Author Topic: Michigan pistols  (Read 4707 times)

Offline Hammurabi

Michigan pistols
« on: March 18, 2012, 02:37:49 AM »
This is sort of an OC question, but might be more appropriate elsewhere.

I have a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" barrel and a pistol grip. The overall length is 28.5", making this a pistol per Michigan definition.
I have a Mossberg 500 with a 24" rifled barrel and a fixed stock. The overall length is well past 30", and the firearm is not a Michigan Pistol.
Should I swap the barrels, or stock, neither would have an overall length of less than 30". At this point, would I have two shotguns or a shotgun and a registered Michigan pistol with an overall length greater than 30"? If I swap barrels and stocks, do I have two Michigan pistols or a Michigan pistol which was a shotgun and a shotgun which was a Michigan pistol?

[Removed by TheQ: We don't discuss LGOC here]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:46:08 AM by TheQ »

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Michigan pistols
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:48:11 AM »
This is sort of an OC question, but might be more appropriate elsewhere.

I have a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" barrel and a pistol grip. The overall length is 28.5", making this a pistol per Michigan definition.
I have a Mossberg 500 with a 24" rifled barrel and a fixed stock. The overall length is well past 30", and the firearm is not a Michigan Pistol.
Should I swap the barrels, or stock, neither would have an overall length of less than 30". At this point, would I have two shotguns or a shotgun and a registered Michigan pistol with an overall length greater than 30"? If I swap barrels and stocks, do I have two Michigan pistols or a Michigan pistol which was a shotgun and a shotgun which was a Michigan pistol?

[Removed by TheQ: We don't discuss LGOC here]

If you change the configuration of a firearm, you may (don't know if you must) get the gun "unregistered" as a pistol by contacting the MSP Records division.  Ask them for details on that process.  I don't know the process, but I know someone who has done it before.

About LGOC -- our organization is focused on the lawful Open Carry or a Handgun. As such, we don't discuss LGOC.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:58:20 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:18:19 AM »
The short answer to your question is, no. You would only have one pistol at a time.

However, if you consider swapping stocks and barrels back and forth, both receivers would need to be registered as pistols, unless you want to keep writing letters back and forth to the MSP and submitting paperwork to the local police.

Register them both. You'll have the option then, and be covered, as to which one you want to have in the pistol configuration at any given time.

If your seeking additional information about the lawful possession, transportation, and carry of a registered "Michigan pistol", you can pose you questions on the Michigan Gun Owners forum in the Open Carry section. You'll get the answers your seeking there.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »
Being registered as a pistol doesn't make it a pistol. That's what I'd thought, but calling either a pistol doesn't make much sense to me.

Regarding deregistration, I'll need to look into whether that's mandatory. If so, I'll just avoid putting the longer barrel on the pistol while using the shorter barrel with the fixed stock on the other gun.

Since I need to have the barrel and pistol grip installed for the guns to fall under 30" OAL, there isn't really much point in registering the second as a pistol without another barrel and another pistol grip or folding stock. I just need to make sure to not swap stocks, which won't be an issue.

Regarding LGOC discussion: Fair enough. I probably shouldn't have mention any specific legal purpose.