Author Topic: Holster Questions  (Read 13668 times)

Offline Denistonzp

• First Name (Displayed): Zach
Holster Questions
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
I'm just starting to get into all of this, so bear with me!

I'm looking for a holster to OC my CZ83 in, and I've been looking up holsters at all the big names like Falco Holsters and Crossbreed, those kinds of places. However, I've found out that there are different types of holsters, I.e. "Pancake" Holster, or a belt holster. What are the different kinds of holsters, and which would I want to OC?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Holster Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:50:36 PM »
I have the SafariLand ALS. Investigate that line (google it) and see if they make one for your gun.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline METL

Re: Holster Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
Optics planet used to have a pretty good listing for what fit what, but they seemed to have changed it... sorry...   you may want to try calling optics planet or better yet safariland customer service to see if they even make holsters for CZs

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »
The Safariland website has a holster search feature, but I don't see any CZ83.  75, 85, yes, no 83.

Offline Denistonzp

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »
I guess I might have worded that question wrong, although thank you for the suggestion for Safariland, I think I'm going to look into them.

What I meant was, what's the difference between a "Paddle Holster" and a "Belt Holster" or a "Tactical Holster", I'm so confused on the differences, I don't know which one would be good for me.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 11:18:27 PM »
A paddle holster can be taken on and off without removing your belt.  It is attached to a paddle that goes between your pants and your body.  They also have hooks so they grab on your belt, and sometimes on your pants inside as well.  They slide on easily but not off easily.  They are probably the most comfortable.

In a belt holster, your belt threads through loops, so you have to undo your belt to put the holster on and take it off.

A tactical holster is often something like a drop-leg holster that straps to your thigh.  Think SWAT or the military.

For OC I wear paddle holsters (Safariland and Blackhawk).  For CC I have a Crossbreed.

Offline Denistonzp

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 11:25:43 PM »
A paddle holster can be taken on and off without removing your belt.  It is attached to a paddle that goes between your pants and your body.  They also have hooks so they grab on your belt, and sometimes on your pants inside as well.  They slide on easily but not off easily.  They are probably the most comfortable.

In a belt holster, your belt threads through loops, so you have to undo your belt to put the holster on and take it off.

A tactical holster is often something like a drop-leg holster that straps to your thigh.  Think SWAT or the military.

For OC I wear paddle holsters (Safariland and Blackhawk).  For CC I have a Crossbreed.

Awesome! Thanks much for the information. I'm thinking a paddle holster, as that sounds the most convenient. Is there any pro to having a Tactical or Belt holster Vs the Paddle?

Offline Mando21

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 10:01:31 AM »
You know, I was just wondering recently if a drop-leg holster would be useful for OC during the winter...

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, anytime, and with utter recklessness.

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline METL

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »
I use a paddle and it hoooks aroujnd the bottom of my belt.  I like it a lot and it is secure.

I wouldn't want to use a dropleg...   though anyone can feel free to, especially if they are OCing without CPL in winter...  to make extra sure coat doesnt' cover it.  A lot of people willl think you are a "tactical tommy" wannabe if you have a drop leg...  also the firearm will get noticed a lot more.

Offline Mando21

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »

I wouldn't want to use a dropleg...   though anyone can feel free to, especially if they are OCing without CPL in winter...  to make extra sure coat doesnt' cover it.  A lot of people willl think you are a "tactical tommy" wannabe if you have a drop leg...  also the firearm will get noticed a lot more.

Yes, I certainly see your point and don't want to use a drop-leg holster for the same reasons.  But is there another way you could OC during the winter?  Besides constantly checking your coat, I mean.  I cannot get a CPL until I'm 21, which will be in a little over two years.  And I am certain there are others in the same boat.

The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, anytime, and with utter recklessness.

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Bronson

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »
They are probably the most comfortable.

That's an opinion and one I do not share.  I find paddle holsters to be unduly uncomfortable.  Best for the OP to try out all the different types.  If I want a holster that is easily removable I use a leather holster that has straps that wrap around the belt and snap in place with one-way snaps.

http://www.glocktech.com/reviews/review_images/regulator_G27.JPG

If I'm not concerned with easy removal I normally use a belt slide holster.

http://www.ubgholsters.com/bonneville.jpg

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline gryphon

• Administrator

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »
Not very good retention on these. You wear these OC?

Those are they type I use when I OC in a PFZ. Otherwise, I usually carry mexican. Retention is possible even without a holster if you train for it. I was litteralyy lifted off the ground during training without a holster in a "gun grab" scenario.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 12:02:26 PM »
Not very good retention on these. You wear these OC?

Those are they type I use when I OC in a PFZ. Otherwise, I usually carry mexican. Retention is possible even without a holster if you train for it. I was litteralyy lifted off the ground during training without a holster in a "gun grab" scenario.

OMG !!!!!

You have carried WITHOUT a holster???????

How many people did you kill before you shot yourself?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 12:36:06 PM »
Are you assuming he carries a Glock?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »

OMG !!!!!

You have carried WITHOUT a holster???????

*covers eyes*

Did you mean to say that in purple?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 01:01:13 PM »
Who started this purple crap?!?!?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »
Who started this purple crap?!?!?

Someone on MGO, IIRC.

Offline Glock19

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »
 :o Whats wrong with a GLOCK??? i've carried mine Mexican, (not regularly)  never had a problem.  i use a blackhawk serpa paddle or a bianchi "fbi" type holster for OC it clips over belt (dont gotta take belt off) and leather in-pants for CC. have also worn drop leg (lots of questions while doing so... be prepared to talk if u do so) i prefer my serpa paddle the most, its comfortable secure and doesn't draw lots of attention.

for me it all depends on what im doing that day on how i carry (what holster i will use). recommendations are nice, but may take u trying holsters to find what u prefer.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator