Author Topic: Senate Bill 761: Lower pistol length definition to 26 inches  (Read 12013 times)

Offline Master Control

• MOC Charter Member Augusta, MI.
Senate Bill 761: Lower pistol length definition to 26 inches
Passed 109 to 0 in the House on May 31, 2012, to change the law defining any firearm less than 30 inches in length as a “pistol,” making this 26 inches. Some rifles with folding stocks are less than 30 inches, and so under Michigan law are technically subject to the same purchase and other restrictions as pistols.
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
,,, So Mote Be

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Senate Bill 761: Lower pistol length definition to 26 inches
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:15:12 AM »
More legislation that takes away and gives nothing.

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:53:06 PM »

And a bunch of so called gun rights people are all for it.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:13:13 PM »

Just like all the pro gun people that helped shoot down SB59.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 11:27:47 PM »

Just like all the pro gun people that helped shoot down SB59.

That just proves the old saying is true, "You can't fix stupid."

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:43:27 AM »

That just proves the old saying is true, "You can't fix stupid."

He sure proved that.

Offline Eliteedge_7

• True Elite Motorsports Club
  • First Name (Displayed): Justin
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 05:11:23 AM »
I guess I have to get my mossberge 500 cruiser before January....

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:52:08 AM »

Before January 2012.

Offline METL

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »

Before January 2012.

Seems as though there are TWO laws in play here, am I incorrect?   I just read about one that they're trying for that will go into effect in 2013...   was that a misprint?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:01:08 AM »
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billengrossed/Senate/pdf/2011-SEBS-0761.pdf

<<(2) A PERSON WHO, BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2012, LAWFULLY OWNED,
POSSESSED, CARRIED, OR TRANSPORTED A FIREARM 30 INCHES OR LESS IN
LENGTH AS A PISTOL PURSUANT TO A LICENSE ISSUED UNDER SECTION 2
OR 5B OR PURSUANT TO AN EXEMPTION UNDER SECTION 2 OR 5B MAY
CONTINUE TO LAWFULLY OWN, POSSESS, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT THAT
FIREARM AS A PISTOL AFTER JANUARY 1, 2012 PURSUANT TO THAT LICENSE
OR ANY RENEWAL OF THAT LICENSE OR PURSUANT TO THAT EXEMPTION.>>

Offline Bronson

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 01:43:56 PM »
The MI Senate passed their version on 12-13-2011 with the "grandfather" date being Jan. 2012.  The MI House didn't pass their version until 5-31-12 with a "grandfather" date of Jan. 2013.  The Senate version goes back to the Senate for amemdments so that the language agrees before being put on the Governor's desk.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billengrossed/Senate/htm/2011-SEBH-0761.htm

[(2) A PERSON WHO, BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2013, LAWFULLY OWNED A FIREARM GREATER THAN 26 INCHES IN LENGTH AND CARRIED THAT FIREARM AS A PISTOL, MAY CONTINUE TO LAWFULLY OWN, POSSESS, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT THAT FIREARM AS A PISTOL AFTER JANUARY 1, 2013 IF HE OR SHE IS IN POSSESSION OF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

(A) A COPY OF THE LICENSE OR RECORD ISSUED UNDER SECTION 2 OR 2A FOR THAT FIREARM, IF THE FIREARM WAS REGISTERED AS A PISTOL UNDER SECTIONS 2 OR 2A.

(B) FOR A FIREARM PURCHASED OUT OF STATE, A SALES RECEIPT OR PROOF OF PURCHASE THAT INDICATES THE MAKE, MODEL, AND SERIAL NUMBER OF A FIREARM, AND A PURCHASE DATE PRIOR TO JANUARY 1, 2013.

(C) AN AFFIDAVIT ISSUED BY A STATE OR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THIS OR ANY OTHER STATE STATING THAT THE FIREARM WAS LAWFULLY OWNED AND CARRIED AS A PISTOL BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2013.]

Try to keep up.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Senate Bill 761: Lower pistol length definition to 26 inches
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 02:01:42 PM »
Maybe I should buy that Mossberg 500 before the year is up...if this bill gets signed.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Bronson

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
This just posted by spartywrx on MGO:

The House has asked the Senate that SB 760, 761 to be returned to the House.

I have no clue what that means but I just watched it happen on the House floor.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 03:04:15 PM »
The MI Senate passed their version on 12-13-2011 with the "grandfather" date being Jan. 2012.  The MI House didn't pass their version until 5-31-12 with a "grandfather" date of Jan. 2013.  The Senate version goes back to the Senate for amemdments so that the language agrees before being put on the Governor's desk.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billengrossed/Senate/htm/2011-SEBH-0761.htm

[(2) A PERSON WHO, BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2013, LAWFULLY OWNED A FIREARM GREATER THAN 26 INCHES IN LENGTH AND CARRIED THAT FIREARM AS A PISTOL, MAY CONTINUE TO LAWFULLY OWN, POSSESS, CARRY, OR TRANSPORT THAT FIREARM AS A PISTOL AFTER JANUARY 1, 2013 IF HE OR SHE IS IN POSSESSION OF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

(A) A COPY OF THE LICENSE OR RECORD ISSUED UNDER SECTION 2 OR 2A FOR THAT FIREARM, IF THE FIREARM WAS REGISTERED AS A PISTOL UNDER SECTIONS 2 OR 2A.

(B) FOR A FIREARM PURCHASED OUT OF STATE, A SALES RECEIPT OR PROOF OF PURCHASE THAT INDICATES THE MAKE, MODEL, AND SERIAL NUMBER OF A FIREARM, AND A PURCHASE DATE PRIOR TO JANUARY 1, 2013.

(C) AN AFFIDAVIT ISSUED BY A STATE OR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THIS OR ANY OTHER STATE STATING THAT THE FIREARM WAS LAWFULLY OWNED AND CARRIED AS A PISTOL BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2013.]

Try to keep up.

Bronson

I am keeping up. My post was copied and pasted right from the link provided from the Michigan Legislature website.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 04:50:04 PM »
I am keeping up.

Obviously not.

Bronson

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »
You're right. I'm not. My PDF link had red highlights. Yours had blue.

Offline METL

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »
Dog gone it.. I accidentally gave pat an applaud again already today...    this definitely called for a smite.    :D

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billengrossed/Senate/pdf/2011-SEBH-0761.pdf   

^^^^^^^^^   LInk to the updated one.... 

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 11:41:27 PM »
(A) THE PERSON REGISTERED THE FIREARM AS A PISTOL UNDER SECTION
2 OR 2A BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2013.
(B) THE PERSON WHO REGISTERED THE FIREARM AS DESCRIBED IN
SUBDIVISION (A) HAS MAINTAINED REGISTRATION OF THE FIREARM SINCE
JANUARY 1, 2013 WITHOUT LAPSE.
So these 26" - 30" Michigan pistols can no longer be carried as pistols once we do away with registration? Awesome.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 11:17:41 AM »
(A) THE PERSON REGISTERED THE FIREARM AS A PISTOL UNDER SECTION
2 OR 2A BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2013.
(B) THE PERSON WHO REGISTERED THE FIREARM AS DESCRIBED IN
SUBDIVISION (A) HAS MAINTAINED REGISTRATION OF THE FIREARM SINCE
JANUARY 1, 2013 WITHOUT LAPSE.
So these 26" - 30" Michigan pistols can no longer be carried as pistols once we do away with registration? Awesome.

If you have one before the end of this year, then you can continue to carry them. But you will have to have paperwork showing that it was registered before the grandfather date (papers please).
If anybody moves here after Jan 1 2013 they are SOL, if a better gun is made after that date we are SOL as far as being able to carry it.
Yes Mike Green and everybody that wanted this turd stripped away gun rights from every CPL holder in the state, plain and simple.

Good luck to people in the U.P. the last time I checked Bears and handguns are not a good combination.

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
Right, but I'd imaging that the whole maintaining registration part would be pretty tricky once we've gotten rid of our registration requirement, records, and mechanism.

Two obvious solutions to recover lost ground here are to adjust our transport regulation to allow loaded non-pistols and to adjust our concealed pistol licenses to allow the licensees to carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person.