Author Topic: Local Gun Shop Research Question. Feedback Appreciated.  (Read 6433 times)

Offline T3000

Local Gun Shop Research Question. Feedback Appreciated.
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:42:04 AM »
I am doing some market research on gun shops/indoor ranges/training facilities.

My question is...For those who have patronized a local shop, indoor range, or have taken some sort of training course, what aspects of your experience did you really like and/or dislike? (for example, range time prices, extraordinary customer service, layaway policy, prices, FFL transfer costs, unique training method, etc.).

Thank you for taking the time to respond. All responses are greatly appreciated.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Local Gun Shop Research Question. Feedback Appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 06:51:32 AM »
Range officer was an arrogant, inpersonable d*ck.

...I didn't like that ;)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Bronson

Re: Local Gun Shop Research Question. Feedback Appreciated.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »
Do you want the name of the shops or just what we liked?

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
Would like a little more time for my money at a indoor range.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:34:52 AM »

...I didn't like that ;)
+1

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »
In order of importance / preference-

Must have-
1) Adequate numbers of knowledgeable staff
2) Professional, courteous service
3) Selection (esp used firearms)
4) Pricing visible / readable
5) Reloading supplies/equipment

Nice to have-
Affordable indoor range
Keep the long guns (esp used) out from behind the counter, unless extremely valuable. If you must put them on a leash, make sure its long enough for a customer to shoulder the firearm.

Regarding classes; other than CPL classes, I don't see how any firearms training wouldn't be better at an actual range.

Deal breakers- if I have to ask a price too often, because its obscured, too small print, too far away.

Rylee's is the worst set up store. Al & Bob's not far behind.
Bob's in Hastings has too short leashes.
Gander is better, On Target is great.

Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »
+1

Well, Rick rhymes with d....

I think we're both thinking of the same place :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:54:08 PM by TheQ »

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 08:40:40 PM »
Above all, don't do what i just saw happen at D&R Sports in Kalamazoo-

Young fellow came in to pick up a firearm. What he didn't know was that they would be closing shortly. (what gun shop closes at 6:00 PM? Don't their customers have day jobs? or, is business that good?)

The lady behind the counter started with a litany of excuses as to why she couldn't take care of him; 'Oh, we close in 5 minutes', 'We gotta call the ATF', 'We won't be able to do all the paperwork' and so on. I couldn't help myself- I asked her if she was going to blow off a paying customer just because it was close to closing time, and indicated that if that was the level of customer service I could expect, I'll go elsewhere.

And, I did. Bob's in Hastings was happy to take my money, even if it was close to closing time.

And that, folks, is why I do business with Bob's.

Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline T3000

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 05:25:17 PM »
Do you want the name of the shops or just what we liked?

Bronson

If you would like to drop names that could be helpful if I visit the shop myself I would be able to confirm statements.

Offline T3000

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »
Would like a little more time for my money at a indoor range.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

What do you normally pay now? and for how much time? Also, what would be a reasonable cost / time in your opinion?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »

...I didn't like that ;)

This is in RE Total Firearms in Holt.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 11:33:27 PM »
I like different places for different things.

I like On Target in Kalamazoo for their large selection, especially of used firearms.   They also have a great lay-away policy.  6 months with no minimum monthly payment and you can transfer your lay-away to a different item with no penalty.  That last part is a great service.  I've put many things on lay-away there over the years that I might not have normally put money on because I knew I could just trickle money at it and change it later if something better came along.

I like Freedom Firearms in Battle Creek for their clean well layed out facility, friendly, knowledgable, & helpful staff, and their no-range-officer indoor range (the only one in the area).  They also have a great selection of rental pistols which is nice and a Gun of The Month Club where you pay a yearly fee and can shoot a different featured gun each month.  They are the go-to place here in B.C. for CPL training.  They've put together a good course and they allow their students to do their range time a little at a time so you don't have to do the entire three hours all at once.  The owner's are also staunch supporters of all aspects of gun owner's rights.

Smitty's Sport Shop in Battle Creek is near my house and has $25.00 transfers.

Bullets and Barrels in Richland is a newer small shop.  They seem like nice folks and are always friendly and helpful when I go in there.  They too have a six month lay-away (I have something there right now).

---------

The "bad":

On Target is a big place and they are often understaffed, especially if you go in on a weekend.  You can wait for a long time to get any help.  I know several people, especially new shooters, who find On Target intimidating because they have sooo much stuff and it's not very well organized.  They will not do transfers unless it is something that they cannot get for you.

Freedom Firearms prices are a little higher than some other places.  The last time I asked they charged $50.00 to do a transfer.

Smitty's is a small place and the guy I dealt with wasn't very knowledgeable (he had never seen an RI-60 form and I had to convince him that it needed to be filled out so I could register the gun).

D & R Sports in Kalamazoo has very short hours (close at 6:00) and they haven't gotten any of my money since the time I went in there with my girlfriend and the guy behind the counter refused to listen to what she wanted and just told her "here, this is the one you want."

Gander Mountain in Kalamazoo, we had the same experience as at D & R, and their prices are really high.  Their "gunsmith" several years ago was also a joke.

Some of the things I've mentioned won't matter to some people and for others they could be deal breakers.  For example, the clutteredness of On Target doesn't bother me because I can sometimes find some neat stuff tucked away while a friend I took out there hated it because she said it felt like a flea market to her...different strokes.

Bronson

Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine