Author Topic: how much firearm exposed is needed for OC?  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Caddisman

how much firearm exposed is needed for OC?
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
New to this site have looked through all of the post unable to find just how open carry your firearm must be shown. The only possible way I can imagine to oc in my mind would be to tuck in your shirt to expose the entire gun, now this is awesome in the warmer months but how does one oc in colder months when all most all coats/sweatshirts will partially cover the firearm?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: how much firearm exposed is needed for OC?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:18:49 PM »
The generally accepted standard, lacking any case law, is that it must be holstered on the outside of all clothing.

This is supported by a non-binding Attorney General Opinion: http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10188.htm

In the winter, I wear a waist length jacket and hike it over and behind my pistol. Just like the police do when they put on their jacket.

If weather permits, like a short walk from lot to store, I just leave my jacket in the car and put my sweatshirt behind my pistol.

Inside the waist band is a questionable mode of OC. I know of an individual that was cited for concealed carry with an IWB. He pleaded to a lesser charge rather than try to convince a jury.

It has always been considered concealed if at anytime your jacket covers the pistol in any manner at all.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline northofnowhere

Re: how much firearm exposed is needed for OC?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »
Caddisman,

Pat has given you good advice.  I only wish to add that this is another godo reason to obtain a CPL if you an afford it and qualify.  It shouldn't be needed to excersize your right, it should be easier or at least cheaper to get, but in the end, it does make it easier to carry a firearm, concealed or openly.  But yea, keep the shirt, sweatshirt, and jacket behind the pistol.

-jason r.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher