Author Topic: Sent an Email to "The Tap Room" in Ypsi  (Read 11215 times)

Offline Pyzik

• Not a sheep, a wolf or a sheepdog.
  • S&W M&P9
Sent an Email to "The Tap Room" in Ypsi
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
Zombie Squad is having a get together there and I have always been interested in prepping and putting a zombie spin on it just sounds like good ol' fun!  Plus it would be nice to make some new friends.

They are having it at The Tap Room (Bar) in Ypsilanti.  On their even page it states...
Quote from: Zombie Squad
No Concealed Carry (Bar rules, not ours)

So, here is the email I sent to the bar owner.

Quote from: Me
Brian,

I recently stumbled upon the Zombie Squad group there in Ann Arbor.  I am interested in attending the upcoming even being held at your establishment.
I see on the their event page and concealed carry is forbidden per Tap Room Rules.  It is to my understanding that it is actually against MI law to conceal carry in "An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws " (MCL 750.234d).

However, AG opinion (opinion no. 7097), Michigan State Police and Senator Prusi have stated that a person with a CPL may carry a firearm openly in the exempted areas listed in MCL 750.234d.

This leads me to my question.  May I, as a Concealed Pistol License holder here in the State of Michigan open carry while attending this event at your establishment?

Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing back from you.

--
Pyzik

I have sent a few emails to reps and a couple to establishments before.  I think I am getting better at it.

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
Re: Sent an Email to "The Tap Room" in Ypsi
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »
Well, I can't find the edit button so I had to reply.

I did add hyperlinks to all the MCL and AG opinion in my email.

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 01:44:35 PM »
Well, here is his reply...   :(

Quote from: [email]brian@taproomypsi.com[/email]
Hi. Thanks for your request. I am also a concealed carry permit holder and I understand that permit holders are safer then your average customer. However the liability to allow weapons in the bar is to great so I do not allow them. Thanks

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 02:45:37 PM »
What liability?!?!?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
You know, the one where the responsible gun owner gets drunk and goes on a rampage..

This sounds more like a, I dont trust you to be safe, kind of reply to me.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »
And I do want to point out, just so youre citing correct law in your letters (not bashing you)

28.425o (1)(d) lists you may not carry concealed into an establishment where the primary source of income is by the sale of alcohol by the glass and consumed on the premises. MCLs 436.1101 to 436.2303, with a CPL you may NOT carry concealed into any establishment meeting this definition, this MCL would primarily reflect bars or taverns

MCL 750.234d (1)(h) just lists any established licensed under the Michigan Liquor Control Act MCLs 436.1 to 436.58.   Anyone with a CPL can carry openly or concealed into the establishment meeting this definition, which generally covers someplace like a restaurant, grocery store, or gas station. 

-Private property rules still apply.

Offline TERMINATOR

• TERMINATOR Sport Fishing Charters - Pentwater, MI
  • First Name (Displayed): Freedom Is NOT Free...
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »
You know, the one where the responsible gun owner gets drunk and goes on a rampage..

This sounds more like a, I dont trust you to be safe, kind of reply to me.

The bar owner might not believe that but his liability insurance provider might...just sayin

His liability insurance on the bar probably cost less because he doesn't allow guns inside.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:01:42 AM by TERMINATOR »
Shooting up my addiction to FREEDOM
Life Member NRA
Member GOA
Member MOC

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
And I do want to point out, just so youre citing correct law in your letters (not bashing you)

28.425o (1)(d) lists you may not carry concealed into an establishment where the primary source of income is by the sale of alcohol by the glass and consumed on the premises. MCLs 436.1101 to 436.2303, with a CPL you may NOT carry concealed into any establishment meeting this definition, this MCL would primarily reflect bars or taverns

MCL 750.234d (1)(h) just lists any established licensed under the Michigan Liquor Control Act MCLs 436.1 to 436.58.   Anyone with a CPL can carry openly or concealed into the establishment meeting this definition, which generally covers someplace like a restaurant, grocery store, or gas station. 
-Private property rules still apply.
Yance, thank you for providing that.  I knew there was something stating "the majority of sales from alcohol consumed on premises..." or similar.  Guess I didn't look hard enough.  I will keep it in reference.

The bar owner might not believe that but his liability insurance provider might...just sayin

His liability insurance on the bar probably cost less because he doesn't allow guns inside.
Terminator, I was thinking along the same lines as you for his reasoning.  Insurance.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »
I have doubts about the insurance aspect.

I know of a business owner who's anti sister/partner called and asked their agent about the employees carrying. (All relatives too.) The agent informed them that if they used a firearm in defense of themselves at the place of business, there would be NO liability coverage AT ALL.

Customers, on the other hand, were free to do whatever without any sanctions against the business.

All of the employees had to sign "letters of acknowledgement."

Needless to say, I always OC my stainless1911 (I can't believe I just typed that) into that business for her enjoyment. I love to watch her panties bunch up.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TERMINATOR

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »
I have doubts about the insurance aspect.

I know of a business owner who's anti sister/partner called and asked their agent about the employees carrying. (All relatives too.) The agent informed them that if they used a firearm in defense of themselves at the place of business, there would be NO liability coverage AT ALL.

Customers, on the other hand, were free to do whatever without any sanctions against the business.

All of the employees had to sign "letters of acknowledgement."

Needless to say, I always OC my stainless1911 (I can't believe I just typed that) into that business for her enjoyment. I love to watch her panties bunch up.

LOL ;D
Life Member NRA
Member GOA
Member MOC

Offline Bronson

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
Well, here is his reply...   :(

Quote from: [email]brian@taproomypsi.com[/email]
Hi. Thanks for your request. I am also a concealed carry permit holder and I understand that permit holders are safer then your average customer. However the liability to allow weapons in the bar is to great so I do not allow them. Thanks

That's what happens when you ask first.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
That's what happens when you ask first.

Bronson
Good point.  But neither did I want to get all the way there just to be asked to either leave or stow the weapon, then have everyone in proximity know I just stowed a pistol in the car.
I know I could just leave.  But, this is something I actually want to attend.  So, I guess that's my trade off.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »
Zombie squad -- is that a band?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »
Zombie squad -- is that a band?
It's is an emergency/disaster preparedness group that puts a zombie spin on it to make it fun.
The do public awareness events and fund raisers and things.  They have a chapter in Ann Arbor and I want to see what that are all about.

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »
I really wish therew as an edit button...

http://www.zombiehunters.org/whatiszs.php

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 04:02:23 PM »

There is, for paying members.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TERMINATOR

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »

Q beat me too it!  :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:57:46 PM by TERMINATOR »
Life Member NRA
Member GOA
Member MOC

Offline Bronson

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »

There is but you have to be a paying MOC member.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 12:43:27 AM »

That is a feature you receive with your paid membership. You also gain access to the exclusive "Members Only" section.  ;)

Offline Pyzik

• S&W M&P9
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »
I knew it!  All you want is my money!   ;)

Just kidding.  I know keeping this place up on top of all the work everyone here does takes cash.
I'll see what I can do.  I know $15-20 isn't a lot for some.  But I live on a budget, which means every dollar earned has a purpose before it's spent or goes into savings.  I also want to join MGO again, so I will have to do some allocating in the fallowing weeks.