Author Topic: HB 5145 - First Degree Murder to Shoot into a house.  (Read 6191 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
HB 5145 - First Degree Murder to Shoot into a house.
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
HB 5145 would make it first degree murder to:

(b) Murder committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, arson, criminal sexual conduct in the first, second, or third degree, child abuse in the first degree, a major controlled substance offense, robbery, carjacking, breaking and entering of a dwelling, home invasion in the first or second degree, larceny of any kind, extortion, kidnapping, vulnerable adult abuse in the first and second degree under section 145n, torture under section 85, or aggravated stalking under section 411i, or intentionally discharging a firearm at a dwelling or an occupied structure under section 234b.

(Parts added are bold)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Re: HB 5145 - First Degree Murder to Shoot into a house.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »
It is currently manslaughter (and rightfully so, IMHO) if you are shooting in self-defense at an attacker and one of your "stray bullets" enters the home behind the attacker and kills someone.

Question: would this bill make this scenario first degree murder?

Discuss!

Offline Bronson

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:37:01 AM »
I think the purpose of this is for the "drive-by" scenario.  With the inclusion of the word "intentionally" in the added section I would think that would preclude a missed SD shot that accidentally enters a home behind the bad guy.  After all the INTENT wasn't to shoot at the home, the intent was to shoot at the bad guy and you missed.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Warchild

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »
I'm surprised at you Q.
You should never miss aiming at center mass.  :P
What miss/stray bullet?  ::)

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:02:35 PM »
I'm not too familiar with the castle doctrine, but would that protect you from any recourse from a stray bullet in a SD scenario?

I also agree that this is probably more a long the lines of shooting into a house with the intent to shoot into the house, such as drivebys, or someone walking up to the house and shooting with the sole purpose of shooting whomever was inside.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
HB 5145 - First Degree Murder to Shoot into a house.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
I'm not too familiar with the castle doctrine, but would that protect you from any recourse from a stray bullet in a SD scenario?

Castle doctrine does not protect you from the civil or criminal liabilities involved in a negligent shot (cops are excused though -- go figure).

Offline smallthunder

Re: Re: HB 5145 - First Degree Murder to Shoot into a house.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:11:06 PM »

Castle doctrine does not protect you from the civil or criminal liabilities involved in a negligent shot (cops are excused though -- go figure).

Well then, maybe we should get the Castle doctrine hanged.  Have it state something like ... if you are in your home, shoot in self defense, you are exempt from civil or criminal liabilities.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Re: Re: HB 5145 - First Degree Murder to Shoot into a house.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »
Well then, maybe we should get the Castle doctrine hanged.  Have it state something like ... if you are in your home, shoot in self defense, you are exempt from civil or criminal liabilities.

If you negligently cause harm to another, I believe you should be held liable.  Lesson? don't be negligent.

Offline Greyh Seer

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:39:03 AM »
The problem with laws like this is that it is too easy for a liberal judge to use this kind of law to punish a law abiding citizen.
----------------------------------------
-Greyh

Offline smallthunder

Re: Re: Re: HB 5145 - First Degree Murder to Shoot into a house.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »

If you negligently cause harm to another, I believe you should be held liable.  Lesson? don't be negligent.

I agree, if it's proven you are negligently at fault.  It's easy to say "just don't".  Is this cut and dry or is there a judgment by the prosecutor and/or judge?