Author Topic: bike rides?  (Read 6060 times)

Offline alokrip

• First Name (Displayed): Brian
bike rides?
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:05:10 AM »
Poked around a little and didn't see anything but I was wondering about oc w/o cpl on bike rides (pedal bike, not motorized)? Is this legal or would you still have to have a cpl?

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: bike rides?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »
Grey area... Some think OK some not. I personally recons against.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
bike rides?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »
Safest thing in all cases is getting a CPL. Is there a reason that you can't?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline alokrip

• First Name (Displayed): Brian
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »
Only reason I havent gotten it yet is money, times are a little tight.

Offline xj bmx

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »
The way I read it is that the law says you cannot carry in a vehicle without CPL, and since they go by definition of vehicle "A vehicle (from Latin: vehiculum [1] ) is a mobile machine that is designed or used to transport people or cargo. Most often vehicles are manufactured, such as bicycles, cars, motorcycles, trains, ships, boats, and aircraft. "

BUT

There are definitions that say a vehicle is a self propelled object used for transporting people and objects.  So by that definition a bike is not a vehicle since you are propelling it. But I feel the law is going to go with the first haha.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »
The way I read it is that the law says you cannot carry IN a vehicle without CPL, and since they go by definition of vehicle "A vehicle (from Latin: vehiculum [1] ) is a mobile machine that is designed or used to transport people or cargo. Most often vehicles are manufactured, such as bicycles, cars, motorcycles, trains, ships, boats, and aircraft. "

But I go by the definition of the word "in"... How can you or your gun be in a bike?  :-\   ;D
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
bike rides?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
It's a gray area. If somebody would like to be a test case and doesn't mind risking their freedom and several thousand dollars to fight a case, by all means they should go ahead without a CPL.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline DetroitBiker

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »
The way I read it is that the law says you cannot carry IN a vehicle without CPL, and since they go by definition of vehicle "A vehicle (from Latin: vehiculum [1] ) is a mobile machine that is designed or used to transport people or cargo. Most often vehicles are manufactured, such as bicycles, cars, motorcycles, trains, ships, boats, and aircraft. "

But I go by the definition of the word "in"... How can you or your gun be in a bike?  :-\   ;D

Just because YOU go by the definition of the word "in"  does not mean the prosecutor will go by that definition.
It's a slippery slope.. Just be carefull is all im sayin.

;D

Offline Jon Mire

• First Name (Displayed): Joni M.