Author Topic: CPL disqualifications list  (Read 6244 times)

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
CPL disqualifications list
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
There are a lot of misdemeanors on this list that prevent a person from obtaining a CPL for between 3 and 8 years even though they can still purchase, possess, transport and carry a pistol legally under MCL 28.422.  Its a little tough to understand why under MI law someone can have a firearm and carry that firearm but they cannot receive a CPL.  Is this something that could be addressed and discussed with the MSP to potentially reduce the list of disqualifications?

Offline northofnowhere

Re: CPL disqualifications list
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:58:03 PM »
The list is not maintained by the Michigan State Police.  It is written in the firearms laws of Michigan.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
Well then lets change that then, although with anything CPL doesnt the MSP have a lot to weigh in on the dicision making?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
CPL disqualifications list
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »
Well then lets change that then,

WAY low on my priorities list. Sorry. There's only so many things we can work at a time and in one session.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:39:21 PM »
Historically, the legislature has regulated the concealed carrying of a pistol because it is an activity practiced by criminals. Those crimes that are listed are to preclude those criminals from carrying concealed pistols. The legislature has not regulated those criminals from "purchasing, possessing, carrying, or transporting" a pistol so as to not allow them their right to bear arms. The permit to purchase therefore retains that right for them to otherwise "purchase, possess, carry, and transport" a pistol for lawful purposes.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline yance

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:00:02 AM »
Makes sense pat and Q, I'm not saying today  :P I'm just saying maybe its something we can look into doing.  Im fully aware of what's priority at this moment. ;)