a Family friendly media events coordinator(s) for every area [OC/CC & PFZ carry will never be fully excepted by the general public until they see families carrying legally holstered pistols]. As with many things in life it is easy to pick at a group of guys as thugs with "tough guy syndrome" It is a little harder to fault a group of women, men and children all gathered together  to enjoy a lunch or dinner, a fund raiser for JDF, Cancer research, St. Jude's, children hospital, a game of softball, apple seed shoot, bowling etc... I hope you & others can see the wisdom in this?

Sure, I can see the wisdom in having family events.  How do I put handguns onto the hips of women?  My wife goes to events and when she does, she wears a firearm.  I'm not capable not desiring of forcing women to attend AND carry.  We've had dinners before.  Women attended those dinners.  I don't recall seeing many of them carrying though.  I see how having more women carry could help the cause, but how do you propose we make that happen exactly?  It's a good vision, I'm having difficulty seeing the implementation.  Maybe you could help?

Establish a Detroit specific event coordinator with several deputy's to assist.

Establish a Downriver specific event coordinator with a deputy(s) to assist.

Are you volunteering to fill one of these posts?  We have plenty of ideas in this organization.  Sadly what we lack is people of action.  Are you volunteering to be one of these people of action?

These area's are in my honest opinion completely under served by us (and others) at this time. With good planning and follow through, these areas could yield many new members. The areas mentioned here are experiencing rapid rises in crime in conjunction with slashed emergency services (police/fire etc...) Many people that live there are becoming more concerned for their safety. In my area [Downriver] the majority of people have always been pro 2A to the best of my knowledge, and are painfully aware of the limitations of their police.

I agree, events yield members.  That is totally 100% correct.

We have many areas (not just metro-D) that are underserved by us.  We will serve the areas we can with the volunteers we have.  If I have a volunteer in Alpena who sets up an event twice a month there, should I turn him away and say, "I'm sorry, we're focussing on metro-D""?  As mentioned previously, our problem is the lack of volunteers.  You see how popular and hopping this thread is, I'm sure?  Will you hep us? Maybe you can help us make your vision a reality?

PS. Some forum reading software (like Tap-a-talk, which is used by many to read this forum on their phone) gets a bit cranky when you use a '[' or ']' outside of a tag (like to bold).  You might want to avoid using them in future post.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
Q - Thanks for the reply,

I will help - is MasterControl still the coordinator for my area? I was not suggesting any area being ignored, nor was I saying anything about forcing women to attend events? I am far too smart for that... I hope.   What I was trying to impress on you and the others is: if we can build a female  & minority membership we will be a better/stronger group for it. 

I would suggest gearing some events towards that. For example the former secretary *Shaun* of MOC goes to the Eastern market in Detroit often with OC friends. Now if we could turn that toe hold into women friendly event(s) a.k.a. SHOPPING as spring/summer approaches we may be onto something, getting it yet?  ;) Then expand the idea to other farmer/craft markets in different areas. This is just one example of how we can get creative and expand our membership.

Thanks for the tapa talk warning I will avoid bold tags I guess? Sounds like a quirk in their app?

P.S. I know GLX is too far for some but My wife has yet to turn down the opportunity to go there and shop ;) On the
other hand she has not made many of the Bass Pro events there....you get my point? Wink, wink.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:43:43 PM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
OP updated.  We need your help.  If interested PLEASE FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS IN THE OP!

Offline TERMINATOR

• TERMINATOR Sport Fishing Charters - Pentwater, MI
  • First Name (Displayed): Freedom Is NOT Free...
I've been avoiding a membership for the simple fact that I don't want to get caught up in any foolishness regarding the restraining order, I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with it, but I don't want to find out one day that I no longer have constitutional rights because CADL through a tantrum because they were loosing.

That said if I can still help I would volunteer.  I could do most anything in the Detroit area.

I really don't understand what being a member of MOC has to do with losing your constitutional rights but whatever... ???
Shooting up my addiction to FREEDOM
Life Member NRA
Member GOA
Member MOC

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
I really don't understand what being a member of MOC has to do with losing your constitutional rights but whatever... ???

It doesn't.  No dues paying member lost any rights as a result of the CADL case that weren't also lost by the General Public.

Offline TERMINATOR

• TERMINATOR Sport Fishing Charters - Pentwater, MI
  • First Name (Displayed): Freedom Is NOT Free...

It doesn't.  No dues paying member lost any rights as a result of the CADL case that weren't also lost by the General Public.

Agreed

Sounds like rationalization for his decision not to invest $20 a year in MOC and the fight to preserve his 2nd Amendment and Michigan constitutional rights to me but whatever.

Personally I feel that $20 a year is a bargain when it comes to supporting the cause of Open Carry and 2A if your passionate about the cause but I guess that might just be me.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:53:23 PM by TERMINATOR »
Shooting up my addiction to FREEDOM
Life Member NRA
Member GOA
Member MOC

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Was the restraining order only for MOC members when the whole thing started, then eventually everybody was included after it went to court, I can not remember? I'm just wondering if that person got bad info and made their decision based on that.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
OP updated to reflect changes in needs.

Offline Scotchman

• Luke 22:36
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
>> Event Coordinator for Metro Detroit Area.

Well, I can not guarantee that kind of commitment and being a new guy to this I am not qualified...

BUT --

>> Establish a Downriver specific event coordinator with a deputy(s) to assist.

I could volunteer as a "deputy/assistant" possibly. I would like to get involved and would like to help. not sure how yet but want to get into the loop and perhaps help/or arrange something local.

Let me know. I want to help out if I can and will do more as my kids get older and I learn more about this area.

Luke 22:36 * [Jesus said] ... and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

We all hear John 3:16 or Matthew 7:1 - by people who never read the rest of those chapters either.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 04:47:23 PM »
I didn't notice any need for people in the Monroe/Monroe County area. like Scotchman, I too am interested in helping, but I also am new to this (organizing events and such, not OC).
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline weissb3550

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Brett
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »
I nominate Mike Aquilina for S.E. coordinator. I am certainly willing to be a deputy/assistant coordinator if needed.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 11:17:23 PM »
I nominate Mike Aquilina for S.E. coordinator. I am certainly willing to be a deputy/assistant coordinator if needed.
We are looking at him for the Downriver area.  The SE Coordinator is going to be a bigger position.  We will fill it from a regional coordinator once they have shown themselves reliable and decide they want to handle more.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 08:01:58 PM »
To schedule events you do not have to have a specific title such as "[local area] event coordinator" you can certainly schedule events on your own for your area and MOC will be happy to advertise them.  Some things to remember are:

• Schedule an event at an establishment that is not licensed to sell alcohol (this will accomodate non CPL holders who OC)
  • Afternoon lunches work great on the weekend as well as dinners, late dinners have also worked out for weekday events as well, however to maximize your turnout the weekend usually works best for people
  • Try to schedule the event a few weeks out, primarily because it gives people time to plan for that day if they want to go, also it provides time to advertise the event.
  • When you're scheduling an event make a courtesy call to the establishment to reserve the day and to make them aware that those attending will be lawfully carrying firearms (I havent been turned away yet so dont worry) we dont want to surpise them by just showing up

Setting up events are usually pretty simple and only take a little while to organize and post. If you have any questions about setting up events MOC leadership is always available to answer questions.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »
Yance started out as an Assistant Deputy Southwestern Michigian Regional Events Coordinator. And within a few short weeks he became the Michigan Open Carry, Inc. So there is great promotion potential as a volunteer in MOC.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 04:40:39 PM »
Yance started out as an Assistant Deputy Southwestern Michigian Regional Events Coordinator. And within a few short weeks months he became the Michigan Open Carry, Inc VP. So there is great promotion potential as a volunteer in MOC.

FIFY

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »
FIFY

Thx. I meant to say Vice-President. And it sure seemed like just a few weeks elapsed in his meteoric assent to power.

Offline thamesmeister

• First Name (Displayed): Max
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »
I have a friend that is a sheriff's deputy and cpl instructor.  We discussed the open carry issue and he took the  information on Michigan State Police Legal Update #86, Dated October 26, 2010.  This is a very instructive position by the M.S.P. and clearly supports the goals of this group. 

When I asked him the position of the Lapeer County Sheriff's Department, he admitted open carry problems in Lapeer County in the past.  He also admitted that he had not seen this update and plans to include it on his commercial website for his CPL classes.

Given his response, I feel that Lapeer County may be a good place to hold M.O.C. meetings.  Since I am an open carry "virgin", I would like to discuss the proper way to begin with confidence with a board member.  My intention is to volunteer as a meeting coordinator in the not too distant future.

American citizens have been intimidated out of our constitutional rights far too long.  We need to retrieve them one amendment at a time.....

My phone number is 810-895-5015

Max Thames

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »
If you would like to volunteer contact board@miopencarry.org and we can get you started on how you can start volunteering