Author Topic: SEEKING IDEAS FOR FUNDRAISERS - MOC LEGAL FUND (CADL v. MOC)  (Read 12098 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
SEEKING IDEAS FOR FUNDRAISERS - MOC LEGAL FUND (CADL v. MOC)
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 07:52:05 AM »
As a matter of fact, yes -- there is one in the planning phase right now for the Metro-D area, that's all I really have for public consumption at this time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:57:58 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline PaulC

Re: SEEKING IDEAS FOR FUNDRAISERS - MOC LEGAL FUND (CADL v. MOC)
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »
I have a great Idear... stickers, t-shirts and hats with a 2a centered theme ..sold to raise money. We could have various clever designs that subtly carry the message.. classy not cliche.

Blasted out with my Photon using Tapatalk
"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 09:23:46 PM »
I have a great Idear... stickers, t-shirts and hats with a 2a centered theme ..sold to raise money. We could have various clever designs that subtly carry the message.. classy not cliche.

Great idea. But...

Items like that need to be stocked. Requiring a substantial upfront cash outlay.

It has been tried and a lot of unusual sizes (S, M, &L) were left over. Not enough XXXL ordered to match the membership physiques. D'ooh!

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline PaulC

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
Cafe press :)

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »
Cafe press :)

That is a good idea there Paul. No stocking necessary.

Blasted out with my Commadore VIC20 using Hunt and Peck
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 09:54:42 PM »
I'm shooting from the hip here so bear with me because I wasn't directly invovled so I don't have all the info.  Another non-profit org I'm involved with wanted to have a raffle fund raiser but there was some issue in them having to get a license from the state lottery/gaming commission (or some such office).  I seem to remember that the raffle was considered a game of chance or something like that and without the license it would have endangered the non-profit status.  I don't think the issue was in being able to get the license but in getting the license in time for the event they had planned.

Might be something to look into if the raffle is a contender.

Bronson

We are already aware. Thank you ;)

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 10:04:40 PM »
I mentioned this to board members in the past, but was told that it is too difficult to get people to donate the items. But, lets try it again. My fiance is the manager of a very nice banquet hall in Clinton Twp, and she said that she would give us a pretty good deal on a fundraiser dinner. We could sell tickest to this event, and raffle and/or auction off items, plus 50/50 raffle(s) etc. We could try to find someone to donate(or for a small fee) some sort of entertainment, such as a band or DJ or whatever else we could find that might draw a crowd. I understand that it would take some work to get the items donated, but I think this could be an opportunity to make a decent amount of money. Even if we just did a dinner and 50/50 raffles, it would not require any items to be donated, and really wouldn't take much effort to put together. Let me know what you guys think.

Brian

As MOC Secretary, this month, I have been looking into MOC having a raffle.  Problem with a raffle, According to Michigan Law, if you charge any money to enter the event, you can not even GIVE AWAY door  prizes without a Michigan Raffle permit.

Second thing is there is a 5 year period when a Non Profit group can not even apply.  We have not reach that point yet. 

I will be informing the board as to what I found out and when we can have a raffle, but when we do, we MUST do it as legal as can be as we can be sure that someone will always be watching our every move

I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »
Great idea. But...

Items like that need to be stocked. Requiring a substantial upfront cash outlay.

It has been tried and a lot of unusual sizes (S, M, &L) were left over. Not enough XXXL ordered to match the membership physiques. D'ooh!

Close...past leadership orders 25 xxxl and an additional 25 xxxxl. So we a few left of the M and xxxxl.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »
I mentioned this to board members in the past, but was told that it is too difficult to get people to donate the items. But, lets try it again. My fiance is the manager of a very nice banquet hall in Clinton Twp, and she said that she would give us a pretty good deal on a fundraiser dinner. We could sell tickest to this event, and raffle and/or auction off items, plus 50/50 raffle(s) etc. We could try to find someone to donate(or for a small fee) some sort of entertainment, such as a band or DJ or whatever else we could find that might draw a crowd. I understand that it would take some work to get the items donated, but I think this could be an opportunity to make a decent amount of money. Even if we just did a dinner and 50/50 raffles, it would not require any items to be donated, and really wouldn't take much effort to put together. Let me know what you guys think.

Brian

As MOC Secretary, this month, I have been looking into MOC having a raffle.  Problem with a raffle, According to Michigan Law, if you charge any money to enter the event, you can not even GIVE AWAY door  prizes without a Michigan Raffle permit.

Second thing is there is a 5 year period when a Non Profit group can not even apply.  We have not reach that point yet. 

I will be informing the board as to what I found out and when we can have a raffle, but when we do, we MUST do it as legal as can be as we can be sure that someone will always be watching our every move

What if they were to be considered "donations" by generous people, then of the people that donated money, their names would be drawn at random and the prize is "given" away to whos name is drawn.  any such loop holes?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »
What if they were to be considered "donations" by generous people, then of the people that donated money, their names would be drawn at random and the prize is "given" away to whos name is drawn.  any such loop holes?

We have possible options that we will be discussing at our upcoming board meeting.  That is all I will say.