Author Topic: MOC adopt a Highway Litter pickup CONTINUATION July 17th!  (Read 15957 times)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
MOC adopt a Highway Litter pickup CONTINUATION July 17th!
« on: April 29, 2010, 09:14:17 PM »

MOC Calendar of Events

We will be meeting at 7:00 AM on the 17th at the Panel Room Restaurant. There will be a short Safety meeting (required by the state) and I will hand out needed materials. We can plan to eat breakfast/brunch at the Panel Room and then we will load up and head over to the I94 and get to work. Remember this is a heavily traveled stretch of road and a great way to visibly get the word out!

I would recommend a pair of gloves and some sort of tool to pickup litter with! Bags will be provided.

You also might want bug spray and sunblock!!

If we have 3 people it will take 5 hours with 6 we could do it in 2.5 hours.

Directions

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:44:32 PM by autosurgeon »
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline tygereye

Re: MOC adopt a Highway Litter pickup July 10th!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:51:08 AM »
This would be a 3 hour hike for me, I would love to go, but would need some help with gas... Anyone in Oakland county want to ride with me? If I can get at least one other person to ride with me, I will definately be there... if not, probably won't make it... I can have up to 6 total adults in my vehicle. I get about 20+ miles per gallon on the freeway...

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 12:49:38 PM »
I hope you can find some carpool folks as we would appreciate the help over here!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

anetsprungen

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »
I'm planning on attending, but if the weather is anything like today, I'll have to abstain.  ???

My diabetes medicine makes me more vulnerable to heat exhaustion/heat stroke, not to mention more photo-sensitive to the sunlight. 

But I hope it can come together!  ;)

Roy
 8)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
I will have water available for those that are working.

Offline EM87

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 03:34:21 PM »
I'll be there.
"You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87 (from opencarry.org)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:37:26 PM »
Weather forecast is looking good low 80's and sunny! Bring those hats and sunglasses and sunscreen if you need it!

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 09:05:33 AM »
My brother and I will be leaving for Hartford in 30 min. See you all there!

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
Re: MOC adopt a Highway Litter pickup CONTINUATION July 17th!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »
Ok so here is an update on how it went.

First I would like to give a huge thankyou to Mosnar87 and EM87 for coming out and demonstrating that gun people can do good things!

The reactions of the people driving by were great lots of honking and waving. Lots of thumbs up.

The 5 hours that the three of us that showed up were out there were hot and exhausting mostly BC we had to walk twice the distance as we only had three people and couldn't leapfrog. We would park the vehicles and walk back to where we left off (in half mile increments) and then work back to the vehicles.

Anyway as a result in 5 hours we only got one side of the highway section done and will be back out there on the 17th to finish the job.

As I said the reaction was great but doing this with three people was not. We could have done the entire thing in 5 hours with 6 people for example.

Here are some pictures..

See the first post for the info on next weekend when we will be finishing the job.

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 06:44:44 PM »
Come on, people! This event should be BIG! Let's make it happen!
As autosurgeon mentioned we only had three(3) people show for the event today. :( If we have just a few more we can eliminate most of the extra walking and get our time down. We are starting this event earlier to avoid the heat of the day and even those of you who can't do physical labor could help out greatly by shuttling the others up and down the roadside. Please consider coming out and helping.

Thanks again to EM87 and autosurgeon for their hard work today.

Please respond below if you plan on being there on the 17th.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline EM87

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 07:57:49 PM »
I can be there until 1:30.  What time are we starting?
"You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87 (from opencarry.org)

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 09:34:44 PM »
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

anetsprungen

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 07:03:43 AM »
I'll give it a try.  Can't claim to stay for the whole event, though. 

Heat exhaustion and heat fatigue from direct sunlight are serious health concerns for me.  But the morning should have enough cloud cover to mitigate those concerns.

Roy
 8)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
That is why we are starting earlier... Also with 4 to 6 people we should be done in 2 to 3 hours instead of 5  ;D

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »
Isn't there anyone on that side of the state to participate? In excess of 400 miles round trip is asking a bit I think.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 05:47:46 PM »
Yes there are folks over here...

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 05:56:38 PM »
But they don't seem to want to help huh?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »
I don't know if it is that they DON'T want to or if it's a combination of health problems and work schedules..

Either way if we get a couple more we will be just fine.

And hopefully more will come out for the fall cleanup.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 07:24:01 PM »
Good luck with that. Maybe next time you may want to consider a stretch of road closer to the membership base. Or possibly in an area, like the UP, that members would want to do a group OC vacation in.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 05:41:29 AM »
I'll see you guys at 7:00 for breakfast!!!