Author Topic: Lapeer County CPL renewal- not user friendly  (Read 7794 times)

Offline AutumnArcher

Lapeer County CPL renewal- not user friendly
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:19:53 AM »
I went in to the county clerk office to renew my cpl today. What a debacle. I kindly asked the lady at the counter for the forms to renew. She basically threw a CPL application across the counter to me, and said fill this out in a real snotty tone of voice. I looked at it and asked - this is a app for new cpls, Im renewing(first renewal, so its the process is new to me) and said its the same. Ok, no problem, other thatn her tone. I looked it over, and asked, do I have to go get a new photo done too, or do you do that here now? I get a big exaggerated sign of sigust from her, and then the snotty reply- YES you have to get another pic taken, We dont do that here. SO, back to the truck, drive to post office, pay the fee and get my pic taken. (trip home and back to do it myself was 30 miles round trip)

Back to clerks office. Miss Congeniality was with another cpl customer, so I go another clerk this time. She takes my $105, I have to swear an oath that the statements I made on the app are true(even though when you sign it you affirm that they are). She informs me it takes 3-4 months to get the renewal back if approved, may be less. Then they will send me a letter informing me, and if approved I will have to return to the clerks office to get it so it can be signed, and if I want it laminated, I have to pay another fee for that.

What a joke. What other rights must we have to pay a $105 fee for every 5 years, swear an oath to be truthful (wouldnt it be interesting if they made the media do the same forthe 1st amendment LOL ) Its disgusting that it takes that long, and they cant take a pic, have you sign electronically and just mail it to you like a drivers license.

Im considering after I recieve the new CPL to appear in front of the county gun board and lodge a complaint about the totally unecessary delays and beaurocracy. Likely a waste of time, but man this really pissed me off the way the whole process is handled, and the rudeness of the people involved.

One other thing I noticed, there is a sign in the clerks ofice stating they do not process CPL's between 11:30 and 1:30 . This essentially negates the ability for anyone working normal business hours from doing their CPL business on their lunch break, and having to take time off work to do it.

I really hope SB59 goes through, and puts an end to this nonsense.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
Re: Lapeer County CPL renewal- not user friendly
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »
thats a load of crap. someone who hates her job and takes it out on you. see my renewal paranoia post. oakland and livingston county both pretty effortless process. first time getting it in oakland county years ago was a rubiks cube of different desks, forms, buildings, payment methods surely designed to make it inconveinient for the applyer. 'if we have to give you one you're gonna have to work for it' jump thru hoops process. oakland county last time for me was one friendly location and had to bring a passport photo. dropped everything off got fingerprinted and left. one month to the day it was in the mail.
livingston county was one stop, they took photo for $10 more and was out in 20 minutes. got new blue card solid plastic not like the laminated old kind like a costco card. took a little longer to get back to me. hope they dont make you wait unusually long AA.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:13:52 AM »
Interesting that you had to ask so many questions. The packet I received had easy to follow instructions. Maybe there is a need to have a standardize application package as well as procedures. I had to pay at clerk and then get fingerprinted at sheriff's office. The same procedure for my initial application and both of my renewals. Wayne County seems to be the best. The Sheriff and clerk are in the same building in offices right next to each other. Application time to receipt of CPL was 34 days.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:42:46 AM »
     Having every county do it differiently sure makes it hit and miss.  I do not think that gun board can help you with your problem though, I would call and ask who supervises the clerks so you can file an official complaint.  Either your clerk was having a bad day or they hate people who believe in self defense.  On the bright side, it is only once every fie years, chances are you won't ever see the clerk again.

Here in Houghton County I didn't have any issues, and the Sherriff's offices are on the same property so it made it extremely easy.  Other issues I have had to deal with at the clerks offices all went extremely well, ours here seem used to dealing with odd issues that involve a lot of hands on paitence type work.  They were extremely helpful in helping me file divorce papers years back, looking up property records, and walking me through the CPL application process.  You just got a bad seed, same thing happens in every business you might deal with.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher