Author Topic: Encounter at DTW  (Read 6707 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Encounter at DTW
« on: February 24, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »
A person I shall only identify as "RK" (because of his request for anonymity) wrote this to me this morning:

This morning, I arrived at DTW after being away from home for 2 weeks on a business trip to California and after a redeye flight. While there I lost my parking ticket for the Delta Garage. Its a pretty simple procedure to replace a lost ticket and have had no issues in the past. They simply run you car registration and your license to insure you are not wanted nor your car is stolen. After about 10 minutes of waiting the "officer" returns to me in a very hostile manner, the following is the word for word conversation we had:

Him- Mr K, do you have a CPL?
Me- Yes, I am unarmed though.
Him- Don't you think it would have been a good idea to tell me? I could arrest you right now for a felony!
Me- A felony? For what?
Him- Not telling an officer of the law that you have a CPL
Me- That's only an offense if I was armed and didn't tell you.
Him- No..Its a felony if you don't tell me at all.
Me- Sir, I believe you should study the law a bit closer. I only need to say anything IF I am armed.
Him- Keep running your trap and I'll be sure to arrest your smart ass
Me- I would LOVE for you to arrest me. Because I'll be sure that Wayne County, The Detroit Airport Authority, and you all make sure that my family and I are taken care of for life financially for false arrest and imprisonment.
Him- Luckily for you this wasn't a traffic stop, otherwise you'd be face down on the cold wet pavement.
Me- Am I free to go or can I call my lawyer?

At this point he did an about face and walked away.

I find it amazing that people that supposedly need to uphold the law, can't get a simple one straight.
Unfortunately for me, I had been awake for over 24 hours at this point and wasn't thinking fast enough to get his name or badge number, otherwise his day would have probably turned out much different.
I thought it would be good as a word of warning to the others out there.

Comment/Discuss as you wish.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:28:15 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Encounter at DTW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »
Typical gun + badge = the biggest street gang in America.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
Even if he had been carrying, failure to notify isn't a felony.  It isn't even a misdemeanor.  What's wrong with these people?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:27:39 PM by gryphon »

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:18:22 PM »
Also if it was a traffic stop and he was unarmed there would be no violation of law in that matter either.  Sounds like someone wanted to try to throw their weight around and it didnt work.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:07:28 AM »
I'm sure that his cpl came up when he ran his license. A couple years ago while crossing into Canada at the Port Huron bridge, the Canadian custom agent asked me if I was carrying a gun into Canada after running my driver's lic. I said No. Some peoples kids...

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
I'm sure that his cpl came up when he ran his license. A couple years ago while crossing into Canada at the Port Huron bridge, the Canadian custom agent asked me if I was carrying a gun into Canada after running my driver's lic. I said No. Some peoples kids...

EVERY time I have crossed into Canada, they have asked if I had any guns.
Started long before I got a CPL.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »
Me too. They also ask if I've ever been arrested.

As a side note... drunk driving in Canada is a crime, unlike in Michigan. A conviction in Michigan (anywhere in U.S. actually) is reason to refuse entry into Canada, as Canada does not allow convicted criminals entry.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:16:59 AM by CV67PAT »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:20:48 PM »
If I were the person who wrote the letter I would go after the mystery cop.
If he ran the drivers license and registration there will be a record of who ran it. You will need a date and approx time it happened.
I am not sure who the airport cops work for these days, it used to be the Wayne County Sheriff but I believe that has changed to a government acronym a few years back.

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »
I work near and visit various DTW terminals daily. I have had similar incidents with both TSA agents and the State of Michigan Commercial Vehicle enforcement. In all cases I did not try and explain the law but merely suggested that if the officer felt this was the law they should feel free to right me a ticket or take me to jail and we could discuss it in court. If neither is going to happen am I free to go? In every case although a bit disgruntled I have went on my merry way...Some how the CPL status is on my TSA cert. So anytime I have to get in a secure area and show my badge it pops up in the system. They then become Owl's with rotating heads...It's quite comical.
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline METL

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »
Correct me if I"m wrong, but it seems that "RK" had no duty to disclose because he was not "stopped" by the officer.  If I walk up to an officer and say "can you give me directions to..." I"m quite sure that there is not a duty to disclose.  I think that "RK" needs to find out who this guy was and follow up on it....     sounds like not only is someone pretty ignorant of the law (it's not a felony to not disclose) they sound like a police brutality case waiting to happen...  just all sorts of hot to trot to get someone "face down on the pavement"  What an Ahole.