Author Topic: OC discount, kinda  (Read 7911 times)

Offline RandyK

OC discount, kinda
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:37:52 PM »
Just got a phone call from a buddy. He and his wife were (name of store removed per buddy mentioned in this post) Shelby Twp shopping for a new oven. He was OCing his M&P 9mm. They pick out this oven thats $680.00, as the sales guy rings them up he knocks off $200.00 buy giving him the "Shelby Twp Fire and Police discount". Didn't ask for ID or anything, just assumed he was a cop.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:34:15 AM by autosurgeon »

Offline FatboyCykes

Re: OC discount, kinda
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:13:58 PM »
Not 100% sure how I feels about this :/

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:34:14 PM »
I don't think it was altogether ethical to take the discount...

I hereby void this comment due to further details from the OP's friend!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:13:43 AM by autosurgeon »
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline RandyK

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:37:55 PM »
I guess he didn't put two and two together till after they left the store. Its not like he was going to go back and make them charge him the $200.00. He never claimed to be a cop, it was somebody elses wrong assumption. People make assumptions about OCers every day, usually negative. I work at a GM car dealership and people come in everyday using other peoples employee discounts.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:46:17 PM »
Removed one small bit of your post.

We should not say that recieving LEO discounts,on accident or on purpose, is a benefit of OC.

I would email them and remind them that if they are going to discounts,to check for ID first.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

stainless1911

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 10:52:16 PM »
^ without giving up his freind.

Offline RandyK

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 11:18:48 PM »
When I was at the OC seminar in Novi a MOC member named Frank told a story. I think one of his kids bikes got stolen by a neighborhood kid. The cops came to his door, he answered with his sidearm on, they assumed he was off duty. He said it made the whole incident go more smoothly.

Offline SpringerXDacp

• AmmoDump
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 12:15:29 AM »
"They pick out this oven thats $680.00, as the sales guy rings them up he knocks off $200.00 buy giving him the "Shelby Twp Fire and Police discount"."

Wow, that's not bad...a 30% discount.  Who said crime doesn't pay?   ;D  J/K
Seriously, your Buddy should have done the right thing and fessed up.

How could he or she not have known about the $200 discount at the checkout, whether paying by cash, debit, credit card or check?

Offline viperar15-member

• Michigan Open Carry, Inc
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 07:37:13 AM »
Removed one small bit of your post.

We should not say that recieving LEO discounts,on accident or on purpose, is a benefit of OC.

I would email them and remind them that if they are going to discounts,to check for ID first.

like it or not... it is someones opinion and we should not be changing that. the topic was on topic and nothing went against the AUP in general.

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."  <-- just a quick copy and paste... the user did not in any way come close to any of this.

my apologies to the OP :-)
Shaun Crawford

Offline ronk

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 09:15:06 AM »
"They pick out this oven thats $680.00, as the sales guy rings them up he knocks off $200.00 buy giving him the "Shelby Twp Fire and Police discount"."

How could he or she not have known about the $200 discount at the checkout, whether paying by cash, debit, credit card or check?

Let me explain a little further, since I am this friend that the OP is talking about.

He mentioned in passing after he swiped our debit card that he was giving us (my wife and I) the "Shelby Police and fire discount", not before the deal was done. We were buying the stove regadless.

To be honest, my wife is the one that brought it up to me after we were on our way home. I didn't think anything of it, I just thought he really wanted a sale. My wife on the way home said "Wow, OCing really has it benefits, I think he thought you were off duty since he gave you the police discount", and that is when it clicked that I was actually OCing, since I normally don't. (And before anyone goes off, yes I KNEW my gun was there, I wasn't being irresponsible and not considering the fact that I had it with me).

I will be calling when they open this morning, to tell him what he did. I won't be offering to pay the extra $200 unless for some reason it comes down to him loosing his job.

Ill report back once I talk to him.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 09:38:34 AM »

Let me explain a little further, since I am this friend that the OP is talking about.

He mentioned in passing after he swiped our debit card that he was giving us (my wife and I) the "Shelby Police and fire discount", not before the deal was done. We were buying the stove regadless.

To be honest, my wife is the one that brought it up to me after we were on our way home. I didn't think anything of it, I just thought he really wanted a sale. My wife on the way home said "Wow, OCing really has it benefits, I think he thought you were off duty since he gave you the police discount", and that is when it clicked that I was actually OCing, since I normally don't. (And before anyone goes off, yes I KNEW my gun was there, I wasn't being irresponsible and not considering the fact that I had it with me).

I will be calling when they open this morning, to tell him what he did. I won't be offering to pay the extra $200 unless for some reason it comes down to him loosing his job.

Ill report back once I talk to him.

You are doing the right thing! Good job.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline ronk

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 10:37:08 AM »
Ok, here we go. Just spoke with the salesman.

Conversation went as such:

"Hi, "S". My wife and I bought an oven from you yesterday"

S- "Oh yeah, did you get it installed, everything work ok?"

"Yup perfect. That's not what Im calling about though. You told me you were giving me the Police and Fire discount. I just want to be perfectly clear that Im not a cop and never told you I was."

"Oh, I know you aren't one. I know what most of the Shelby guys look like. But you're an OC'er. My manager, who lucky for you, wasn't here yet, when you came in. We are under directive from her, that weapons are to be treated as hostility towards ourselves and our customers and the police are to be called immediatley and the "offender" stalled until help can arrive. I think that is complete garbage, I believe in your right, my right and every law obidding citizen to be able to protect themselves, their families and the general public if the situation arises. I gave you that, because I wanted to show my support to you, without coming out and saying it for others to hear. You obviously weren't being threatening, you walked in, holding your wifes hand, smiling and obviously spending a nice day with her. But, please do not disclose my name or location to anyone, since I did see the post from your friend on MOC last night. I wanted to register on the forum and jump in, but, didn't want to be innendated with discount requests."

"Oh ok, no problem. Thank You very much"

"No problem, if you ever need anything else, please come see me, but, next time to be safe for you, just leave it in the car in case she's here"

"No problem, thanks your help."

So folks...I was not mistaken for an LEO.

And the story ends happily.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »
Very interesting! I take back my original comment!  ;D

Offline ronk

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 11:18:40 AM »
Very interesting! I take back my original comment!  ;D

Surprised me as well.

I really was expecting "Ummm, why would you have a gun if you weren't a cop? You need to pay us that money!"

Also Auto, since you're a mod could you do me a favor and take the store name out of Randy's post please?

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 11:32:46 AM »
Done

Offline ronk

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 11:45:55 AM »
Thanks.

Offline viperar15-member

• Michigan Open Carry, Inc
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 11:47:34 AM »
just another supporter to the cause :-)
Shaun Crawford

Offline FatboyCykes