Author Topic: city of Fraser purchase permit  (Read 3741 times)

Offline zancruse

city of Fraser purchase permit
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:35:20 PM »
My wife an I both bought pistols last month, no cpl yet, and the City of Fraser charge us 10.00 dollars each for the permit.  Did the City rip me off?  They did not say anything about notarizing the permit or anything, I just assumed it was a processing fee.  Will I ever see my 20 bucks?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: city of Fraser purchase permit
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:03:14 PM »
http://michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1638_8736-85787--,00.html

A Notary is allowed, by law, to charge up to $10 (per document) for their service.  You are not required to use the Police Department's service, but I read no obligation in the statute where they are required to tell you that you can take it anywhere.  Sadly, this may be a case of caveat emptor.  Would others like to chime in?  I'm open to being told I'm wrong

...Now if you would have told them you would rather have it notarized elsewhere and they refused to give you the permit unless you had it notarized there -- then game on!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:08:54 AM »
http://michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1638_8736-85787--,00.html

A Notary is allowed, by law, to charge up to $10 (per document) for their service.  You are not required to use the Police Department's service, but I read no obligation in the statute where they are required to tell you that you can take it anywhere.  Sadly, this may be a case of caveat emptor.  Would others like to chime in?  I'm open to being told I'm wrong

...Now if you would have told them you would rather have it notarized elsewhere and they refused to give you the permit unless you had it notarized there -- then game on!

Accurate information. You paid for a notary fee. Not for the permit. My bank does not charge for notary service. Yours may not also.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
My first PP was free and the deputy who gave it to me was a pleasure to deal with

My 2nd pp was a nightmare and charge me 5.00 and never said a word to me what the 5.00 was for.

I knew what it was for, and it was just fine with me, it would have cost me 5 bucks just to drive to the bank and back to get it done for free, but it would have been nice she at least explain it to me!
I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!