Author Topic: MOC adopt a Highway Litter pickup CONTINUATION July 17th!  (Read 15960 times)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: MOC adopt a Highway Litter pickup CONTINUATION July 17th!
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
Pictures from today's activities!

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

anetsprungen

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 10:25:17 PM »
Good luck with that. Maybe next time you may want to consider a stretch of road closer to the membership base. Or possibly in an area, like the UP, that members would want to do a group OC vacation in.

This particular event was closer to the "membership base" as it was an event organized by and for the South West Region.  While other MOC, Inc. members were invited and would have been welcomed, the focus was on just one region.  The hope is that it will be expanded to other regions.

Perhaps the South West Region Coordinator would be willing to assist the other coordinators with setting up a similar event in their regions.  However, as I understand how the Michigan Adopt-a-Highway program is administered, they take a group's request under advisement and nominate their preferred stretch of road.  I believe I have read of some groups who were given an assignment but chose not to accept it because the location was too far away.

While it certainly became too hot too soon, it was a good event!  :)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 10:35:57 PM »
Thank you for your help Roy! And I hope that by following my plan for only 2 cleanups a year one in the spring and one in the fall the 90+ days can be avoided!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
Good luck with that. Maybe next time you may want to consider a stretch of road closer to the membership base. Or possibly in an area, like the UP, that members would want to do a group OC vacation in.

This particular event was closer to the "membership base" as it was an event organized by and for the South West Region.  While other MOC, Inc. members were invited and would have been welcomed, the focus was on just one region.  The hope is that it will be expanded to other regions.

Perhaps the South West Region Coordinator would be willing to assist the other coordinators with setting up a similar event in their regions.  However, as I understand how the Michigan Adopt-a-Highway program is administered, they take a group's request under advisement and nominate their preferred stretch of road.  I believe I have read of some groups who were given an assignment but chose not to accept it because the location was too far away.

While it certainly became too hot too soon, it was a good event!  :)

Oh I see it's just for the SW Region. It appeared to be MOC, Inc by the way assistance from the far reaches of the eastern area was being solicited. I guess then that a representative showing of members for the SW Region had occurred then.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 04:40:21 PM »
Pat it is not JUST for the South West region as you put it. It is however in the South West region which is why it is defined as such.

Note when we we originally decided to do this I was the only coordinator at the time. All the other regions either had not ever had a coordinator or did not have one at the time.

The original plan was for each region to adopt a section of highway somewhere in their region. I was given board approval for the wording on the sign. Since the application went in and also since it takes 3 to 6 months for the signs to be installed 4 months have passed since I applied for the section. In that time all but one region has a coordinator and some have a number of deputies also the board has changed as well. No other regions have to date adopted a section of highway.. however unless the board wishes to force the issue or make this a priority that is up to each coordinator.

Finally I am responsible for my region and will continue to do my best to do the job I was given to the best of my abilities.

I cannot run the other regions nor do I have any desire to do so. That is up to the Coordinators in those regions. If you would like to see a sign that says South East Region then Scott Webb is the man to discuss this with. If North West Region the Scott Siefertt is who you should talk with.  If Upper Peninsula then Jason Reese. As the North East region is currently still in need of a volunteer for the job well.. someone will have to step up in that area first.

My final point is that because we have regions and staff in most regions this makes us easier to contact. If some one sees that sign and googles around and finds our website they will know who to contact about that volunteer project. Otherwise they would have no idea.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »
My point was that since you said to location was cenral to the membership of your region, a representative showing of the membership for your region attended.

I was also making the observation in the other posts that you since you were putting out a request for help from everyone, that you made it seem that all of MOC shouldh have shown up. Your call to action should have been more specific that you wanted members in your jurisdictional area to step up and help.

This would have probably have helped to eliminated the guilt that some felt not being able to travel 4 hours round trip to assist.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 05:23:03 PM »
I am sorry if those in other regions felt guilt. I meant the call to help for my region ... but would not have turned down any help from other regions had it been forthcoming. I understand as well as anyone the time involved when the location is on the other side of the state. I have made it to a few events on the east side but only a few due to time and money considerations. That is why we have regional event sections.

On OCDO and MGO I unfortunately do not have such a luxury.

Also while the folks that showed were all from the SW region they are by no means all of the OCers over here. Many others had prior obligations. This is why I and other feel spring and fall will be better. Less interference with peoples summer vacation plans. Not to mention the temperature should be more tolerable!

anetsprungen

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 08:13:21 PM »
I was also making the observation in the other posts that you since you were putting out a request for help from everyone, that you made it seem that all of MOC shouldh have shown up. Your call to action should have been more specific that you wanted members in your jurisdictional area to step up and help.

CV67PAT,

Autosurgeon could not have been more specific.  The event was posted in the South West Region events board.

If I were to create another board for MOC - wide events/solicitations, would you consent to be the Moderator?  It appears one way to avoid future misunderstandings on the scope of an event's solicitations would be to use a separate board for developing interest, then moving it to the appropriate region that will sponsor it.

A few weeks ago, I did not have the knowledge to do that.  Now I do.

Roy
 8)