Author Topic: black powder  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Grayeagle

black powder
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:19:22 PM »
does the law dffer for black powder pistols
IE; open carry
if so how
Grayeagle

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: black powder
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:27:21 PM »
Here is some reading materials for you:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

From the FAQ section:

2.  I have a replica of an antique pistol. Is a License to Purchase or Pistol Sales Record required in Michigan? Is it necessary that I obtain a Michigan Concealed Pistols License?

MCL 28.422  No, antique pistols made before 1898 and replicas of antiques that use black powder, matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system do not require a License to Purchase.  The pistol is still subject to all concealed pistol licensing laws.

From this it would seem that you can OC a BP pistol, however you should consult a lawyer before doing so, if you have any doubts. I know there are several member who carry them. Member CrossPistols comes to mind. To legally OPEN carry a modern pistol [Non CPL holders] it must be carried only by the registered owner in a proper, fully  visible holster (via a Purchase Permit ).

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:39:40 PM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993