Author Topic: In a pinch gun locker  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Jon Mire

• First Name (Displayed): Joni M.
In a pinch gun locker
« on: June 04, 2012, 12:15:37 AM »
Continuing some other thoughts/questions i have....

with the thoughts of transport and securing your weapon while on foot.

if you could not enter because of PFZ. would it be legal to lock your gun up in a gun safe with a cable lock through the gunsafe to a lamp post? could you just lock the frame up by its self?

in doing so would allow one to enter and be quick about it is the idea. yes i know this is weird. :P

probably best just to walk away?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
In a pinch gun locker
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 07:20:36 AM »
Leaving your gun in public with nothing but a cable that can be cut with a bolt cutter?

Sounds VERY ill advised.

My best advise? Leave it secured in a safe in the locked trunk of your car or leave it at home.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: In a pinch gun locker
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »
Continuing some other thoughts/questions i have....

with the thoughts of transport and securing your weapon while on foot.

if you could not enter because of PFZ. would it be legal to lock your gun up in a gun safe with a cable lock through the gunsafe to a lamp post? could you just lock the frame up by its self?

in doing so would allow one to enter and be quick about it is the idea. yes i know this is weird. :P

probably best just to walk away?

I am not aware of any statute that prohibits securing your pistol in a gun safe cabled to a lamp post. You may not even need to unload it, since you wouldn't be placing it in a vehicle. This could aid in the prevention of an accidental discharge.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:58:22 AM »

"That was easy"
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:06:45 AM »

"That was easy"

Criminals steal cars with nothing more than a screwdriver. And they can do it faster than we can get out our keys. Does this mean we shouldn't park our cars anywhere? And cars are far more valuable than a gun.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 05:06:50 PM »
 don't even need bolt cutters.  but what my point was is that separation of the gun and leaving only the serial numbered parts there and taking the rest.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »
don't even need bolt cutters.  but what my point was is that separation of the gun and leaving only the serial numbered parts there and taking the rest.

Leave the whole gun. Why risk getting tossed out of a PFZ because you have some firearm parts.

And don't use a hardened steel cable like the one in the video. The other type smash in the jaws of the bolt cutters without cutting. And if wrapped around a tree, the criminals will need a chainsaw to cut the tree down in order to take the little gun vault.

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 05:37:29 PM »
good point on the unhardend steel cable. i would just feel irresponsible leaving a complete gun chilling in a gun locker with the ammo.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 06:02:56 PM »
good point on the unhardend steel cable. i would just feel irresponsible leaving a complete gun chilling in a gun locker with the ammo.

The ammo will probably be a problem for you getting into the PFZ. Best to leave it locked up and cabled around the tree with the gun.

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
ok duely noted