Author Topic: Re-Post-changes to State Law?  (Read 5225 times)

Offline BDO

Re-Post-changes to State Law?
« on: February 14, 2012, 02:25:39 AM »
I tried to post this yesterday, but I don't think it worked so I am reposting

In October 2008 and again in October of 2009 I obtained pistol purchase permits from the City of Grand Rapids PD. I took the test, did the paperwork, had them run the background check, and in each case 15-20 minutes later I was issued the purchase permit on the spot.

Last week I attempted to obtain one at the same PD from the exact same lady that helped the last two times and about 15 minutes into the process she says " I know we have issued pistol purchase permits to you before, but some things have changed and your record shows some arrests without anymore notes and that has to be reviewed which normally takes 3-5 days, but my supervisor is out so it will take longer than 5 days." she gave me a phone number and reference number to call back to check the status. I asked if the arrests were from 1991 and she confirmed that they were from 1991 and 1992 which I let her know were arrests for what was a minor in possession of Alcohol and I believe it was a civil infraction not even a misdeamonor. She apologized but said that I had to call back.

I am wondering if this is a change in State Law or with the Police Department Policy. Is anybody aware of any changes in State law in this regard since October of 2009? you would think that under Snyder policy would be more friendly towards gun owner rights.

Also, since I haven't kept up with changes to Open Carry Legislation since I researched a few years ago, has there been any changes that I should be aware when I open carry? I still open carry occasionally and have never had any problems but I would hate to find out it was outlawed by a cop when I am in the back of his Patrol Car.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Re-Post-changes to State Law?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 02:41:47 PM »
You had a similar post on OCDO, but not here.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline BDO

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:54:37 PM »
I apologize, I can't find where I posted or what the difference is between OCDO and this forum.  Open Carry.org seems to link to the same forum.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »
This is forums.miopencarry.org. The other is forums.opencarry.org.

The former is linked from Michigan Open Carry's website. The latter is linked on OpenCarry.org's.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:11:20 AM by TheQ »

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member

Offline BDO

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that. 

I saw your response about the PD.  LOL

Is there any law that requires them to issue permits in a certain amount of time that you are aware of?

I was thinking of e mailing the Cheif of PD

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 04:02:31 PM »

Offline BDO

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »