Author Topic: Bowling Alley  (Read 6571 times)

Offline springfield40xdm

Bowling Alley
« on: May 26, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »
I have not been able to find anything CCing in a bowling alley.  They do have a bar attached and the do serve alcohol.  I am only asking cause some of my family members are still trying to get used to the open carry.  So I am not sure if I can conceal in the bowling alley as long as I stay out of the bar part or if it would count under the bar rules.  Thanks for the feed back.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Bowling Alley
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 07:37:51 PM »
I would say that you are fine to concealed carry the bowling alley as long as you stay out of the bar area. The bowling alley's primary source of income isn't on the hall, it's bowling!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline springfield40xdm

Re: Bowling Alley
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 07:42:05 PM »
Okay, thanks for the feedback Q.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Bowling Alley
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 08:12:47 PM »
Just my $.02. IANAL nor a bowling alley owner. Maybe booze is their primary source...?

Offline Jcas

• The Second Amendment is the Equal Rights Amendment
  • First Name (Displayed): Jcas
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 09:24:46 PM »
I'd suggest you call and speak with a manager. I sit on the board of directors for the Bowling Centers Association of S.E. Michigan and in brief conversations with a few owners, most of them have CPL's and have no problem! the biggest challenge is having the employees and customers educated with MI law.

Also, as a business/marketing director for Sunnybrook Golf * Bowl * Motel in Sterling Heights, I can tell you we honor individual's 2nd amendment rights (OC and/or Concelled) in the past we've had many NRA CPL classes, and a few months back John Roshek from Citizens League for Self-Defense held his bowling fundraiser at Sunnybrook to help raise funds for this months rally in Lansing. 

Important:
A lot of bowling centers also have charity poker rooms ran by a separate company due to state laws, most are on the main floor (Sunnybrook's is on the 2nd floor) so I'd also suggest you check about OC or concealed in the bowling centers poker rooms? If anyone can give me some insight on this I'd appreciate it as I've been unable to get 100% clarification?

My number at Sunnybrook is (586) 264-2700 Ext: 515 or e-mail john@sunnybrookgolfandbowl.com
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under" --Ronald Reagan

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Bowling Alley
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 10:29:33 PM »
^^^^ His advice on the matter is probably better than mine.^^^^

I considered him the expert given what he has just said... Even if it is his first post(welcome)

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »
Thanks for the advice Jacs,  I will definitely try and talk with the manager.

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »
Sorry, auto correct.  Jcas

Offline Jcas

• The Second Amendment is the Equal Rights Amendment
  • First Name (Displayed): Jcas
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 02:26:46 PM »
No problem, I know Jerry from Bowl-E-Drome in Howell is a great guy.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under" --Ronald Reagan

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »
Since the Bowling alley and the bar inside are one business(with one business license and one liquor license, staying out of the bar area is useless.

If the entire business does not derive the majority of its income from alcohol sales to be consumed by the glass, you can legally CC anywhere in the place. Obviously if the opposite is true, CC anywhere in the bowling alley would be illegal since it would meet the legal definition of a bar in 28.425o

Can you CC in an Applebees? Sure. Can you CC in the bar area of an Applebees? Of course. It is one business, the fact they have two distinct areas in the business is of no consequence. Same with fill in the blank restaurant (Olive Garden, BW3's, Dave and Busters the list goes on and on..all have bar areas).

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
My understanding would be that a bowling alley would fall under MCL 750.234d as an "establishment licensed by the Michigan Liquor Control Commission" not MCL 28.425o where their "primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic beverages by the glass to be consumed on the premises".   Unless youre city has no bars and some very heavy drinkers, the bowling alley is just that, there for bowling, the bar is just there for those who would like to drink, its very much the situation Scot623 stated.

Though its never a bad idea to call and talk to the manager if you have any doubts.

And dont be afraid to ask a lawyer, they get paid for that sort of thing.