Author Topic: Legislative Ideas? Post them here!  (Read 4898 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Legislative Ideas? Post them here!
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »
Please feel free to post your legislative ideas here, that is ideas for laws that you think should be changed in Michigan.  We'd all like constitutional carry, but that may be a ways off.  Ideas should be specific, realistic, and target changes of specific laws.

This thread is not for discussion of presented ideas but rather to communicate an idea you have to the Michigan Open Carry, Inc Legislative Action Team.  Discussion will be heavily moderated.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
Re: Legislative Ideas? Post them here!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »
A couple things:

Id like to see 750.227 changed to allow someone to possess a firearm in their vehicle, or to allow someone to have a visible pistol holstered "about" their person, like some other states allow.

Also MCL 750.234d (1)(h) changed to allow firearm possession on the premises of establishments not classified as "bars" or "taverns", allowing OC w/out a CPL at Walmart, Meijer, gas stations, and  restaurants whos primary source of income is NOT the sale of alcohol by the glass.

Offline PaulC

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:19:40 PM »
The ability to keep your handgun in your vehicle at work. An exemption to parking lots like some other states have. HB 5064 (2011)
"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
I'd like to see the CPL law expanded to include tazers and knives...heck any weapon...I know relatives who do not feel comfortable taking a life, but they all say they would get a CPL if it allowed them to get a tazer...

I'd like to see (as noted above) a law that allows you to have your weapon in the parking lot of an employer...so even if I can't protect myself at work...at least I can from home to work and anywhere i go between...

I'd like to have a vehicle counting as "concealed" removed and have the inside of your vehicle be an extension of your home.  This way if I go to pay for gas and I leave one of my firearms in my car with my wife (assuming she did not have a CPL), I am not making her a "felon"...I have always felt that this is a little bit ridiculous...

I'd like to see the purchase permit law be revoked...(though currently it does serve as a convenient way to get around the 1000' federal school gun free zone ... see below).

I'd like to see harsh penalties on counties who fail to provide CPLs to legal individuals in a timely manner (I don't think that giving the CPL process over to the SOS is the right answer).

the below don't really fit in your request, but I'll say them anyway:

The BATF needs to simply be eliminated all together.

The 1000 foot federal school law needs to be repealed (it is already illegal to commit any crime with a firearm...there is no need to punish law-abiding citizens just because they are driving within 1000' of a school property line).

I'd also like to see knife law pre-empted by the state and then revised to remove size limits....but then again...that's not really a firearm issue.  :)

....oh...and I want MI constitutional carry.  ;)
----------------------------------------
-Greyh

Offline baddog543

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:57:52 PM »
I would like it if we didn't have to register our firearms, Michigan is one of the few that still requires us to register our handguns.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:38:13 PM »
Preventing civil lawsuits after justifiable self defense.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
This has already been done to the extent it can be done.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
what about transporting firearms. id like to see that done for non cpl holders :(

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
what about transporting firearms. id like to see that done for non cpl holders :(

non CPL Holders can already transport firearms. MCL 750.231a

However, if you mean carry, then we are working on that. :)

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »
yeah be able to transport in their cars. loaded lol. not nessesarily carried. even cased and loaded is better than having to run to the trunk and fumble around trying to load a mag and chamber a round

Offline gryphon

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan

Offline WarBladejm

• First Name (Displayed): Jerry
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
non CPL Holders can already transport firearms. MCL 750.231a

However, if you mean carry, then we are working on that. :)

what is progress of this? and what can be done to help?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »
what is progress of this? and what can be done to help?

See www.miopencarry.org/legislation

As for helping, keep attending events and make sure you are signed up for our alerts so you know when to contact your legislators. www.miopencarry.org/updates

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 08:10:07 AM »
One quick note: though the links says there is currently no legislation for "car carry", that does not mean it is not being worked on.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 07:31:20 PM »
remove registration....permitless vehicle carry, allow openly carried firearms to be temporarily concealed due to inclement weather while hunting/hiking without a permit(VA has this law)
allow long arms to be carried in vehicles, shall sign clause for CLEO's regarding NFA items, criminal penalties and very hefty fines(say $1000 per day after the yare notified, with a 7 day window for them to repeal without fines)  for preemption violations, suppressors while hunting, full auto while hunting nuisance animals, legislation REQUIRING criminals that survive a defensive gun use to be charged criminally for the shooting itself(assault w/ deadly weapon or attempted murder) or murder if one of their buddies are killed during a crime which they were a part of(they currently can be charged with murder of their friends, though it is rarely used), reinstate the death penalty, authorize the michigan volunteer defense force access to arms while on duty and training at national guard or state police standards, remove the limit on explosive or propellant charges on rockets/fireworks to make it mirror federal law......just a few suggestions

oh, knife preemption too...and making tasers over the counter and not require any permit to own or carry, remove the pepper spray restrictions, too.

my christmas list is big, but lots of it is very feasible.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline Norm

• MOC Member
  • MOC - Life
  • First Name (Displayed): Norm
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 07:52:10 PM »
The ability to keep your handgun in your vehicle at work. An exemption to parking lots like some other states have.
Norm
"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
MOC Life Member,
NRA Benefactor,
MGO Member

Offline gryphon

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 08:09:09 PM »
The ability to keep your handgun in your vehicle at work. An exemption to parking lots like some other states have.

That's HB 4027.  It isn't going anywhere.   :(

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2013-HB-4027

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »
No more duty to inform.
Remove prohibition of loaded weapons in vehicles, long guns & handguns.
Momentary or partial covering of open carry legal. (IWB exposed legal)
Lower CPL cost
CPL issued by SoS just like drivers license. Renewal by mail.

Offline khicks

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
what i would like to see is some teeth to the preemination 123.1102 like $10,000 fine for each person that voted for the ordinance even if there no longer in office, i have nothing against any police officer but the same fine apply to them as well, now this is a personal fine, not to be payed for by the department, school board, they get there own fine.  why should we, orgs have to keep raising funs to fight for our rights   

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 12:31:19 PM »
what i would like to see is some teeth to the preemination 123.1102 like $10,000 fine for each person that voted for the ordinance even if there no longer in office, i have nothing against any police officer but the same fine apply to them as well, now this is a personal fine, not to be payed for by the department, school board, they get there own fine.  why should we, orgs have to keep raising funs to fight for our rights

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2014-HB-5500
     (2) In addition to the requirements under subsection (1), if the court determines an elected or appointed official of the local unit of government knowingly and willfully enacted or enforced an ordinance or regulation in violation of this act, then the court shall assess a civil fine of not more than $5,000.00 against that elected or appointed official, which is in addition to any penalty that may be assessed under 1966 PA 158, MCL 752.11 to 752.12.
     (3) Except as otherwise required by law, public funds shall not be used to defend or reimburse an elected or appointed official of a local unit of government who is determined to have knowingly and willfully enacted or enforced an ordinance or regulation in violation of this act.
The question remains if this will be introduced in the current session.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline khicks

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 06:18:50 PM »
sounds good to me

Offline Langenc

• MOC Member
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 04:07:20 PM »
""allow long arms to be carried in vehicles,"" from #13 or #14

Fish cops up here would have hairy canary over that one.

Gun registration should be #1 along w/ the community paying for lawsuits cause cops/mayors don't follow law(HB4795). It should be a no brainer to get it passed except for the mayors/cops/etc(law breakers).