Author Topic: Stopped For Open Carry Last Night  (Read 24031 times)

Offline Sterling

Stopped For Open Carry Last Night
« on: May 20, 2012, 10:59:49 AM »
I was taking a walk downtown in my city last night around 11 p.m. (beautiful night) and had three (L.E.O.) cars pull up on me. It was my second encounter being harassed for open carrying. Only one officer spoke; there were probably around four or five altogether. One came up on my side to point his flashlight on my holster.

Here's the conversation:

L.E.O.: (Turning in front of me, window down) How're you doin'?

Me: Good! How are you?

(At this point, the two other cars swarmed in.)

L.E.O.: Good. Hey are you the guy we talked to before? About open carry?

Me: I'm not answering that.

L.E.O.: Are you a part of any groups or organiz—

He stepped out of his vehicle toward me and I took one giant methodical step back as to communicate that I didn't want any part of being close to him or that I would not consent to a seizure of my property.

I was polite but firm. After it became clear I wasn't interested in a conversation, he started trying to lecture me about being uncooperative and how I "have their attention now" and that he was "sure we'd run into [me] again."

I stood silent and let him speak. I wasn't going to counter any of his arguments. I spent most of the lecture looking around at the other officers and their vehicles. When he was finished, he said, "Have a nice night" or something similar. I replied, "Thank you, you too." and just continued walking.

He was clearly upset that I didn't want to talk and seemed to take my responses personally, which disappoints me as a tax-payer and leads me to question his professionalism. I also found it ironic that he claimed I wanted attention when I really just wanted to be left alone. I have no idea why L.E.O.s tend to focus so intently on the wrong things.

I do remain thankful, however, that everyone there understood open carry and that it wasn't a crime. Small victories, I suppose.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
Re: Stopped For Open Carry Last Night
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »
Downtown where? Did you have a recorder? If not, run out & get one NOW. Sounds like some small minds with a big agenda, looking to jam you up. You handled it well, but protect yourself.

Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »
I was taking a walk downtown in my city last night around 11 p.m. (beautiful night) and had three (L.E.O.) cars pull up on me. It was my second encounter being harassed for open carrying. Only one officer spoke; there were probably around four or five altogether. One came up on my side to point his flashlight on my holster.

Here's the conversation:

L.E.O.: (Turning in front of me, window down) How're you doin'?

Me: Good! How are you?

(At this point, the two other cars swarmed in.)

L.E.O.: Good. Hey are you the guy we talked to before? About open carry?

L.E.O.: Are you a part of any groups or organiz—

He stepped out of his vehicle toward me and I took one giant methodical step back as to communicate that I didn't want any part of being close to him or that I would not consent to a seizure of my property.

I was polite but firm. After it became clear I wasn't interested in a conversation, he started trying to lecture me about being uncooperative and how I "have their attention now" and that he was "sure we'd run into [me] again."

I stood silent and let him speak. I wasn't going to counter any of his arguments. I spent most of the lecture looking around at the other officers and their vehicles. When he was finished, he said, "Have a nice night" or something similar. I replied, "Thank you, you too." and just continued walking.

He was clearly upset that I didn't want to talk and seemed to take my responses personally, which disappoints me as a tax-payer and leads me to question his professionalism. I also found it ironic that he claimed I wanted attention when I really just wanted to be left alone. I have no idea why L.E.O.s tend to focus so intently on the wrong things.

I do remain thankful, however, that everyone there understood open carry and that it wasn't a crime. Small victories, I suppose.

^^^THIS^^^ is how to do it. Saying nothing at all, immediately after informing them that you do not want to answer any questions.

Take note of this Brainless1911.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Bronson

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »
I took one giant methodical step back as to  communicate that I didn't want any part of being close to him or that I would not consent to a seizure of my property.

Did you actually say you wouldn't consent to search or seizure?  Because if you didn't say it, it wasn't communicated.  At least that's what they would say in court.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Sterling

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »
I did not. Of course if he would have asked or if he would have started to reach I would have said it right away.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
I did not. Of course if he would have asked or if he would have started to reach I would have said it right away.

Where?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Stopped For Open Carry Last Night
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »
Did you ask if you were being detained? If not, we're there any indications you were being detained? (flashing lights -- etc)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Sterling

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
I knew I wasn't being detained. It was merely a citizen contact and it all lasted about a minute. I'm lucky enough to live in an area where the force knows that it's legal. It's just unfortunate that when they see someone open carrying, they don't just wave and pass on by.

I've been a regular reader of the forums here now for about a year and a half and due to my line of work, I'm well aware of all of my rights, legal procedures, etc.

Offline Sterling

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 01:04:59 PM »
To be more clear: no flashing lights. Three cars in a commercial (not busy at all) intersection. A few officers standing around me, one in front of me talking, and some in their vehicles.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 01:57:54 PM »
Where?

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 07:06:13 AM »
Can you give the name of the city that this encounter happened? Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline T Mack

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 05:39:04 PM »
Good stuff!!  Carry on! !

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »
Where did this happen OP? General location and department please so that our members in your local may assist you in dealing with this department that has so much free time!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:03:47 AM by autosurgeon »
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Sterling

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »
As a new poster here, I'd like to thank all of the users who replied to this thread with supportive comments. I do remain, however, deeply, deeply disappointed with some of the replies accusing me of being a 'rat', a liar, and anti-open carry.

Open carry forums should be a place where fellow open carriers should feel safe, and where new, potential members should feel welcomed and valued. Sadly, the opposite has happened here.

I received an e-mail message from a moderator requesting that I disclose my location. I do not wish to do so, and no such rule requires me to do so. That decision should be left to me alone. I replied to the moderator, and I also sent a Facebook message to TheQ -- we happen to be Facebook friends -- expressing my disappointment. It's unfortunate that with everything my encounter entailed, the non-disclosure of the specific location was what was focused on.

Until I can be reassured that this forum is a safe place for participants and that new, potential Michigan Open Carry members are welcomed and valued, I must limit my participation to visiting only. I hope that in the future, that will change.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 05:58:13 PM »
It wouldn't be the internet without a bit of public drama, would it?

For those interested in my exact location, it can be found here.

*shrugs*.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »
As a new poster here, I'd like to thank all of the users who replied to this thread with supportive comments. I do remain, however, deeply, deeply disappointed with some of the replies accusing me of being a 'rat', a liar, and anti-open carry.

Open carry forums should be a place where fellow open carriers should feel safe, and where new, potential members should feel welcomed and valued. Sadly, the opposite has happened here.

I received an e-mail message from a moderator requesting that I disclose my location. I do not wish to do so, and no such rule requires me to do so. That decision should be left to me alone. I replied to the moderator, and I also sent a Facebook message to TheQ -- we happen to be Facebook friends -- expressing my disappointment. It's unfortunate that with everything my encounter entailed, the non-disclosure of the specific location was what was focused on.

Until I can be reassured that this forum is a safe place for participants and that new, potential Michigan Open Carry members are welcomed and valued, I must limit my participation to visiting only. I hope that in the future, that will change.

You don't think it is "safe" here? How is it unsafe?

The non-disclosure of the location was focused on because many MOC members could be at risk.

Yours is the first time that I have ever seen someone post about such an encounter as yours without including the location so as to alert others.

Just what was the purpose of your post in the first place?

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »

We weren't looking for your address; we were looking for the city.

Oh, well, buhbye!
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »
replies accusing me of being a 'rat', a liar, and anti-open carry.
I'm confused. I don't see any posts accusing you of being a rat, a liar, or against OC. I think you did a good job, although it would be nice to know what town you live in.  But that's up to you.  :)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »
I'm confused. I don't see any posts accusing you of being a rat, a liar, or against OC. I think you did a good job, although it would be nice to know what town you live in.  But that's up to you.  :)

They must have been super secret posts that only the OP could see.

Agree that it appears that he handled things well. I'd like to know where so that I could be prepared.

Yep that's up to him.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »

They must have been super secret posts that only the OP could see.

Or posts that have been deleted.