Author Topic: A repentant government official  (Read 4302 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
A repentant government official
« on: April 03, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »
All,

I received an interesting phone call this afternoon on the MOC Hotline.  I wanted to preserve my first hand of the account for posterity.  The caller was a former prosecuting official from a Michigan County prosecutor's office.  He was a member of a gun board.

He stated that a few years ago he was involved with a case where an Open Carrier was called before the gun board.  After hearing his case, the gun board voted to revoke his CPL.  No sooner did he get back to his office, did he realize that he had made a mistake in what he said and how he had voted.  He went to his superiors about it but they told him, "don't speak to anyone about it, we'll take care of it."  He was fairly confident nothing was ever done about it and it's been eating at him ever since.  Recently, he quit his job at the prosecutor's office and he wanted to get in contact with this person.

He seemed genuinely remorseful about the incident.

I told him if I had contact information for that person, I'd be happy to take the caller's email address and phone number and email the message with the contact information to the person.  After we hung up, I looked for the person he was seeking.  Alas, the name he was looking for (a Mr. Westrate) was not in our records.

I wanted to pass this story on to you to show that not all the bureaucrats we deal with are awful people.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TERMINATOR

• TERMINATOR Sport Fishing Charters - Pentwater, MI
  • First Name (Displayed): Freedom Is NOT Free...
Re: A repentant government official
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 04:30:15 PM »
All,

I received an interesting phone call this afternoon on the MOC Hotline.  I wanted to preserve my first hand of the account for posterity.  The caller was a former prosecuting official from a Michigan County prosecutor's office.  He was a member of a gun board.

He stated that a few years ago he was involved with a case where an Open Carrier was called before the gun board.  After hearing his case, the gun board voted to revoke his CPL.  No sooner did he get back to his office, did he realize that he had made a mistake in what he said and how he had voted.  He went to his superiors about it but they told him, "don't speak to anyone about it, we'll take care of it."  He was fairly confident nothing was ever done about it and it's been eating at him ever since.  Recently, he quit his job at the prosecutor's office and he wanted to get in contact with this person.

He seemed genuinely remorseful about the incident.

I told him if I had contact information for that person, I'd be happy to take the caller's email address and phone number and email the message with the contact information to the person.  After we hung up, I looked for the person he was seeking.  Alas, the name he was looking for (a Mr. Westrate) was not in our records.

I wanted to pass this story on to you to show that not all the bureaucrats we deal with are awful people.

Just most of them!  ;)  J/K
Shooting up my addiction to FREEDOM
Life Member NRA
Member GOA
Member MOC

Offline xarmy9

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »
until and unless he goes public with the fact that his office illegally covered up his improper vote and behavior, he is still a dirt bag. There is black and white in this world (not referring to race). Want to make it right, do the right thing.

Offline TERMINATOR

• TERMINATOR Sport Fishing Charters - Pentwater, MI
  • First Name (Displayed): Freedom Is NOT Free...
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »
until and unless he goes public with the fact that his office illegally covered up his improper vote and behavior, he is still a dirt bag. There is black and white in this world (not referring to race). Want to make it right, do the right thing.

Where is the "Like" button???  :D

I agree
Shooting up my addiction to FREEDOM
Life Member NRA
Member GOA
Member MOC

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:52:50 PM »
Q, was this Assistant Prosecutor from a county on the Lake Michigan shoreline? There was a case a few years back...PM me if it was.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
A repentant government official
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
He mentioned the county but it came in 3x1 (as opposed to 5x5). I didn't seek clarification.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).