Author Topic: How good are your locks? locksmithing reality hurts.  (Read 6416 times)

Offline Jon Mire

• First Name (Displayed): Joni M.
How good are your locks? locksmithing reality hurts.
« on: June 04, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »
I have heard from more than one OC person "ehhh just unload it and throw it in the trunk." I decided to write this as a notation to how unsafe that makes me feel as a gun owner. The more likelihood that i will be in a gun fight increases with that statement.

WARNING: highly opinionated statements backed with video ...... some may have been tested at home....... this is all public knowledge that can found at your local library!

bullets are everywhere and guns are not. Our government has made it this way by design. its our responsibility to keep those firearms in the right hands. think Walmart sports section, how many Walmarts there are and how many have hand gun ammo yet no real guns. i know my local bitty Walmart has everything one would need except the firearm.

i never have liked the idea of leaving a firearm unattended even at home unless in an inground fiber reinforced cement vault with a steel lining. something a back hoe would have to take out.  the best place for your firearm to be is in your possesion to protect you and keep it from others. especially in some random parking lot..... pffft that's asking for someone to steal and go commit a crime with your carelessness. no lock is secure at all with the advent of the internet. it only slows them down by a couple minutes... if that.

even 11 yr old kids watch youtube and make these vibrating lock picks out of tooth brushes that can open master lock!

-tumbler type locks are hard! lol!
  current technology
  original style
  for the cheap thief   yeah it took nine minutes. but that only nine    minutes to get into your house and those picks work on your gun safe too!

-pin locks easy but take more time
  manually
  maunal 7 pin   nice tool! very good dremel work!
 7pin
 10pin

for those that think "i'll just add a padlock"

-shackle combo locks what locksmith use but a theres are steel version
                                    for those that are mechanically inclined.
                                    the geeky way takes a total of ten minutes. but as an after thought you could
                                                                                                             get you numbers and come back later.

these locks are a huuuuge vulnerability! i found out with a $200 leather jacket in high school when it came up missing even with a cop patrolling our hallways. this was 20 years ago some people i knew told me about how vulnerable they were but would never say how. now i know!

-cheap fire safe darn pennies are laying everywhere these days.
                          notice he just entered a factory master code. these are available on
                                                                                                                                 the internet.

-masterlock

-Home Locks bump keys are probably the fastest way sadly.

-my favorite entertainment Cars! Yes there are great but are only made to go down the road. not be your mobile gun safe.

i have done this since i was a kid. mom always was forgetting her keys. works on a 66' chevy bel air     on up to the electronic age and then it got easier!

How to Open a Locked Car with the Big Easy Car Unlocking Tool the tow truck companies use this method. this would be a fancy version.
   non fancy version. i like that they say "30 sec every time" they are not kidding!

probly the fastest way especially if in an Home depot parking lot! :D your firearm(s) would be gone in under a minute. see above videos.  :o

look around you.... how many people have laces in there shoes?  :/ btw just learned this method today but video has been around since 2008 and 1.2 million people know how to do this. many more know what a slip knot is. see above for 'band' version' you know a tote lid and sandpaper?!?!? yes its most likely real as it is a concept supported by a patented device.

this kid explains that the car is its own tool kit! :o whaaa!?!?

or they could just take the whole car with the above tools. :o

a basic how too on nationwide tv for no mater what car it would be.
 but that is too hard, they would hold you up with your own gun and use your keys! now that would be embarrassing.  ;)

but these days all it really takes is a stick and a door wedge to get a car open. dang electronic locks saved my bacon a few times after paying $50 to a tow truck company and learning how they do it after locking my keys in the car with it running mind you. took less than 3 minutes too open the doors and get to the trunk includeing paperwork. and that electronic trunk pop is pretty handy too for both you and the thief! so umm yeah, just trying to be a responsible gun owner with the knowledge at hand.

now on a positive note......

this guy is right when it comes to custom safes. yes stainless is hard to cut as i have found out from being a blacksmith. but its is possible. most torches and such are rated for 3/16" - 1/4"steel. i would consider a 1" plate stainless steel through the whole of the safe and certified welded to be pretty sufficient. your local locksmith will be able to install the locking mechanization. this style is a safe that would allow unlikely for mechanical bypassing ie crow bar and hammer style. or just useing a hatchet to cut through sheet metal.

but there is the outsmarting a safe....
  this is the method they used in the movie in The Italian Job. good movie! if your smart it works.

a combo lock works on the same principal since the civil war. digital or mechanical.

this is a new york bar i believe. it is a very good method. but in this video its funny watching her put a bar in an all glass door. lol

well i have said enough. i claim no liability what you do with this information. I am not responsible for what you do with this information. this is meant as informational purposes only to protect yourself and those around you.

what do you think?
-jon

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: How good are your locks? locksmithing reality hurts.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »
I have heard from more than one OC person "ehhh just unload it and throw it in the trunk." I decided to write this as a notation to how unsafe that makes me feel as a gun owner. The more likelihood that i will be in a gun fight increases with that statement.

WARNING: highly opinionated statements backed with video ...... some may have been tested at home....... this is all public knowledge that can found at your local library!

bullets are everywhere and guns are not. Our government has made it this way by design. its our responsibility to keep those firearms in the right hands. think Walmart sports section, how many Walmarts there are and how many have hand gun ammo yet no real guns. i know my local bitty Walmart has everything one would need except the firearm.

i never have liked the idea of leaving a firearm unattended even at home unless in an inground fiber reinforced cement vault with a steel lining. something a back hoe would have to take out.  the best place for your firearm to be is in your possesion to protect you and keep it from others. especially in some random parking lot..... pffft that's asking for someone to steal and go commit a crime with your carelessness. no lock is secure at all with the advent of the internet. it only slows them down by a couple minutes... if that.

even 11 yr old kids watch youtube and make these vibrating lock picks out of tooth brushes that can open master lock!

-tumbler type locks are hard! lol!
  current technology
  original style
  for the cheap thief   yeah it took nine minutes. but that only nine    minutes to get into your house and those picks work on your gun safe too!

-pin locks easy but take more time
  manually
  maunal 7 pin   nice tool! very good dremel work!
 7pin
 10pin

for those that think "i'll just add a padlock"

-shackle combo locks what locksmith use but a theres are steel version
                                    for those that are mechanically inclined.
                                    the geeky way takes a total of ten minutes. but as an after thought you could
                                                                                                             get you numbers and come back later.

these locks are a huuuuge vulnerability! i found out with a $200 leather jacket in high school when it came up missing even with a cop patrolling our hallways. this was 20 years ago some people i knew told me about how vulnerable they were but would never say how. now i know!

-cheap fire safe darn pennies are laying everywhere these days.
                          notice he just entered a factory master code. these are available on
                                                                                                                                 the internet.

-masterlock

-Home Locks bump keys are probably the fastest way sadly.

-my favorite entertainment Cars! Yes there are great but are only made to go down the road. not be your mobile gun safe.

i have done this since i was a kid. mom always was forgetting her keys. works on a 66' chevy bel air     on up to the electronic age and then it got easier!

How to Open a Locked Car with the Big Easy Car Unlocking Tool the tow truck companies use this method. this would be a fancy version.
   non fancy version. i like that they say "30 sec every time" they are not kidding!

probly the fastest way especially if in an Home depot parking lot! :D your firearm(s) would be gone in under a minute. see above videos.  :o

look around you.... how many people have laces in there shoes?  :/ btw just learned this method today but video has been around since 2008 and 1.2 million people know how to do this. many more know what a slip knot is. see above for 'band' version' you know a tote lid and sandpaper?!?!? yes its most likely real as it is a concept supported by a patented device.

this kid explains that the car is its own tool kit! :o whaaa!?!?

or they could just take the whole car with the above tools. :o

a basic how too on nationwide tv for no mater what car it would be.
 but that is too hard, they would hold you up with your own gun and use your keys! now that would be embarrassing.  ;)

but these days all it really takes is a stick and a door wedge to get a car open. dang electronic locks saved my bacon a few times after paying $50 to a tow truck company and learning how they do it after locking my keys in the car with it running mind you. took less than 3 minutes too open the doors and get to the trunk includeing paperwork. and that electronic trunk pop is pretty handy too for both you and the thief! so umm yeah, just trying to be a responsible gun owner with the knowledge at hand.

now on a positive note......

this guy is right when it comes to custom safes. yes stainless is hard to cut as i have found out from being a blacksmith. but its is possible. most torches and such are rated for 3/16" - 1/4"steel. i would consider a 1" plate stainless steel through the whole of the safe and certified welded to be pretty sufficient. your local locksmith will be able to install the locking mechanization. this style is a safe that would allow unlikely for mechanical bypassing ie crow bar and hammer style. or just useing a hatchet to cut through sheet metal.

but there is the outsmarting a safe....
  this is the method they used in the movie in The Italian Job. good movie! if your smart it works.

a combo lock works on the same principal since the civil war. digital or mechanical.

this is a new york bar i believe. it is a very good method. but in this video its funny watching her put a bar in an all glass door. lol

well i have said enough. i claim no liability what you do with this information. I am not responsible for what you do with this information. this is meant as informational purposes only to protect yourself and those around you.

what do you think?
-jon

Those videos were done with trick photography. I've never seen a real lock picked that fast.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »
Get the "Abloy Puck" and call it a day.

Personally, my security needs aren't that tight -- but maybe yours are?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »
Personally, my security needs aren't that tight -- but maybe yours are?

just seen and met alot of crazy people in my day and know what they are capable of because i watched it with my own 2 eyes. many times my jaw dropped at the audacity. Which is probably why i have so many questions/concerns.

looks good!

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »

What good is a lock like that with a chain, cable or tree that can be overcome with ease?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
Those videos were done with trick photography. I've never seen a real lock picked that fast.

my first try ever, on my kwikset front door lock, it took me fifteen minutes. I tried it was just to see how vulnerable i was and had an OFMG moment. needless to say i never trusted cheap locks after that. Which lead me to understand that locks only buy you time. and shortly there after heard the saying "locks are for honest people" is so true. a majority of what we use everyday can be broken with what one has in there pocket.

these teenagers are doing as a 'hobby' when they are bored.... i am sure they have alot of practice.

the vibratory toothbrushes are the same as a common vibratory locksmith tool that requires a locksmith license. don't believe me those links are just a start. it is insane how smart kids are and what they learn how to do. but yeah after research and talking to a few locksmiths they said basically yeah it goes that fast.  :'( if i wanted to buy a lock that is not vulnerable to such things i needed several hundred dollars to pay out.

well now i am a proud gun owner :D

Offline Bronson

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 01:52:32 AM »
There is no security from a thief that has the tools and the time to defeat your security measures.  Hell, even with great locks and bars on the windows any punk with a $50 reciprocating saw could cut his way into a house right through the wall.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 01:55:38 AM »
I like my dremel tool. I've yet to find a piece of metal a carbon disc and 5,000 RPM couldn't destroy.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jon Mire

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 02:33:28 AM »
so true guys. well maybe i should have named this kwiky locks that get you killed or stuff stolen.

Offline DrScaryGuy

• Ironically named
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »
My experience -

Master brand trigger locks CAN be opened in a few seconds with two paper clips - I did it when I forgot a few locks' keys during a trip to the shooting range.

Regular office drawer/cabinet type locks (same as cheap sheet metal gun safe locks) are pretty much the same lock as the master trigger locks and can also be opened in a few seconds - i used to do it all the time.

padlocks - I've never used shims on them, but I've used shimmed a few doors and the theory is sound as far as I can tell.  I have also been able to pop a hole in the back of padlocks and WATCH for the dial to hit the right points as I turn it.

Car doors - slim jimming isn't too hard on a lot of cars, (my dad locked himself out once and I showed up and jimmied open his door before the locksmith had even left the shop).  Also, a lot of auto manufacturers have VERY loose door locks to the point that they only have like 6 different locks - which is why if you walk around to other cars you can probably open a bunch with the key to your own car.  Ignition is better, but the doors are a joke.

House doors - I've raked a few open, and it only took me about 5 minutes to make a bump key that I was able to make work on a few different doors.

Gun cable locks - I have used keys from one lock to open locks from a "different" brand a few times.  sometimes I just turned extra hard with a key that didn't work and the tumblers were close enough to pop in to place and open.

Long story short- there are no perfect locks.  They are just deterrents, and some are better than others.  I put kwikset smartkey locks on my house because they seem to be some of the more difficult to open while remaining affordable, but it's not hard to kick most doors out of the frame if you try hard enough (a half inch of wood held by 2 screws is all that keeps most deadbolts in the frame) .  You can not stop a determined thief that knows their trade, but you can deter the lazy ones who don't.

Offline Nav0341

• First Name (Displayed): Jeff
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »
My CPL Instructor was retired Sheriff's Dpt / SWAT. One thing he was very adamant about was "you can't keep humans out, if humans made it, they can break into it as well." Some of the scenarios that he gave were no where near "unbelievable" but more like the "...." moments. What was really amazing to me was how basic the tools were that were used.